Selling gear...where to price it?...where to sell it?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Selling gear...where to price it?...where to sell it?

Post by vibratoking »

I am about to put quite a few items up for sale. I've too much and need to lighten the load.

How do you guys find competitive pricing for gear? I typically go to reverb.com and ebay. On ebay, I look at the sold pricing. Reverb.com seems to have pretty high pricing on most items. What's up with that? Ebay is what it is, but at least one can see what the item sold for. Any other good places to compare? Is it me, or are gear prices inflating lately?

Then next question is where to sell it. Currently, my first choice is local Craigslist. Next is reverb.com. Local music stores here pretty much suck, so consignment isn't really a good option. Ebay is not really a choice for me for all the known reasons.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Blackburn

Re: Selling gear...where to price it?...where to sell it?

Post by Blackburn »

I feel ya VK. I'm about to list a couple of amps and I was thinking of jumping on the Reverb.com wagon myself. I'm actually planning on listing here first. There're the occasional hit and runs by people looking for stuff, vintage or otherwise, and they just might be in the market for what you list. Craigslist is a pipedream for me where I am, unless it's mass production cheap gear, which I have none of. I'm not comfortable selling expensive things on Ebay that are subject to the opinion of the buyer, who can very easily come up with a story about mishandling or lies from the seller if he/she simply doesn't like it, and you know Ebay will be in their corner. I'm curious of other options as well.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It may depend on what you are selling. Examples?
xtian

Post by xtian »

vibratoking wrote:Reverb.com seems to have pretty high pricing on most items. What's up with that?
Same as used gear on TGP. It's not an auction, so prices are set optimistically high by the seller. You can try the "Make an Offer" thing. Anyway, as sellers get bored or desperate, they drop their prices until it sells.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

2005 Gibson Historic SG standard
2000ish Howard Roberts Fusion III
1990 ES335
Godin Freeway SA...synth guitar for use with 2 items below
Axon AX100
Yamaha Motif ES rack
Roger Mayer Octavia and VoodooVibe
Keeley/Boss Blues Driver
Analogman/Boss SD1
Mesa Lonestar Special 1x12 combo
Fuchs ODS50 1x12 combo
Mesa Mark III head and metal grill 4x12 cab

that's some of it off the top of my head at work...more when I get home and start diving in.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

You could let your fiends, eh,,, friends here on TAG have a shot, put it in our swap shop.

MEF has one too, their flea market. Costs nothing to join but like here, some might be suspicious when a new member starts flogging gear. Not that it doesn't happen, there's a guy flogging Russki tubes all the way from Murmansk Apparently he joined to use the free flea. How successful he's been, don't know.

Audio Asylum has their AA Trader. You can join for nothing but you gotta pony up some cashburger to sell. For a $25 membership you get to run some # of ads, for $50 - more ads. Mostly hi fi stuff but other things have made their way there.

Lastly & most costly Gbase. I don't know what the join fee is (expect it's not cheap) but it does keep out the junk sellers. OTOH tire kickers & tomato squeezers pretty much stay away; they attract serious buyers. Even with a steep annual seller's fee, one local store near here has done very good business thru Gbase over the last 10 years or so. They sell more gear over the internet than thru the store, vintage, collector gear as well as not-so-valuable but still interesting odds n ends.
down technical blind alleys . . .
mcrracer

Post by mcrracer »

Please excuse my ignorance...but what is MEF? I am looking for some Russki tubes , 6n2p and 6p1p thanks
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

music-and-electronics forum

There is a mass move away from Ebay to Reverb. That is the reason the 2x prices are there. Price your suff reasonably lower than the next similar lowest price and be happy.

Gbase is a hell hole and they recent;y screwed themselves and their users by changing the interface into an unsearchable pile of shit.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
brentm

Post by brentm »

pawn shop!

j/k

Sell the pedals on here... The higher priced items might be better on ebay or reverb.com

The owner of my local guitar dealer told me that ebay owned reverb.com or part of it... I couldn't find any information online to support that...

I do loathe selling online now.. .there are just too many dishonest buyers that leverage the paypal buyer's advantage.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

mcrracer wrote:Please excuse my ignorance...but what is MEF? I am looking for some Russki tubes , 6n2p and 6p1p thanks
You'll find 'em no doubt. Yuryi keeps his prices high, gotta buy a lot of fuel oil to keep his office livable way up there on the Arctic Ocean. Plus postage of course. No rubles please!

Miles, I wasnt' aware of Gbase's search follies. That is a dam' shame - they were a go-to place for a long time.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Gbase doesn't love us anymore. Nothing but holdovers from the top of the market and you can't make sense of the damned listings. I just checked it. It's better than a week ago. I guess they know they messed it up..

If you want to freak out, take a look at Walter Carter's list and Gruhn's..

Keeerash!

Carter has a couple things I like at almost the price I'd like them at. George. I never thought I'd call him inexpensive..

Gruhn's is inexpensive... ish.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Carter Vintage in Nashville? If you want me to check something out in person, let me know. I don't need much of an excuse to go in there. I might have to wait until after the freezing rain that's coming this afternoon...... :evil:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

The all gold 54. I already chatted with the owner. I want to use trades though. Dun't think it's gonna happen.

They have TW 'Kitty' onsite. video on YT of Ed playing the 54 goldy through it.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

All gold! Just peeped it - pretty cool. My old band mate had this '54 that I nearly killed him for.....

Sorry to go off topic. OP - doesn't seem to be a good time or any good place to sell anything yet. I have stuff I am keeping in piles just because of same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I took the lazy way and started posting on the local Craigslist using price ranges from reverb.com and ebay. Don't feel like boxing and shipping yet. I sold $3k worth of stuff in about a week at a profit! I am surprised how smoothly this has gone. Some of this stuff was older digital stuff and it still sold. It looks to me like the market is strong for sellers. But, I do have another $15k to go, so the hard part might be coming.