HOW MUCH DO I NEED?!?!?!?!?!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guittech

HOW MUCH DO I NEED?!?!?!?!?!

Post by guittech »

Hey Guys, i am sure this has been asked before, but let's make another go round of it...

hanging out with my drummer Buddy yesterday, having a pretty boring and terrible Jam, and I don't really "play" music other than that... He is in other bands, but I don't like to play out.

SO.

I don't play out (never did that much) I don't jam with friends, i don't like to play by the campfire... I am a grumpy ornery guy when it comes to playing.

BUT

I have a few PRS guitars and amps at home... More PRS guitars and a few amps at my Buddy's place... and even MORE PRS guitars and a few amps/projects at work, in my workshop.

If I never play, do I need 8+ higher end guitars, and 6-7 tube amps?

Am i crazy?
John_P_WI

Re: HOW MUCH DO I NEED?!?!?!?!?!

Post by John_P_WI »

Clearly there is a problem here. I'll be happy to provide therapy counseling to help you through this affliction. Let's start by having you send 1 guitar or amp to me every month until you feel that the burden has been lifted... :lol:

Seriously, I expect that you are in the norm with this group and most of us have a similar "collection".

Asking how much do you need is like asking a woman "how many shoes does she need"... It is a trick question with no quantifiable answer :twisted:
davidjon_99

Post by davidjon_99 »

guittech wrote:
If I never play, do I need 8+ higher end guitars, and 6-7 tube amps?

Am i crazy?
What? You're crazy for asking that question. Of course you need all that...and more. Biggest problem I see is that you don't have a tube amp for every guitar. :D
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Why grumpy and ornery when playing music? It's one moment when you should not be. I would sell a guitar and an amp and use the money to pay a shrink. You need to get to the bottom of this. :P
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
guittech

Post by guittech »

vibratoking wrote:Why grumpy and ornery when playing music? It's one moment when you should not be. I would sell a guitar and an amp and use the money to pay a shrink. You need to get to the bottom of this. :P
lol, probably.

Truth is i had a stroke a few years back (VERY minor) and my playing suffered quite a bit. The hands don't have as much dexterity as they once did.

Add to that, that my singing voice has gotten weaker and developed a more "goat-like" quality, it's been a bummer to play. I of course can't walk away from it all, as i fix guitars for a living, so I've always got one in my hands when I'm on the clock, which makes me associate them with work, instead of relaxation. I am sure I'll muddle through this, as I've hit ruts in the past. Just somethimes wonder why i bother with the obsessive gear lust.
:D
rp

Post by rp »

Am i crazy?
All that PRS crap and you don't have a nice old D-18? Yeh, you are crazy :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

I have had health issues that have affected my guitar playing as well.
It's very frustrating when you have trouble playing something that you have
played for 30-40 years.

Getting old sucks.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
guittech

Post by guittech »

rp wrote:
Am i crazy?
All that PRS crap and you don't have a nice old D-18? Yeh, you are crazy :)
Never been much of a Martin Fan..... I play Larivee for my acoustic madness...
rp

Post by rp »

A Larrivee will do. I wouldn't kick a larrivee D-50 out of bed.
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

Look,
If we all only bought one guitar american guitar companies would have been out of business a ways back.
Keep America working...Buy More Guitars!!
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
kkregsg

Post by kkregsg »

In addition to my few electrics, I'm lucky enough to be the original owner of a 1971 Martin D-28S- a wider neck, 12 fret, and my main guitar since 1972. Cool story how I came to own it for another post. When my Dad passed away in 1997 (he's the one who taught me to play!), I used part of his estate to become the ecstatic owner of a Larrivee jumbo cutaway, in which they mistakenly included the electronics, so I got them for free rather than them remaking the guitar. My primary performance guitar now, and the Martin stays at home mostly.
I dabble poorly with electric, but I'm really an acoustic guy, usually solo performance to avoid the brain sucking horror of ego tantrums. My twin brother and I have been playing together since 6th grade, so we specialize in ensemble playing, with everyone getting a chance to show off. The brain damage of the "I'm the only person in the group that matters" is NEVER worth someone's talent to me. I'd rather play solo than have to find a place to bury the body. As my brother says, "It's still brain damage, but it's MY brain damage."
rp

Post by rp »

kkregsg wrote:1971 Martin D-28S
Very very nice. Early East Indian rosewood could be very good wood before all the farmed cloned stuff now.

We still haven't helped resolve if the OP should sell off his PRSs ... or buy more and help the economy.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

When asked how many amps do you really need, I always reply, "just one more."
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

This is a shame. I am not the best player, but I get a lot of joy out of doing it. Sometimes you have to look backwards to go forward. Is there a time when you really found your bliss playing guitar? Your answer is there.
rp

Post by rp »

sluckey wrote:When asked how many amps do you really need, I always reply, "just one more."
I don't even need one amp, I do need to build them however. Beats me, pretty darn useless obsession.