The End of 18Watt.com

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

s2

The End of 18Watt.com

Post by s2 »

It appears the mods have decided to pull the plug on 18watt.com. Man! I'm gonna miss that place!
tubetek

Re: The End of 18Watt.com

Post by tubetek »

SIGH!!!
It was never quite the same after the BBQ fiasco, but boy I sure learned a bunch there. (met several really fine people, too!) Sure gonna miss it...
tubetek
smokingun

Post by smokingun »

What a shame. I hope the new sewatt.com will archive the posts from 18watt.com. I was addicted to that site
malt

Post by malt »

Gonna miss 18watt :(
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
randyone

Post by randyone »

man...what a tragic loss - I guess power scaling and vjr pushed it over the edge
s2

Post by s2 »

I kinda felt like the new subject matter was kind of the normal evolution of things. I mean, the same group of guys and only build and mod variations of a single amp for so long. Eventually things have to broaden.

I think the BBQ Boy incident really put a bad taste in the mod's mouths and that was exacerbated by the influx of newbies who didn't match the profile of the customary 18W member.

I kind of wish the BBQ stuff had happened to me directly. I have enough $$ to b!tch slap him in court. :twisted: I guess the other guys just didn't want any part of it.
n8b

Post by n8b »

That's really too bad. I had just started to revisit the site and post again, and now it's gone. It's very sad indeed.
Alexo

Post by Alexo »

+1 on that.

Caught me pretty off-gaurd I have to say, but I learned an immeasurable amount of stuff from the good folks on that site, also got some killer bargains on great gear from other members.

I understand how the site outgrew its original goal, would be nice if it grew into something bigger rather than going kaput, but so it goes, it was run by volunteers, and if any are reading this, thanks for all the time you guys put in!!
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I was quite shocked this morning to find this too.

Lot's of great info there and great people...save for a few newbies that sent the regulars into orbit with their brash style.

Anyway, it's too bad it had to end like this. I guess we'll have to hang out here now :D
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Omar

Post by Omar »

I was a lurker there for a number of years but never posted or really paid attention to the politics. It was a good source of info and I still want to build an 18 watt trem one of these days.

Do you guys think that there would be any interest in starting an 18 watt section here or has that ship sailed?

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Dana-L

Post by Dana-L »

Hey guys,

It's good to see you here.

I almost feel like we've been working together at a small company that shut it's doors without warning.

Cheers,

-Dana
paulster

Post by paulster »

dartanion wrote:Anyway, it's too bad it had to end like this. I guess we'll have to hang out here now :D
We need to get Phil over here. With his technical knowledge and recently expressed interest in Ken's work...!
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

I would assume even the THREAT of legal action would far outweigh the EVJr issue. Legal threats can obviously dissuade people for standing up for their own rights. It certainly has over-ridden the right to free expression of opinion on 18watt.com :!:
When threatened like that, I have a tendency to say, "If you're feeling froggy, then jump!" :twisted: But then, again, sometimes you just get tired of fighting :(
I'll add my thanks to those who shared their expertise with all of us who are less knowledgeable. At least I'm more knowledgeable than I used to be :!:
You will be missed :!: :!: :!: :!: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
jimipage

Post by jimipage »

Dudes!!!
I can't believe it -- all without warning :cry: I'm actually upset :(
I wish there would have been some sort of heads-up about this. I have a lot of informative threads in my bookmarks, some of which have made for some invaluable education and assistance. I'm really gonna miss that place. I guess it's up to all of us to make sure that the same problems don't happen here.

Be Excellent to Each Other
gtrwun

Post by gtrwun »

I think that last 16 page fiasco with Mooreamps had to be the final straw. That thread was rediculous and I noticed several attemps by the regular members to get everyone to back off, and let it go........Really a shame :(