Where are the amp builds?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Where are the amp builds?

Post by M Fowler »

Is it just me or has this forum gone from being an amp building forum to a help me diagnose my amp?

Just because I had to stop building doesn't mean you all get a break too :lol:

Mark
John_P_WI

Re: Where are the amp builds?

Post by John_P_WI »

There definitely has been a slowdown in the last year. Market saturation, burnout, change in interests, financial etc, who knows the cause??
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've been holding off selling all my chassis and components but when I do I have a shit load of stuff. :)
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I've been holding off building for various reasons lately, next year should be better for me. Maybe your selling off will correspond with my upswing in builds. I need to finish the 10 plus pedals in process and a sdr ham radio transceiver first.... keep me posted on the purge...
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

It's just a hobby with me. I'm more likely to build an amp during the winter months than any other time. I've got an AO-63 conversion just waiting for cool weather.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

All a hobby for me as well.

I had a very serious case of pneumonia back in mid February. That quickly led to a acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) diagnosis and a 40 day medically induced coma while they figured out how to kill the infection and to tempt my respiratory system back into "go-mode".

Deep vein thrombosis (from the 40 days of inactivity) and pulmonary embolisms added some icing on the cake!

All that to say that my spring and summer amp projects were put on hold while I recover.

Rock on,
Dave O.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Dave, get well buddy you've gone through a lot.

Mark
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Thanks Mark!
Yep...I am getting better slowly but surely.
Cheers,
Dave O.
drew

Post by drew »

M Fowler wrote:
Just because I had to stop building

Mark
How come?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

drew wrote:
M Fowler wrote:
Just because I had to stop building

Mark
How come?
Health issues.
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

Yep.

I had a stroke 4/30/15 in my Dad's hospital room. He passed 5/3...

They found I have a heart murmur/aortic stenosis.

Now I'm waiting on open heart / valve replacement.

If I make it relatively unscathed, I'll probably finish the 4 builds I was in the middle of...

Health issues suck.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Simpson on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Here's to your health Bob and Mark
hope you get well
As far as building I'm in the middle of selling a few old builds to finance
a few new builds. BTW I got dinged by ebay for using Trainwreck in my listing
of my 6V6 express build
I completely screwed the pooch on that :oops:

D
xtian

Post by xtian »

Just passed my five year anniversary here, when I started amp building. Five years ago in April I started asking absolute newbie questions about how to renovate my Packard Bell Space Age Stereo. No idea what an electrolytic cap was or did. Good times.

Since then I have built some three dozen scratch builds, and achieved my goal of learning what a variety of the best known and loved amps sounds like and how they work. Learned both that people WAY overpay for boutique snake oil, AND that there really is "wizard-level" value in deep knowledge and hard earned experience. And that we're blessed that those wizards live here and share! Have also leveraged my skills to bring in a little money on the side doing repair jobs, so THANK YOU!

Now I've slowed down on new builds because I have too many amps, and have satisfied a good part of my curiosity.

But there's always the latent desire to do ONE more, prettier/nicer/better/perfectly.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have one finished build that needs some debugging, another one that just needs to be put into its new head cab, and four new projects waiting in line!

I'm finding that retirement is not giving me as much free time as I thought it would. My wife needs me to drive her these days, I do the laundry because its in the basement & she can't do the stairs, and we both have medical appointments. Plus it's summer and I'm getting lazy as I get older.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I am slowly preparing for a rebuild. I am converting a 4210 to a 2204 combo. I owe a lot to the forum for the knowledge. I'll start a thread when I get under way. Basically I am starting with an empty chassis and the transformers, so it is mostly a build.