Camera/Photography

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

Camera/Photography

Post by C Moore »

Any of you guys into photography.?
What is a good forum for 35mm film cameras.?
My wife has part of a darkroom laying around, and she wants to get back into it again.
Thank You
John_P_WI

Re: Camera/Photography

Post by John_P_WI »

I used to hang out at photo.net about 10 years ago. There used to be a lot of high end photographers there, sorry, don't know what it is like today....

Digital has changed photography, for better or worse.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Film? that went out with vacuum tubes, didn't it?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

These days you ought to be able to buy a used Nikon or Cannon simple SLR with some auto features on eBait for a reasonable price, doncha think? I mean, she isn't looking for a Leica, is she?
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Phil_S wrote:These days you ought to be able to buy a used Nikon or Cannon simple SLR with some auto features on eBait for a reasonable price, doncha think? I mean, she isn't looking for a Leica, is she?
The actual camera is the least of the worries.
I am in process of looking for a Canon A-1.
But I will need advice (with buying THAT) and more importantly darkroom stuff, and just camera work in general.....something like a TAG for cameras.
Thanks
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

martin manning wrote:Film? that went out with vacuum tubes, didn't it?
Truer words....... :)
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

C Moore wrote:
Phil_S wrote:These days you ought to be able to buy a used Nikon or Cannon simple SLR with some auto features on eBait for a reasonable price, doncha think? I mean, she isn't looking for a Leica, is she?
The actual camera is the least of the worries.
I am in process of looking for a Canon A-1.
But I will need advice (with buying THAT) and more importantly darkroom stuff, and just camera work in general.....something like a TAG for cameras.
Thanks
I'll ask my dad about an A-1. If not is there anything else you are interested in? We are going to start selling some of his film camera collection on eBay (mostly as kits which brings top value IME) but maybe I can find you a decent setup. I've sold at least a few full AE-1 kits already and they're pretty bulletproof cameras. Not sure about servicing them anymore but there are some people still around that can help. Pretty decent amount of old Canon and Nikon 35mm stuff including lenses, adapters, flashes, the works. Shoot me a PM with what you need and I'll ask my dad what he thinks.

FWIW film is not dead, it's becoming cool in some circles again and in other places never really went away.

TAG is sort of a specialty forum that eventually became a bit more general purpose out of necessity. Good luck finding that anywhere else :)
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Well.....maybe I should have said a Gear Page equivalent :)
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

martin manning wrote:Film? that went out with vacuum tubes, didn't it?
LOL! Umm, no, more like vinyl records. Still cool in some places.
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

Man Oh Man .......thought I would find some nice Vintage/Film forums for 35mm.
Not much around that I can see from my Yahoo search.
Not sure if any of you guys are "into" cameras.....but there is a unique experience that exists with film and a darkroom.
There is a real kind of magic that happens when the door closes and the dim, red light comes on.
Sometimes it is the mistakes that are rewarding. Something you do not, could not plan for.....but something goes wrong, and the outcome is unique and beautiful.
But just the feeling you get in a darkroom is wonderful. Kind of like you enter a different world that is unique to film and absent from digital.
If I took a lot of pictures, or was a pro or semi-pro photographer, I would definitely want a good digital camera.
But as a strict hobby, film offers a skill unto itself. You step into a magic machine when you enter a darkroom. You close the door, and leave the rest of the world behind.....it really is a special feeling.....literally watching the birth of a photographic image. :)
roberto

Post by roberto »

Go to your national Canon forum.
At least we have some in EU, and there's alot of well known pros writing and giving help to newbies too.

I'm more in the digital reflex field, I'm sorry.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I've got some cannon lenses and flashes and other stuff that I don't know what it is I didn't figure film photography was still a thing
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I had a dark room 40 years ago. I was too young at the time to appreciate it, but thinking back, I totally understand the serrenity factor now.

On another note, I sold my Cannon A1 a handful of months ago, complete with two Cannon lenses (50mm f1.4 & 70-200mm f5.6) and a Sunpack 422 flash as well as several filters, padded bag, etc. I got $35 for the whole lot - litterally pennies on the dollar compared to what I paid all those years ago. The camera had a few issues though: a cracked prism and missing rewind knob, which occurred when I loaned it to my eldest stepson for his high school photography class.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I still have my Pentax K1000 35mm camera and two lenses but don't play with it now that digital is here.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Should we make a camera section? :P
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!