What was the first album / CD you bought?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JazzGuitarGimp

What was the first album / CD you bought?

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

What was the first album / CD you bought with your own money? Mine was Abbey Road by the Beatles in 1969. I was 10 years old... It's still one of my all-time favorite discs, alongside Dark Side Of The Moon.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
rp

Re: What was the first album / CD you bought?

Post by rp »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:What was the first album / CD you bought with your own money? Mine was Abbey Road by the Beatles in 1969. I was 10 years old...
:!: Let It Be in 1970, I was 10 years old.

At the local downtown Woolworths. Whether it could be called my own money... LIB should be my first LP, before that I'd buy a single every week w/ my allowance. They had a plexi box with holes to put your hands through to flip through the singles then you'd call a Woolworth matron in a blue shop smock to open the box for you. Seems like a thousand years ago like a b&w newsreel with Herbert Hoover waving.
deeder

Post by deeder »

After my Dad bought me Paranoid/Black Sabbath, the very first vinyl I bought myself was In Rock/Deep Purple.
What a gold era...
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Believe it or not I had no turntable to play any records on for 14 years after my first "plug n play" with its accompanying stacks of 78 RPM red disks, one favorite was Burl Ives croaking out "Jimmy Crack Corn." On the west coast there was another youngster who enjoyed the heck out of that record, later he took the stage name "Captain Beefheart." But that was the 50's friends, and kid music.

Second year in college I was in with a couple of apartment mates that had stereos, one of 'em in the livingroom, and another a portable GE suitcase type I could haul into my room. September 1972 I finally threw down for some plastic platters, first one was Hot Tuna "Burgers." Still a favorite.

Not long after that, Beefheart & the Magic Band "Mirror Man", couldn't get away from that scratchy cracked & crazed Burl Ives voice...
down technical blind alleys . . .
cbass

Post by cbass »

I think the first tape I ever bought was black Sabbath paranoid I had 5 older brothers so I'd usually steal theirs
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

Well the first 45, remember those, I bought was Satisfaction by the Stones.
It was summer of 65 so I was 13...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JoeCon on Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I won a CD in a radio contest before I even had a CD player. I answered a question about a Jefferson Airplane album, and won a copy of Long John Silver.

Later when I had gotten a player, the first CD I bought was Who's Next.mi still think that was a great choice.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Don't remember the first album, i still have something like 400+ that are never listened to, first cd was Dark Side of the Moon then Bridge of Sighs etc...
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

In 6th grade I won queen's "news of the world" on a radio give away.

In 7th grade I bought "back in black", "get the knack", and the first Pat Benetar album... I never listen to any those tunes on purpose anymore.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Fist Vinyl I ever bought for myself was Boston's first album and Aerosmith Rocks. Up until that point I would just listen to my brothers stuff.

I couldn't tell you what my first CD was. Maybe Ry Cooder's Bop 'Til You Drop?
boots

Post by boots »

Probably the first record I bought was Elton John "The Bitch is Back" because it had a bad word in the title. But the first REAL album was Bachman Turner Overdrive "Four Wheel Drive".
Don't you boys know any NICE songs?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I'm reasonably sure it was a 45 rpm single. I'm thinking it was Please Please Me, though it could have been I Wanna Hold Your Hand. First LP was likely Sgt Peppers. $3 was a lot of money to blow on a record. One had to choose carefully.
LeeMo

Post by LeeMo »

CCR Green River on cassette.
I bought a pair of shoes from a drug dealer the other day. I dunno what he laced them with but I’ve been tripping all day,
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

On vinyl, it was Bachman Turner Overdrive's Four Wheel Drive album. I believe my first 8-track was Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. I had one of those portable 8-track players that looked like a detonator box. The handle on top was to change tracks. I carried that thing everywhere as a young teen.
David Root

Post by David Root »

First one I remember was Axis-Bold as Love. It was a stereo LP, I had to special order it at the store, they only stocked mono. This was 1967 remember, and in England, which was VERY backward out in the sticks, where I lived, (not in London) even at that late date.

Later on it turned out it was a first pressing and worth $$$. But I lost it in a move somewhere along the line.