Introduction

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Garthhog

Introduction

Post by Garthhog »

:twisted:

Greetings from North Texas! I have been lurking on this site for a little while... I think I have made a post or two, but nothing to write a book about. Anyway, I am new to amp building. I started in December of last year(2013), building a 2-channel 50W EL-34 based head of my own design* along with a rather large 2x12 closed back cabinet running G12M drivers. That project went so well (other than the obvious error of not derating the speaker drivers) that I decided that I wanted to do it for a living and founded Brown Amplification in April of last year.

For you folks that have been doing this for years, this may sound hasty and stupid, but am not one to shy away from a challenge. I freely admit to lacking the 30 years of tube amp repair and building that seems standard for most outfits. I have, however, spent the last 23 years as both a technician and electrical engineer in both military and commercial electronics. That being said, I have the utmost respect for the amp builders that grew up fixing and building tube amps... that experience can NEVER be replaced by a college degree. That is why I have lurked both here and at other forums... there is great wisdom here, and more than once it has helped me with design ideas and problem solving, so THANK YOU. I hope to be more of a contributor than a user in the future. I always consider myself a student, but I also hope that my "outside the box" technical experience can bring something new to the table. Time will tell.

anyway, HI!

-Ryan

*When I say "my own design", I really mean I studied a lot, borrowed a lot, then tweeked to my preferences. I've never done a clone, but I have borrowed heavily from a variety of designs.
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
M Fowler

Re: Introduction

Post by M Fowler »

Hello Ryan and welcome to TAG.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Greetings from lower Texas and welcome! Always good to see a fellow Texan builder. Hope you do well in your endeavors. :)

David
ampmike

Was up!!

Post by ampmike »

Hey Ryan,Great to hear from you,you found a great place here,awsome folks on ampgarage,looking forward to hearing from you.Wecome aboard and have a great weekend bro,Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Welcome to the Garage! I'm across town in Keller, good to have a fellow North Tejas dude in the group!!
Ron
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

Austin here, have also lived in Lubbock and Dallas over the years that I've been on this forum. I've met a few people on this forum and they're always great company.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.