Deleted Posts - Policy Change Possible?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pdf64

Deleted Posts - Policy Change Possible?

Post by pdf64 »

A heap of threads are now in a least some degree of a nonsensical state due to a member deleting their (often numerous) contributions.
How about putting in place, if possible, a limited period during which posts can be edited, eg 24 hours? After which no editing is possible.
I think that's how it works at MEF.
roberto

Re: Deleted Posts - Policy Change Possible?

Post by roberto »

That's how it works almost everywhere.
I agree.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Great point! I support that as well.

Also, what is the policy about making threats to physically hurt other members? We had that happen recently, and I did not see any follow up on that.

I do not think no follow up is sufficient.

But as a starter, I would think having the policy clear would be good.

Greg, Allyn?
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I vote yes on this as well. The member mentioned has contributed some very good info. I'm sorry if he and a couple of the other members here are having a quarrel. I wish they could just get along. No sense in removing vital parts of discussions due to their argument.
Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Sad situation all round.
:?
Why Aye Man
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

jelle wrote:Great point! I support that as well.

Also, what is the policy about making threats to physically hurt other members? We had that happen recently, and I did not see any follow up on that.

But as a starter, I would think having the policy clear would be good.

Greg, Allyn?

Yeah...I do not know all the details, well.....too bad all that happened.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm going to buck the crowd so far. It's my view we don't need a policy to address things that occur infrequently. Basically, I think we have an isolated case that's been dealt with as well as circumstances allow. If we were dealing with this sort of thing on a regular basis, the whole vibe of the forum would be different. I'm not sure a policy like the one suggested could fix a bad vibe. Let's ride this one out. It will pass.
jelle

Post by jelle »

I disagree:
jelle wrote:Also, what is the policy about making threats to physically hurt other members? We had that happen recently, and I did not see any follow up on that.

cbass

Post by cbass »

This is the last I'm ever gonna say about this.
What exactly did Matt ever contribute?. Except incoherent ramblings and flat out misinformation,running his mouth about how his designs are superior to everyone else's. And whining about a situation he created himself.
He hugely disrespeced me and all I was saying if someone did that to my face in real life we're gonna hook it.that's not a threat .
Yes I showed my ass it sure could have been handled better but it was about time someone said something . I know for a fact I'm not the only one that feels this way.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Matt proved himself, repeatedly, to be knowledgable in matters both theoretical and practical, and gave me concrete and insightful advice that significantly improved my amp builds.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

His thread rant of his personal history should have never been allowed to progress as far as it did, his backstory was totally outside the scope of the forum. Letting it stand and him feeding from it in some ways laid a foundation which only opened the door leading to the past few days events, the blowup and meltdown was inevitable.

Let's talk about threats; what defines a threat and what exactly is the course of action. Do we go as far labeling a member a cyber bully and reporting them to authorities as well?

IIRC, wasn't there some soft threats to law enforcement that he himself made. Shouldn't he been warned, been deleted or even reported? Do we give free passes to members because we feel sorry for them or feel the are technically knowledgable?

No use in creating more rules if they won't be effectively enforced. Effective policing keeps any forum on track. If thats means Mods deleting certain comments or threads so be it, IHMO posting on TAG is not a birthright.

TM
The Ballzz

Post by The Ballzz »

I can certainly understand both sides of this discussion about the rules here. It is, however, my considered opinion (with no slam on anyone in particular) that no one should be able to bastardize a whole, old, lengthy and detailed thread by removing their posts, no matter what their contribution was/wasn't. A lot of folks peruse this site looking for detailed info and it can be quite confusing when there are "gaps!" Most other sites only allow deletion and/or editing for a few days.

Now as far as a Moderator deciding that a non pertinent, idiotic or offensive post needs to be deleted, well, that's a different story!
Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
Gene
NickC

Post by NickC »

I'd be in favor of a button in every user profile, in every phpBB forum the world over, where a forum member could delete all their posts and remove themselves from the board, with only these two pop ups to ensure it's not accidental:

Sure?

<followed by>

Really, Really, Really Sure (because there ain't no going back)?

I'm not holding my breath for it.
drew

Post by drew »

I think that there should be a few day "cooling off period" in which a member can edit or delete any of his posts, but beyond that, posts should be permanent. if there is some special need to change or delete an older post -- really wrong/bad advice, libelous comments, etc. -- it should be possible for the site owners/admins/mods to take care of it.

Also, I very much agree with ToneMerc's comments above.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I agree with both tonemerc and cbass.
cbass just puts it a little more bluntly and that's one of the things we like about him.