Again - please, web master, fix the attack site stuff

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rp

Re: Again - please, web master, fix the attack site stuff

Post by rp »

It's getting more and more difficult to get in...
You need the secret passphrase: "there are frogs in my hovercraft" - oops, now it's not a secret...
roberto

Post by roberto »

Is anyone doing anything about this issue?
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Whenever I Google something technical and it points back here, I'm blocked. I know that I can come in and search internally. Outsiders don't. We're losing credibility by the day. If the site were monetized, this would have been resolved long ago. Downside of pro bono, I guess.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

It's pretty clear by now - it's not going to be fixed.

The only shot I see for the attack listing going away is that Google's listing may expire sometime if they crawl it long enough without finding a problem.

I guess we can hope that Google can fix it by benign neglect.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I putting all my eggs in the benign neglect basket.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
R.G.

Attack warnings are probably permanent.

Post by R.G. »

I think it's safe to say that the warnings are a permanent fixture of the site and will never be removed.

It's pretty clear that the work from the admin/server side is not getting done for whatever reason it's not getting done, and it's now been more than 90 days since google first listed the site as suspicious, so google's warning list is not expiring it out.

So I think the only options are check the google list before signing in each time, or to keep muttering "I ain't afraid of no hacks..." at each visit.
WRC34

Post by WRC34 »

I haven't visited or posted here since the malware warnings initially showed up. But just now, after repeatedly seeing Google's diagnostic report that the site is relatively safe and there have been "0 pages resulted in malicious software being downloaded without user consent" I decided to say f**k it and dive in.

Well, here I am, so far still in one piece.

R.G. while I don't disagree with your basic sentiment that the warnings are here to stay and that it's an unfortunate part of the way it is now, the truth is that the internet is constantly changing. Think about the sites you used to visit 5 years ago compared to now (maybe this site is an exception!) I trust that at some point Google themselves will revise their system and in doing so there's a good chance the warnings may disappear. Who knows? Could take a few years but at some point it's bound to change.

I leaned heavily on the pages here to keep me informed and constantly learning new things about building guitar amps. I recently acquired a couple of old transformers - Stancor P-8356 power transformer as well as a Stancor A-8032 output transformer - and the need to find out more about which amps these may have been used in was too great to not come here again (there is talk here, and seemingly nowhere else online, that the P-8356 PT was possibly used in some original Trainwreck Rocket builds). Upon receiving the transformer, it's weighty but smaller than I anticipated. Could this thing really power a Rocket, or AC30 style amp?

I have so many questions and thoughts that have been building up in the absence of the site that I can't really believe I'm even posting here at the moment! Anyways, here's to it being a safe site like always which just unfairly got a bad rap along the way. Cheers.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

As of today, with the security turned off, I can get in and post without a warning on my MacBook (Safari), but on my iPhone (also Safari) I still get the phish warning.

Oops! Spoke too soon... warnings and multiple clicks to get through are back now. No doubt this is damaging to the forum.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

Unfortunately it says something about the people hosting this site and it's not good. I have no issue with the site moderators, but I've run sites on and off for the last twenty years and would NEVER let a situation like this continue to fester and drive away current and potential members. The tube world is a small but important group that cannot be allowed to wither, it is a dying art thanks to time and technology which just underlines the importance of keeping it alive.

To the site host: This is an invaluable resource for not only inexperienced techs to come to for education, but also the experienced as we've seen in topic after topic where everyone learns something new. To allow this warning to continue is ridiculous - UNLESS you have made attempts to correct it and have not told us which would then also be ridiculous.

I believe this site is worth protecting and if speaking my mind pisses off the host, so be it, but to have it blacklisted for 90 days when there is no threat is inexcusable.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

More to the point is there anything we can do to help resolve this? There are tech savvy folks here who would be willing to pitch in if it could help.
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

How about upgrade to the latest release of phpBB (3.1.6) , released last month.? Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like we are on an old version based on the phpBB copyright at the bottom of the page. I'm semi-retired from the IT field and I'd be happy to help. I think staying current on releases of the forum software being used would be the first place to start.
---------
Bryan
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

I spent over 30 years working in the computer field, and have run my own web site for the last 10 or so. My site was hacked, and listed by google as an attack site.

I went through the debugging process and also getting google to remove it from the attack site list. It took a couple of days, most of that being sifting through the site's files and finding the inserted hacks. Google removed the warning in about 24 hours after I had them re-scan.

I've offered my help, both publicly and privately. I'm sure there are several of us who would be willing and capable.

Recapping what has been posted here, IIRC, another site hosted on the same server was hacked, and google blacklisted both sites. Google's blacklist report said at one time that it found mal-files here, but no longer does. I don't know about older versions of the site software being an issue; couldn't hurt, I gues, but if I understand the issues, that's not what is keeping it on the google malware site list.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

I don't know shit about about websites. Mr. Keen, I know (at least electronically). If he can help, let him help.
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

I just got this message from Firefox when running my Mac Pro Tower on OS 10.6.8... there was more at the link below on how to fix it.

"Wait! Please don't visit that site right now!

Google detected badware on the site you were visiting. Firefox uses Google's blacklist to warn you about "Reported attack sites." We understand that you may know and trust this site, but it's possible for good sites to be infected with badware without the site owners' knowledge or permission."

https://www.stopbadware.org/firefox?hl= ... search.php
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
Structo

Post by Structo »

Tom

Don't let that smoke out!