Strat player looking for a humbucking guitar

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ValvElectric

Strat player looking for a humbucking guitar

Post by ValvElectric »

For years it seems I've always been primarily a strat player, though I've always enjoy a good telecaster as well. But recently I've been feeling like I could benefit from a different sound perspective on my builds.
I would love to be able to pick up a quality Gibson Les Paul, SG, or 335, but since I currently don't have a few thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations?

PS: I know there's always humbucker equipped strats and tele's but personally they've just never felt quite right, and the epiphone's I've been able to get my hands on have all seemed fairly lack-luster and plasticky for the money.
ampgeek

Re: Strat player looking for a humbucking guitar

Post by ampgeek »

Check out the ESP line.

A friend of mine tried out their Les Paul'esqe offerings and was impressed with the value.

http://www.espguitars.com/

Good luck,
Dave O.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

You're wise to be looking at the so-called lesser brands like Epiphone. If you find one that feels right, can always swap in some pickups you like.

Some others to consider, Heritage which was started by ex-Gibson employees in the old Kalamazoo plant, every one I've seen is excellent quality.

Guild another Gibson spinoff in 1952 - everybody loves my old mid-60's Polara with a Fender wide-band HB in the bridge and DeArmond HB in the neck. Long ago I took the finish off the neck & tung-oiled it, now it's slick as goose grease. Lots of other great Guilds out there too.

Gretsch, one of my friends picked up a Korean made 6120, along with a China Vox AC-15. It's the best playing Gretsch I ever got my hands on, and with the Vox, instant George Harrison tones, who'd a thunk it? And more besides, an impressive instrument for just over a grand new. If you can find a used one that feels & works well at a knock down price, so much the better.

Let me get out of the way now, TAGsters bound to have some more good suggestions. Let us know what you find.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

There are some very nice 80's era Tokai, Greco, Edwards and the like, mostly made in Japan and very close to the real deal. I have a couple Ibanez lawsuit LPs- can't really recommend them-bolt on neck and chambered construction. There are however, some that were made with traditional Gibson style set necks, etc. eBay is full of these types of copies.
Ron
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Older 80's Inanez artist for sure. Also check out heritage guitars and Hamer USA guitars. Any of those will still set you back over a grand though
xtian

Post by xtian »

Love my Agile AL-3000.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I am pretty spoiled by my Custom Shop Gibbys, but I gotta say that my Pro series Epiphones are surprisingly good for the money. I've got a 335 Pro and a LP Plustop Pro, and both are very nice guitars for very reasonable prices.
Last edited by sliberty on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Look for Made in Japan Orville by Gibson guitars from the late '80s and early '90s. These were made when Gibson (following Fender's lead) legitimized the counterfeiters making dead-end copies. Quality is excellent; some even have USA made PAF reissues. Google for more info. There used to be a few guys who would buy these in Japan and bring them back here.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

PRS makes some guitars in Korea that I think deliver killer value and are very gentle on your wallet. The only thing you're likely to want is a proper fret leveling and setup, which should run $50 or so for 30 minutes on a capable luthier's bench.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Reed-Smith ... 1ea1e2f644
skeezbo

Post by skeezbo »

The Epiphone Elite and Elitist models are the MIJ Orville by Gibson guitars with cosmetic changes (the "tombstone" headstock shape) designed for the American market. You will save quite a bit on shipping over a Japan-market Greco, Epiphone, or Orville. The early ones were called elite, then the name was changed to elitist. The elite/elitist models have a red logo on the back of the headstock; there is a modern epiphone that is called the elite that is not of the same quality. These guitars are in my opinion the best value if you are looking for a Gibson style guitar.
ValvElectric

Post by ValvElectric »

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Japanese route sounds tempting being that I love my mid-eighties MIJ tele and I appreciate the info on the epiphone models, I'll definitely keep my eye out for those. I had also totally forgotten about Heritage guitars, a couple of years ago I had a chance to play quite a few of them and remember being pleasantly surprised, although at the moment I don't remember their general price range.
I also haven't had much experience with the the more affordable PRS guitars, but I appreciate the link and I'll definitely have to give them a look since I'd probably only need a new crowning file for the fret level.
Nearly a decade ago I had a Gibson Les Paul studio which I sold for an American deluxe strat, and although my cenisism wants me to believe otherwise, I remember thinking at the time that it felt better than the similarly priced epiphones I had tried. Anyone else had this experience or is this just in my head?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

No experience comparing epis to studios, but here's another data point. I have a 'good' studio and it is no comparison to my historic. The studio is a depressing toy that never gets played. In fact, it's a POS in comparison to a real instrument.

I also wanted to mention that upgrading pickups in average, or worse, instruments is a waste of time and money IMO. It's a great way to pour a few hundred or more into a guitar for little or no return on tone. The pickup manufacturers don't want you to know that. YMMV and all that. :)

As an example, you might spend $400 on something you can afford. After that you'll still need $1500 or more cause you now own a guitar you don't want. I would just save and get a good one. Plus you'll have an easy resell and maybe make a little cash without much hassle.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

If you can, see if you can try a Godin guitar from Canada. They are very high quality without the crazy high prices (they're used as the standard guitars in most recording studios in Toronto):

http://www.godinguitars.com/godincoreseriesp.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinicon2classicp.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godin_15_session_59.html
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Try to find a Squier '51 or Fender PawnShop '51. Tele neck, Strat body with humbucker at the bridge. I put a Seymour Duncan little 59 at the neck. 2 humbucker guitar that feels like a Strat/Tele. Squier is a toploader bridge - Fender is through body bridge.

[img:600:197]http://musicasa.files.wordpress.com/201 ... hop-51.jpg[/img]
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

vibratoking,

Can you give a little detail on what makes the Studio a POS in your view? I guess what I am looking for are some tangible, and understandable things about the Studio that make the guitar so worthless.

I ask because I am always curious about the criteria people use for loving, liking or hating an instrument. Some, maybe not you, have a hard time putting into words that we can all understand and identify with. Are the fret ends sticking out and sharp? Is the fretboard cracking, or uneven? Does the nut grab the strings and not let go? Do the electronics hum or buzz more than they should? Is the intonation off even when the saddles reach the limit of their travel? Do certain notes along the fretboard sustain, while others die off quickly? I am just trying to understand what is so wrong with your Studio.

BTW, I have 3 Custom Shop Gibsons, and the quality is fabulous. But I also enjoy or have enjoyed less expensive guitars, and maybe I am just missing something there.