How did you recover your stolen gear?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

How did you recover your stolen gear?

Post by vibratoking »

The CL thread made me think of this.

I had two guitars and some rack mounted effects stolen from my house back in the early 80s. Started doing my own detective work after I realized the cops were going to be useless. I start contacting everyone I know, and don't know, to put the word out. About 2 weeks go by and a music store owner contacts me and gives me a phone number of some dood who tried to sell a Les Paul to the store. He gives the store owner his number in case he changes his mind or knows someone. I call the guy and make arrangements to meet him and 'buy' the guitar. He also says he has another guitar and some other equipment. So I show up at this shit hole of a house and I'm sitting in a room with this meth head dood and 3 or 4 of his meth head buddies. Think Breaking Bad. One guy leaves the room to get the Les Paul. He comes back with the guitar. I open the case and play it a little. Sure enough it's mine. I tell them I'm interested in the other guitar and other equipment too. Their eyes light up cause maybe they can turn all this stuff into cash in one quick transaction. Guy goes into the other room and brings back my Strat and my rack mount stuff. I check it all out and it looks unharmed. So there I am with a bunch of meth heads and my stolen stuff. I am packing a Colt Python 357 with a 6" barrel. I am thinking to myself, do I leave and call the cops or should I take my stuff back at gun point? If I leave the house, I might never see my stuff again. I'm thinking I want to exit the house one time with my stuff and not have to make multiple trips. If I pull the pistol, one hand will be useless to carry stuff...it'll be busy with the pistol and I won't be able to carry it all. What to do? I decide I'm taking my stuff. As I tell them that all the stuff is mine and was stolen from me, I pull out the pistol and tell them I'm taking my shit back. The dirt bags were shocked and, luckily for everyone, very cooperative. After quite a few apologies they said got the stuff from some other dood and were selling it for him. I knew the other dood and suspected he was the thief, but couldn't prove it at the time, but I knew they were telling the truth. In the end, they helped me carry the stuff to my van and loaded it for me. :D Nice bunch of guys when they're staring down the barrel of a 357. There's a lot more to this story, but this is already too long.

I'm interested in your stories. I bet you all have some good ones.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Leo_Gnardo

Re: How did you recover your stolen gear?

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Luckily nothing too special of my own has been stolen, except time and a couple of rare cassettes. (I wonder what the thief thought when he heard Anthony Braxton's Berlin/Montreux concerts.) But I did assist in the recovery of a Marshall head. It was 1981 and I'd just started working for Peter Frampton. His other tech was picking up some things on music store row 48th St. in Manhattan. As he walked out Manny's door with an armful of gear he saw some skinny youngster jammed into the back window of his Dodge van, just his butt & legs sticking out. That guy was immediately dragged out and sent on his way but the tech didn't notice until he returned to PF's Westchester studio that a Tony Frank modified 100W Marshall head was missing. He was in a panic but I was just a little amused much to his chagrin. I told him "check all the pawn shops in that area, the thief's probably a junkie and flipped that amp for a little cash for his next fix." And that's darn close to what did happen. First place he called was We Buy Guitars, right across the street from Manny's. BINGO, they'd bought a Marshall that matched that description & serial number and were willing to turn it over for the $100 they'd paid the junkie. And so it was done, another little adventure in rock history.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I like that story.

I also have a long story, but no resolution.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I am a romantic and love stories with happy endings! :wink: :D

Having said that, what would have you done IF they refused to turn over the equipment or assaulted you with their bare hands & no weapon ?(thinking you'd never pull the trigger - they were meth heads right?)

Just curious? BTW, the Python is a very nice revolver.

With respect, 10thtx
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I think I got this one..

I see dead methheads.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

10thTx wrote:I am a romantic and love stories with happy endings! :wink: :D

Having said that, what would have you done IF they refused to turn over the equipment or assaulted you with their bare hands & no weapon ?(thinking you'd never pull the trigger - they were meth heads right?)

Just curious? BTW, the Python is a very nice revolver.

With respect, 10thtx
That's one of the obvious questions that every gun owner should answer for himself before making the decision to own one. Once you make that decision, there is no compromise IMO. Personally, I never pull a gun without being prepared to use it...period.

Miles, your vision is clear. :D
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Great response. with respect, 10thtx
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I might have left the scene and broght the cops so the methpeeps could tell the story to them. I hate drawing a weapon because I have a bad right shoulder and my pistols weigh enough to exacerbate that condition.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Reeltarded wrote:I think I got this one..

I see dead methheads.
I see S. Clay Wilson's artwork. Much the same. :D

And hell yeah I'd like to read your unresolved tale of woe and intrigue, I'm sure others would too. Does it involve a guitar that found its way to Japan or is that another thing?
down technical blind alleys . . .
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's boring and complicated. I had three Firebirds on tour and the expensive one vanished in an impossible situation but showed up in unattributed "stock photos" back in 2008. I stopped trying to chase it. I am going to walk up to it and take it if I ever see it in person.
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

I see dead methheads
With a Python... only six unless you wait for two to cross. :twisted:

Man, it sux to be ripped off. I've been lucky so far except for the Silvertone amp-in-case red Dano that I loaned to a stoner who promptly moved to Florida. I wish that I had that back (altho it sucked pretty much). I'd use it for slide .
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wrong thread sorry.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Revolvers don't hold enough ammo and I bring plenty of extra.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

9mm, 15 shots ought to get 'er done...
Ron
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I'd never give a beggar a penny. All I have is $2 coins!