Postal rates making me go postal!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ken Moon

Postal rates making me go postal!

Post by Ken Moon »

Happy New Year!

USPS was so nice to raise their prices with no warning.

The small flat rate box went up from $4.50 to $6.50 and a small first class padded envelope (2 oz.) went from about 85 cents to $2.50.

UPS raised their rates last year, and Fedex has always been high.

I guess they are too busy sending billions of packages for Amazon, which they get a huge discount on (I've read that USPS gives them a 90% discount) to worry about us small fries.

USPS should change their name to Amazon and Junk Mail Delivery Service.

:(
vibratoking

Re: Postal rates making me go postal!

Post by vibratoking »

USPS is a joke in so many ways, but the junk mail delivery system is functioning at a high level.

Interesting that I installed a trash can at the end of my driveway. Although, I thought is was a mail box when I installed it. Some guy, the mailman, shows up everyday and puts trash in 'it'. I then move the trash daily to my recycle bin without even opening a high percentage of it.

Stupid...

Shipping costs are getting out of hand. I have been selling quite a bit of gear on Reverb.com. I had to up the shipping charges because I was losing my ass.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Ken Moon wrote:Happy New Year!

USPS was so nice to raise their prices with no warning.

The small flat rate box went up from $4.50 to $6.50 and a small first class padded envelope (2 oz.) went from about 85 cents to $2.50.

UPS raised their rates last year, and Fedex has always been high.

I guess they are too busy sending billions of packages for Amazon, which they get a huge discount on (I've read that USPS gives them a 90% discount) to worry about us small fries.

USPS should change their name to Amazon and Junk Mail Delivery Service.

:(
http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps- ... y-17-2016/

TM
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

vibratoking wrote:USPS is a joke in so many ways, but the junk mail delivery system is functioning at a high level.

Interesting that I installed a trash can at the end of my driveway. Although, I thought is was a mail box when I installed it. Some guy, the mailman, shows up everyday and puts trash in 'it'. I then move the trash daily to my recycle bin without even opening a high percentage of it.

Stupid...

Shipping costs are getting out of hand. I have been selling quite a bit of gear on Reverb.com. I had to up the shipping charges because I was losing my ass.
I walk directly from the mail box and dump about 90% of it into the trash. Every day. It's a waste of tax dollars and a lot of people's time.
Ron
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I would like to publicly thank USPS for raising their rates yet again and especially at a time when oil has never been cheaper. Priority Mail Flat Rate took a 22% price hike. Thanks jerks.

I think junk mail should be a crime. It is a disgusting waste of money and resources.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get my Ballard Designs catalog. It was the only mail I got all week due to the blizzard. To paraphrase, "If it wasn't for bad mail, I wouldn't have no mail at all."
drew

Post by drew »

Ken Moon wrote:
The small flat rate box went up from $4.50 to $6.50
Meaning that for 25¢ more than it costs to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, you can have a small box picked up at your house and delivered to another house 3000 miles away. And watch its cross-country progress on the internet, if you're one of those anxious types.

Sounds more like a miracle than an outrage to me.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I wonder how their revenue is split between true operating costs, current wages and retired postal workers pensions. Something tells me it is probably upside down similar to Illinois pensions.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

When I lived on a rural mail delivery route I put a note in my mail box to throw away your own thrash so the mailman filled my box full, jerk. He was a friend so I could only laugh. :D

I do like Ron does and walk from my mail box to my thrash can and unload before entering my home. :)
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

drew wrote: Meaning that for 25¢ more than it costs to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, you can have a small box picked up at your house and delivered to another house 3000 miles away. And watch its cross-country progress on the internet, if you're one of those anxious types.

Sounds more like a miracle than an outrage to me.
I agree, still a great bargain.

TM
NickC

Post by NickC »

I received two shipments this week through the USPS Priority Mail service. I was provided tracking numbers by the merchants. In both cases, the USPS online tracking indicated "Priority 2-Day Shipping". One package took 4 days, and the other took 5 days to be delivered. I understand there is no guarantee that the "Priority" class of service will actually arrive within 2 days. That said, the US Postal Service should not use "2 day shipping" or similar language in their "marketing" or online tracking. It misrepresents the product, and is deceptive.
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

NickC wrote:I received two shipments this week through the USPS Priority Mail service. I was provided tracking numbers by the merchants. In both cases, the USPS online tracking indicated "Priority 2-Day Shipping". One package took 4 days, and the other took 5 days to be delivered. I understand there is no guarantee that the "Priority" class of service will actually arrive within 2 days. That said, the US Postal Service should not use "2 day shipping" or similar language in their "marketing" or online tracking. It misrepresents the product, and is deceptive.
Got a box o parts from Newark Elec. in South Carolina. Ordinary Parcel Post, still cost @ $13 same as Priority. Arrived in 2 days. So . . . "Priority", what's the point? Oh, fancy red white & blue box, wave the flag, hoorah.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

NickC wrote:I received two shipments this week through the USPS Priority Mail service. I was provided tracking numbers by the merchants. In both cases, the USPS online tracking indicated "Priority 2-Day Shipping". One package took 4 days, and the other took 5 days to be delivered. I understand there is no guarantee that the "Priority" class of service will actually arrive within 2 days. That said, the US Postal Service should not use "2 day shipping" or similar language in their "marketing" or online tracking. It misrepresents the product, and is deceptive.
Completely agree. The ONLY time I have had Priority arrive in the stated two days was when the recipient is just one state or two states away. They are trying to make the distinction of Priority as a premium service when it is not. Also, common practice is ships Priority on a Tuesday with an expected arrival of Friday, and then they miss that and help themselves to the weekend for a Monday delivery.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Try living in Canada and buying stuff from the States like I do. Your $6.50 Priority mail goes to about $25 for me.
If I buy a 4 lb transformer from Chicago for $60 it costs me $50 to get it to me.

Going the other way, from Canada into the States, a simple letter is $1.20 CDN ($0.85 US at current exchange).
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

David Root wrote:Try living in Canada and buying stuff from the States like I do. Your $6.50 Priority mail goes to about $25 for me.
If I buy a 4 lb transformer from Chicago for $60 it costs me $50 to get it to me.

Going the other way, from Canada into the States, a simple letter is $1.20 CDN ($0.85 US at current exchange).
David,

I was going to go on in my previous post about that very issue but edited it down. Yeah, Priority to Canada now is $24 and $45 for a small or medium box.