Again - please, web master, fix the attack site stuff

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

R.G.

Again - please, web master, fix the attack site stuff

Post by R.G. »

I would be happy to help all I can; I've had a similar problem with my site, and I went through the rigamarole to get it un-listed. There are tools that can help, too.

I'm starting to be concerned that no one is watching and the site is a coasting zombie.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Again - please, web master, fix the attack site stuff

Post by HeeBGB »

I assure you I am watching the site. Unfortunately I do not admin the server or the forum software. Allyn is working on upgrading the software. I will call him again tomorrow and maybe he can weigh in
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

For what it is worth, check this out.

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diag ... com/&hl=en
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

The site is being watched. The site is being scoured for any viruses or malware. As you can see by the above report, the site IS NOT dishing out malware.

Google has listed this site along with thousands recently saying the same thing. Suspicious site...no trouble mind you but, their bots don't like it...

I really hate Google.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

sliberty wrote:For what it is worth, check this out.
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diag ... com/&hl=en
Yes; I have checked that out, when my browser first turned it up, and every time before I log in. The continued negative report is what convinces me to log in.

I worked on some malware eradication in a past life, and I'm probably just gun-shy because of it. :lol:
Allynmey wrote:The site is being watched. The site is being scoured for any viruses or malware. As you can see by the above report, the site IS NOT dishing out malware.
Good to know. If you're sure there isn't any malware here, that changes the google alert to a persistent annoyance to every user. It trains the users to ignore the warnings.

The problem with that, of course, is that if the site really does get compromised, all the users ignore any real warnings.
Google has listed this site along with thousands recently saying the same thing. Suspicious site...no trouble mind you but, their bots don't like it...
Yes, I know.

On the other hand, they listed MY site (geofex.com), and I went through the typical path - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

It was only after I got through those ( :lol: ) that I got with it, went off and used the webmaster tools to locate a sample of the stuff they found in my site, then combed through it all and found the well-hidden spamming additions down in the html. That let me comb the html with a text search utility and find all instances.

Once I'd done that, I requested a rescan, and Google removed the warning in less than 24 hours. It was a PITA, but once I got to work it only lasted about a day.

I suspect that you're much better at web site maintenance than I am - web software is NOT my speciality - so you've already long ago blasted through the steps to find and eradicate anything that set off the bots, real or only false-positive malware. That would make it quick and easy to fix the warning, I think. At least that was my experience.
I really hate Google.
Lots of people do.

As an old fart, I get philosophical from time to time. People make deals with the Devil not because they don't know he's the Devil, but because they think they'll come out ahead. Enough people do come out ahead to keep the Devil in business. :D
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

It's not just an inconvenience for me. Right now, my iPad is the only way
I can log in and read content on this site. Safari on the iPad does not complain or warn of an issue. On my desktop computer (where this blind, old fart would much rather be interacting with TAG), it is completely impossible to log in: when I click "ignore warning" and then reconfirm that's what I "really want to do", then click Log In, then click ignore warning yet again, and confirm, I am finally brought to the log in screen. I enter my credentials and click Log In, and I am, yet a third time, warned about the site and once again, I click Ignore Warning and confirm that's what I really want to do, I am taken to the top (index, I guess?) page, BUT I AM NOT LOGGED IN! I am using Safari on an older Mac Pro, running OSX 10.10.3
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
rp

Post by rp »

Wonder if newbies are being scared away? If this keeps up TAG will just become a social club for the neighborhood farts, like a cafe in a remote little Italian town.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Saluti, il mio amico!
rp

Post by rp »

Benvenuto Martin, ti posso offrire un caffe'? Dopo si fa una partita a Briscola.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I'm not much for cards, but there are app's for that!

Back on topic, I think you are right, the continued warnings will scare people off. I am doing fine with it turned off, but I have noticed a spate of spam in my e-mail lately. Related?

BTW, are you following le Tour de France?
rp

Post by rp »

I still watch and follow it, but not with the same ardor I had in the past, though I still love to watch the summery French country side roll by for several mellow hours. The relentless doping scandals have taken away the innocent joy I used to have for the sport. I used to really believe these guys were super-men powered by passion, wine, and pasta. I also don’t really like that they are slowly making it the Tour de Europe, a global corporate mega billion euro churning machine like FIFA and Formula One, and I’m sure just as structurally corrupt as those. Not that I can offer an alternative, if they create a new pan-euroland race the TdF becomes a second banana, so if the TdF wants the fame, hype and pile of filthy lucre they have to become the Pan-Euro event. Bummer, the charm for me was that it was once so 110% French.

But, yes, I think it’s very great the Brits are producing bike champs. Doped or not it’s still the hardest sport in human history. Plus if they are all doped does it matter?

BTW FYI used to be that every bar in Italy would have the Giro and Tour on the TV. Here you didn’t get highlights but the whole afternoon-long race. So the pensioners and unemployed would park themselves in the cafes and the working people would pop in and out and check the status, have a chat and buy each other espressos or little glasses of wine. It was a fun and social three weeks. Hardly any of the cafes/taverns have TVs anymore (it’s become a burdensome 800-1000€ /year tax now) or they’ve become too false tony and effete for mundane sports on the TV. The young people don’t seem to care much either, or just check updates on their smartphones I guess. One more thing to irk me about modern Italy.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Most bar-restaurants here with any pretense of a sports orientation will have so many screens that it is impossible to find a seat without a view of at least one. I'd be very surprised to find a bike race on any of them, but things are changing- the women's world cup made it on in at least some locales.

Doping and corruption have been present to some degree throughout all sports since forever, and I don't think that will change any time soon. From Il Campionissimo himself:

Question: Do cyclists take la bomba (amphetamine)?
Answer: Yes, and those who claim otherwise, it's not worth talking to them about cycling.
Question: And you, did you take la bomba?
Answer: Yes. Whenever it was necessary.
Question: And when was it necessary?
Answer: Almost all the time!

So how's the site clean-up going, Allyn?
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Here's an update to my situation: I have also had Chrome installed on my system for ever, alongside Safari. I tried Chrome yesterday, and not only does it give the same warning, but there is no "Ignore Warning" button! So I installed FireFox, and it seems to be working. I did have to go into Preferences/Security and uncheck "Block Attack Sites" to get this to work. So I will use FireFox for TAG and nothing else. I am camping happily again!
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
rp

Post by rp »

You can't really hijack this thread, it's in the garage!

I know they always doped, even in the days of Fausto Coppi but it was always with a nod and wink and out of the mass public eye and no one made tens of millions in salary and hundreds of millions in sponsorships off the cheat. The doping was more down to earth, a Gauloises, a glass of wine, a bennie and you were off. It's so very tech now, too sci-fi dystopia for me. And there wasn't the Italian or French Police arresting whole teams and staff and Interpol and the FBI involved and players and coaches ratting on each other. And certainly no one getting stripped of titles, much less seven of them. It was easier to maintain the illusion and maybe part of the fun. For me it's gotten tawdry.

BTW want to know why Italy makes good cyclists? The roads here suck! Full of wheel and teeth breaking potholes, no shoulder, no room, more diesel and two stroke exhaust than oxygen, insane road noise, and the only place for some shade and peace and quiet is up some impossible endless mountain. You really have to LOVE riding a bike.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Last edited by rp on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

rp, I like the sound of "a cafe in a remote little Italian town". I hope to visit Italy before I kick the bucket.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture