NGD!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

NGD!

Post by HeeBGB »

New gun day that is!

Ok so the state of NJ in its infinite wisdom has granted me the privilege of purchasing another hand gun. I can buy long guns all day every day but handguns I can only buy one every 30 days and I need a specific permit for each one. This permit is valid for 90 days. I think I can renew it it if I wanted to buy another 30 days after the first purchase though.

Anyway, I was really thinking about getting a Bersa Thunder 380. I have read good reviews on these and they are cheap. I am also considering some 1911 variant.

Anyone here have any suggestions on what to buy? Trying to keep it under $600
John_P_WI

Re: NGD!

Post by John_P_WI »

Kimber 45, some models are a little over the 600 mark - some are double. My niece's husband, ex military MP, swears by them.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

I want the next one I get to be a Ruger SR-9. I have a Kel-Tec 9mm that's carry size (very small) but I love the feel and balance of the Ruger.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

HeeBGB wrote: Anyone here have any suggestions on what to buy? Trying to keep it under $600
There's a fair amount of room between a pocket 380 and some 1911 variant; so without knowing your general intent it's impossible give you some real tangible advice from either an instructor or armourer viewpoint without just tossing out brands.

Hit me up in pm if you want

TM
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

I recently just picked up a ruger sr9 9mm. Looked at some 1911s, did not like, too clunky and heavy. This is my first striker fire pistol and it is serious tits.

Two 17 round mags and a holster, brand new I paid ~$430
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

The thing about the 1911 is that it is very slim since it is a single stack magazine.
Makes them a pretty decent carry gun.

Sure you only have 8-9 shots but it's 45 acp!

I bought a Kimber 45 acp when they first came out with nice
rosewood stocks.
Very good!

I also have a Beretta Tomcat 32 acp.
Great little pocket pistol and if you use the right ammo, it can be as effective
as a .380.

Another gun to look at is the Kahr 9mm.
When I bought mine they were all steel which makes it a bit heavy for
it's size.

So many choices these days for carry guns.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice handgun.

I've been using a Ruger P89 for years because it fits my hand perfect compared to better handguns on the market. Stick with what works.

Mark
cbass

Post by cbass »

The bersa is a good gun. I'd kinda like to have one for summer carry. . a lot of difference between that and 1911. I wouldn't even really consider for concealed carry. Not that it couldn't be done . personally i. The 600 dollar range .I would look at something like a cz for a full size gun. That's just my preference though . I don't really like fancy guns .
Certainly no expert but Ive shot a few different handguns
Last edited by cbass on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

eniam rognab wrote:I recently just picked up a ruger sr9 9mm. Looked at some 1911s, did not like, too clunky and heavy. This is my first striker fire pistol and it is serious tits.

Two 17 round mags and a holster, brand new I paid ~$430
I've been looking at those but haven't shot one yet . my buddy was looking at buying one and I was gonna see how it was after he bought it. . I think he's doing the same.
eniam rognab

Post by eniam rognab »

I was real hesitant to buy a composite frame, glad I did. Its light but still feels like a tank. Put 250 rounds through her the other day, not one hiccup. Also considered the new American model but it was out of my budget.

Can't go wrong with Ruger (but I am a fanboy) :lol:
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I would look at something like a cz for a full size gun
Yes, CZ75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDhURHa0OQ
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Damn 10th the sequence starting at 2:40 was priceless...
cbass

Post by cbass »

eniam rognab wrote:I was real hesitant to buy a composite frame:
Nothing wrong with polymer but if I'm in a situation where I'm pistol whipping a Central American drug czar idwant a steel frame . :lol:
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote:Nothing wrong with polymer but if I'm in a situation where I'm pistol whipping a Central American drug czar idwant a steel frame . :lol:
Those Central American drug czars show up in the neighborhood all the time, right? Such pests...

If you liked the 1911, needed more firepower, I'm a fan of the old "High Power", another Browning design based on the venerable '11. 9mm or .40 cal, 13 or 9/10 round mags. Like 1911, very reliable, zillions of 'em in circulation. Single-action, which may take a little getting used to but may slow down someone not authorized to use it. Prices, I dunno but figure they may be reasonable considering there's so many. Too big for you like the 1911? Next...

Have you considered the 5.7mm choices? I'm no expert in what's available but sure there's likely to be convenient size pistols for this round, and you can fit a lot of rounds in a magazine. If your state lets you (NY :( 7 round limit, why bother...)
down technical blind alleys . . .
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

John_P_WI wrote:Damn 10th the sequence starting at 2:40 was priceless...
Also at 3:00, hits a smiley face pattern on the faraway "gong." :) Good shootin' !
down technical blind alleys . . .