Google Chrome Sez Ampgarage is a "Suspect site"

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brentm

Re: Google Chrome Sez Ampgarage is a "Suspect site"

Post by brentm »

Phil_S wrote:
brentm wrote:My guess is they're attempting to deploy ransomware.
So just tell me, tell us, should we take a vacation from TAG while the admins fix it? Or is it not really broken?
Well, I think we all assume a certain amount of risk browsing the internet.... driving a car... etc. And we can all mitigate some of that risk with some good practices... i.e. workstation hardening.

I hope everyone doesn't take a break from TAG. This forum is too cool. The big red warning in Chrome is disappointing...

At the risk of pissing off some of the folks here, it is dangerous to browse the internet with XP. My suggestion for those who make that choice is keeping offline backups (i.e. unplug the drive after the backup completes).

But to answer your question. I don't think these hackers have any exploits that haven't already been patched. But if you can't patch...
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yah XP is for local only machines nowadays.

And yes, I know that anything since is a terrible piece of crap. Sad, that.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Wonderful.

So all this marketing guff about firewalls and anti-malware software and backup external drives for security etc is just so much happy horseshit?

And Microsoft is still lying to us about their newer operating systems too?

But XP doesn't crash, although it has has holes in it any Russian/North Korean/Chinese gov't assholes can drive a Mack truck thru?

Did I get all this right?

So what am I, a poor internet/technologically challenged neophyte, to do, besides bend over and enjoy it?
brentm

Post by brentm »

David Root wrote:Wonderful.

So all this marketing guff about firewalls and anti-malware software and backup external drives for security etc is just so much happy horseshit?

And Microsoft is still lying to us about their newer operating systems too?

But XP doesn't crash, although it has has holes in it any Russian/North Korean/Chinese gov't assholes can drive a Mack truck thru?

Did I get all this right?

So what am I, a poor internet/technologically challenged neophyte, to do, besides bend over and enjoy it?
I think the last part is right... XP has holes in it that just about anyone with a copy of Kali Linux can drive a Mack truck through.

Internet crime has reached a new level of sophistication... and they're playing the numbers game. It's best to shut down XP and boot up to something more recent..
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx brentm. I guess I'll have to replace xp after all. Sorry to see it go, but..... Which of the newer operating sytems would you recommend? Just for e-mails and Ampgarage, basically. We still watch movies on TV!
brentm

Post by brentm »

David Root wrote:Thanx brentm. I guess I'll have to replace xp after all. Sorry to see it go, but..... Which of the newer operating sytems would you recommend? Just for e-mails and Ampgarage, basically. We still watch movies on TV!
It depends...

MacBook if you're not too budget minded. Windows 8 w/ free 10 upgrade otherwise.

But for ONLY emails and Ampgarage.com forum... How about an iPad with a keyboard? Somewhat cheap.. easy... great battery life and a great screen. And they are extremely convenient!!!
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx but I already have a CPU and a keyboard, and my wife's eyesight needs a 27" monitor screen which I just bought.

So I'll look into those options. I thought Mac software only works in Mac computers, is that no longer true?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Unfortunately I can't recommend any operating system, and no, Apple doesn't run on windows box. I am in strong opposition to Apple for oh so many dollars and practices. Rolling over artists and consumers like a bulldozer.

Terrible software arrangement as well.

Your hardware will dictate somewhat what you will be able to use with the later win systems. Some of it may not work.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Thanx reel. I'll look into Windows 8/10. I have an ex-colleague (I retired) who is a computer whiz, maybe he can give me some details.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have a vista box (terrible) and a 7 box here. 8 acts like a telephone. You won't like it. 10 will be free from what I hear.

7 is actually ok as long as your hardware plays nice. It's also outmoded though. no support.

8 is so terrible.
brentm

Post by brentm »

David Root wrote:Thanx but I already have a CPU and a keyboard, and my wife's eyesight needs a 27" monitor screen which I just bought.

So I'll look into those options. I thought Mac software only works in Mac computers, is that no longer true?
Is the keyboard USB?

Can you give me the model number of your new monitor?.

Windows 10 will be the next big hit. They bring back the start menu but keep the live tile (windows 8 ) content on some icons.

If you give me a dollar range, I can look at some reasonably priced Dell options for you.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Reeltarded wrote: I am in strong opposition to Apple for oh so many dollars and practices. Rolling over artists and consumers like a bulldozer.
Yup. Big dollar American company that outsources all production if it's listening devices to China while hosing the artists being played on same. Blow me.
brentm

Post by brentm »

stelligan wrote:
Reeltarded wrote: I am in strong opposition to Apple for oh so many dollars and practices. Rolling over artists and consumers like a bulldozer.
Yup. Big dollar American company that outsources all production if it's listening devices to China while hosing the artists being played on same. Blow me.
C'mon now - let's not turn this conversation sideways.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

brentm wrote:
stelligan wrote:
C'mon now - let's not turn this conversation sideways.
You turned it sideways when you suggested that a Mac is solution to a virus/malware problem. It's not.

We haven't yet mentioned the abuse of suppliers and how many companies have been forced in bankruptcy due to Apple's rape and pillage philosophy. Giving Apple your money is giving similar to funding a terrorist organization. :P
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
David Root

Post by David Root »

brentm, my keyboard is a Dell SK8135. It has two USB ports. I think its main output cable is a USB at the CPU end too, but hardwired at the keyboard.

My new monitor is an ACER K272HL, the cheapest 27" I could find. Got good reviews "for the price".

My CPU is a very elderly Dell Optiplex GX-280 with a newer hard disk in it. A quick look on the web shows lots of folks upgrading this "old warhorse" but I wouldn't have two clues to rub together about that.

Sounds like Windows 10 is my best option in operating system....

Update: talked with my ex-colleague computer guy. He says it would cost more to upgrade the basic CPU than it would cost to buy a new refurbished Dell off their website, with Windos 7 or 8 in it, then go to 10 in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by David Root on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.