Pics of my Latest Build

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boots

Pics of my Latest Build

Post by boots »

So many of you talented craftsmen do such beautiful work, I am embarrassed to post pics of my own builds. But I can't remain a gut-shot virgin forever. I want to invite you all to critique my work. I think I can take it. It will make me a better amp builder. When I look at the pics of my lead dress and soldering, I realize I'm not there yet!

This is an AX84 HO I built for my nephew. Not one of my best cabinets, but the amp sounds great. Two 12AX7's and a 6BQ5. The OT was salvaged from an old Sony reel to reel (sounds a lot sweeter than another AX84 I built using a Hammond OT).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
Blackburn

Re: Pics of my Latest Build

Post by Blackburn »

Cool build! Very clean. I love the rustic looking cab/faceplate you have going on there, especially with the wood burned text. Very nice! :D
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I one of the amateurs here. IMO, you have a very nice looking build there. Everything looks tidy and well organized. If it doesn't hum, it's a good build.

As for your solder joints, they get better with practice. I didn't give it a micro inspection, but what I see at a glance looks like it will hold up. There is a certain talent one develops over time to get just the right heat, just the right touch with the solder and the perfect looking joint. I think you've seen pictures posted here and there of work done by supposed pro's who don't exhibit 10% of your skill level.

Nice job. Enjoy it. And thank you for sharing.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

Nice.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Hell looks better than my work . hey if it doesn't hum and it sounds good and doesn't catch fire I'm happy.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Looks good.

I see you do some of the stupid stuff I do too, like facing all the resistors the same way.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Good lookin' amp, outside & in! Interesting the way you have filter caps distributed along the board, not all bunched up in one corner. I'll bet it sounds a treat.
down technical blind alleys . . .
NickC

Post by NickC »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:Good lookin' amp, outside & in! Interesting the way you have filter caps distributed along the board, not all bunched up in one corner..........
Looks great!

I'll second Leo's observation about the filter caps; I really like that idea and execution a LOT! Nice! 8)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looks good to me both the amp and cabinet. :)
briane

Post by briane »

yeah - those hammond OT's taste like a grilled cheese sandwich cooked in the microwave sounds!
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
jelle

Post by jelle »

Nice build!!! :D
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm a big fan of placing the caps like you did. It avoids long runs of B+ wiring and it allows you to easily ground the filter cap with the stage it supplies. Nice execution on that.
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentm

Post by brentm »

Sweet build man!!!

I love the Strat Plus too...
boots

Post by boots »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

I can't take the credit for the cap placement - that was AX84's layout. It makes a lot of sense though. The only thing I changed from the AX84 layout was I moved the guitar input to the rear panel to shorten the distance from the input jack to the tube socket. I also omitted the fizz cap.

It's a pretty foolproof design, and honestly, it is my go-to amp for everyday playing. I am addicted to the sound of it. The master volume makes it possible for me to play guitar every day without bothering the family.
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?