Radio Shack Bankruptcy

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jam-mill

Re: Radio Shack Bankruptcy

Post by jam-mill »

Just today I purchased some chrome panel-mount LED bezels and LEDs for a couple of stomp boxes. Nice to know that they still carry some things in case of an oversight on an order from one of the big electronic suppliers. Sadly, as in the case of the local Frys Electronics, they seem to be phasing out support for the electronic hobbyist.
John 15:12-13
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

RIP...I still go there occasionally when in the middle of a project. Although they have relegated all of our parts to that huge metal bin. I'd love to buy one of those when they go out. I remember taking the bus as a kid to Olson's and RS for various parts and pieces. At one time Olson's also carried some slot car stuff. Another of my passions...owning and operating slot car shops. I built a track over the Summer and when it came down to the wiring and electrical parts...a trip to Radio Shack was in order. I'll miss them.
Structo

Post by Structo »

They didn't seem to evolve over the years to what was happening to the market.

Then they turned into a Cell phone/ Battery store.

I remember arguing with a salesman years ago about a battery.

At the time they had a policy that if they didn't ask you if you needed a battery, you would get a free one.

I said, you didn't ask me if I needed a battery.
He said, I was just about to ask you! :lol:

Only went their out of desperation when I really needed something.
And most of the time they didn't have what I needed.

RIP Radio Shack.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Structo wrote:Only went their out of desperation when I really needed something.
And most of the time they didn't have what I needed.

RIP Radio Shack.
Unfortunately, this is what usually happens to me. I always have grand hopes, but unless it's an extremely common part (like a mini toggle switch or LED), they probably won't have it.
cbass

Post by cbass »

The one here uasualy had sloblo fuses.
The one in mnt. View had guitars and knives and guns and ammo
RWood

Post by RWood »

I used my last Realistic 12AX7 a few weeks ago in a Silvertone amp.
The first radio I built with my daughter is still in the closet.
Tandy typewriter used as printer, and realistic cassette deck that acted as hard drive on my first TRS-80 computer all bought at Radio Shack.

Lately one of the "sales associates" had no idea what a terminal strip was.
What a screwed up place this world is becoming!
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

That was one of the things that hurt the most was when they started hiring folks who had no clue what Radio Shack was. In the last 25 years or so I had to know what I was looking for and had to know where in the store to find it. They look at you with that"deer in the headlights look" like you are speaking a foreign language. They act as if that metal bin with the electronic parts in it is some forbidden treasure box.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Rat Shack stopped being useful in the early 70's. They still carried some useful parts then, but dealing with the morons they hired was always a chore if you needed something ordered from the catalog. It seemed like overnight they fired anyone with any intelligence and replaced them with kids from an ice cream shop! Then in the eighties when they started demanding to know so much about me...coupled with their ignorance about components, I felt like a unabomber suspect. For the last 15 years, I'd go there as a last resort for urgently needed parts, and of couse they never had them. Frankly, I'm suprised they lasted this long. I did just buy a nice cowhide from Tandy to make a new Disc Golf bag however. :D
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

mcrracer wrote:That was one of the things that hurt the most was when they started hiring folks who had no clue what Radio Shack was. In the last 25 years or so I had to know what I was looking for and had to know where in the store to find it. They look at you with that"deer in the headlights look" like you are speaking a foreign language. They act as if that metal bin with the electronic parts in it is some forbidden treasure box.
Generally true but we had some exceptions around here. One was a Shack that started very early, some of the franchise rules hadn't been worked out yet. They sold Fisher and a couple other hi fi brands, plus some CB and ham radio specialties. Shop was run by a couple of old ham guys and they did know their ass from their elbow. Of course that's all gone by the by 25 years ago.

Another local Shack in a mall, old white-haired guy behind the counter, another tech type. He knew right away they didn't have the lamp I was looking for. Retired IBM manager.

Two delightful cases - behind the Shack counter young women - who were seeking their EE degrees and got a job "in the industry" so to speak. They spoke electronics, and got right to the point, we have the part or not. Hope they're doing well wherever they went. It was a nice change but of course, that couldn't last.

cbass's shack with ammo etc, now that's what I call "fully stocked." :)
down technical blind alleys . . .
boots

Post by boots »

Sorry to see them go, but not too surprised. I recently bought all the 8 ohm 20 watt non-inductive resistors they had in their parts bin. They'll come in handy some day.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Did you guys know that Sprint bought 1750 of the Shack stores to increase their resale store count?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
xtian

Post by xtian »

Just heard that mentioned on NPR tonight. Anyway, no deals going down at my local. Business as usual.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
tsutt

Post by tsutt »

My local RS is still open and they said they are going to remain open. Will see.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I think Sprint is going to co-brand the stores, keeping them open as Shack but with a big Sprint sign.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

tsutt wrote:My local RS is still open and they said they are going to remain open. Will see.
The one nearest me is closing, and I took advantage of what they had left. Unbelievable savings. Cleaned out their stock of solder I use and boards, all marked down at least 50%. Some stuff was 80%... :D

After speaking with the only woman that was working there, she informed me that a few stores will be closing and that others will remain open. Echoes what tsutt said. Again, we'll see.

I think solder is the only thing I still buy locally. :lol: