Music to work to

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitarmike2107

Music to work to

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Hi Guys, since working for myself I have been listening to allot of online radio stations, just wondering if there are any recommended stations to look up. not too much talk and if it was genre specific that would be even better. I have a hard rock station I listen too ocassionally (kerrang), but then resort to Youtube for most southern rock/country style stuff...

needless to say no modern pop stations are required
sliberty

Re: Music to work to

Post by sliberty »

If you use one of the streaming services, like Spotify or Pandora, you can create your own station, based upon a song of group you like. So if southern rock is what you want, you could create a station based upon Statesboro Blues for example.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

+1 on Pandora. I have a paid subscription so it is commercial free.

Some things it just doesn't get. I set up a Kansas station. Unfortunately, they only seem to have one Kansas song. I was expecting it to play other bands like Emmerson, Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, Yes and others in the genre. What I got was Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird.

My Brian Setzer station is spot on. My Brazillian Jazz station is pretty good, but over plays "The Girl From Ipanema". My Phsycho-billy station is very good, not too much repetition. I have a Robert Cray station that plays amazing stuff.

I would think that southern rock would be ok on Pandora once you get it to stop playing Freebird, like it was 1979.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Ok I will have a look at those, I used groovshark before but found I was only playing songs I knew, Where I am looking for some songs I know but some new stuff too would be ideal
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I've subcribed to Live365 for more than 10 years, it was one if not the original. Works great, only problem it is based on streaming stations and one can't skip.

I have a number of Pandora stations set up, the Gary Moore station is great. Just remember to thumbs down when it takes a hard left turn and tries to introduce something completely different.

I listen to spotify the most, it is great to listen to "albums or radio stations" and to like the song then listen to your playlists or "liked from radio" later. The only problem with playing a play list is that spotify's shuffle is horrid. It repeats the songs with the least expensive pay to play over and over. I have really od'd on Lance Lopez this way.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I bought into Spotify when I joined a band that played a lot of stuff I didn't know or own. So I was able to search Spotify for the song, and then select from among all of the different versions (and artists). It was invaluable for that purpose. But then, I also got hooked on simply streaming albums over Spotify and downloading them to my mobile device for offline listening. All in all a very good service.

I tried Apple Music too, and it seems quite good. But I am so used to Spotify that it didn't seem worthwhile to switch. I might change my mind in the future though, as I am an Apple fan (Mac, iPhone, iPad). Their standard focus, though, seems heavily oriented towards hip hop which "makes me wanna puke". Not that you are locked in - you can still listen to what you want, but it still turned me off a bit.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I noticed that YouTube automatically plays the next song or video. I was listening to some Uriah Heep the other day and it autoselected and played similar music to go with it.

I have also found a wealth of guitar instruction including Tommy Emmanuel breaking down his technique. You probably would not have to look too hard to find backing tracks.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Not to diverge inappropriately, but there was an article in this morning's newspaper (you guys know what a newspaper is, don't you?) that 20-somethings are showing up with increased incidences of hearing loss, attributed to overuse of ear buds at excessive volume. If you are listening at work, or just listening for hours on-end using ear buds, it isn't good for you. The problem is how your ears get pounded because the speaker is in the ear canal. The article said to set a limit of 60 minutes and then you need to take a break, and to keep the volume low.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Gibsonman63 wrote:I would think that southern rock would be ok on Pandora once you get it to stop playing Freebird, like it was 1979.
"What song is it you're sick & tired of hearing???"

Local band I mixed for late 70's used to end their night with FB. I knew it was safe to abandon the faders & go take a pee, get prepared for loadout. That's what Freebird means to me: whizz, aahhh, relief!

Now I have a gimme baseball hat that says "Free Bird" on it, one of my customers gave me. It's the name of an organic chicken company.

Would be nice if your southern rock channel would channel in some of the good but more obscure acts like Grinderswitch, Barefoot Jerry & Elvin Bishop f'rinstance, maybe some Marshall Tucker too.
down technical blind alleys . . .
RWood

Post by RWood »

I used to really dig the WAVE in SoCal. Really good etherial vibe when doing work that required concentration.
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

If you like Pandora try out Jango.

Its basically Pandora without adds.
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

RWood wrote:I used to really dig the WAVE in SoCal. Really good etherial vibe when doing work that required concentration.
(in PBS voice)....94.7....The Wave

I remember when 94.7 was KMET, the Mighty 'Met :cry:
RWood

Post by RWood »

chief mushroom cloud wrote:http://somafm.com/listen/
JUST CHECKED IT OUT...REALLY NICE SETUP...GREAT MUSIC OPTIONS
If it don't get hot and glow, I don't want it !
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Colossal wrote:
RWood wrote:I used to really dig the WAVE in SoCal. Really good etherial vibe when doing work that required concentration.
(in PBS voice)....94.7....The Wave

I remember when 94.7 was KMET, the Mighty 'Met :cry:
i

A little bit of heaven
Ninty-four point seven
K M E T
Dweedle dee

:lol:
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture