Seven Lessons from How Private Equity Wrecked Guitar Center

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Seven Lessons from How Private Equity Wrecked Guitar Center

Post by Structo »

I have always pronounced Neutrik as New Trick.

Who would've thunk it?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

You didn't get schooled by a saleschild at GC? Where've you been? Hurry over there before they close and you lose your opportunity! I figure they all get the same training. When you ask for a new trick, they'll give you the old trick.
drew

Post by drew »

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Funny he mentions used gear. GC locally is a dump for all the used gear for GC in my region.

They can't accept offers on used. The prices are set externally based on items for sale on Reverb. Not identical items that have sold on Reverb, but similar items that might have been listed for two years and not sold. I laughed and told them nope.

They are willing to bleed on new Gibson right now. It's not a good deal, but they will give you cost on some models.

It's a horrible shithole manned by.. ad hom assertion. You pick your own euphamism!
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Sales children are not unique to GC. We still have a couple of mom/pop music stores locally and one GC. The last time I went to one of the mom & pop stores I was checking out a Godin guitar w/P90s. Very nice guitar - used. There were a couple of kids w/an entry level Jackson electric plugged into an amp in the sound room wondering how to try out a multi effects pedal. No sales people helping them, they weren't sure how to work it. I spent a little time with them showing them how to cable it up, how they could get an AC/DC sound, etc. Really good kids. I looked over at the "sales" people and they were totally ignoring the kids, discussing a recent Survivor episode or some other crap reality show. :roll:

I mean these were really good kids. They were pooling their money to buy this little Zoom-like pedal. They were pretty good players - better than me anyway. I had a great time with them - maybe 10-15 minutes or so. When they decided they had enough cash I steered them to the other guitar store (across the parkway a few blocks away) and told them to ask for Benny, he'd help them out. They left to go to the other store, as the sales children were still howling over the reality show. Complete jerks (or I guess yurks in German). I don't know that store has stayed in business.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Post the phone number for that store!

We should all call in the same half hour and ask them if they have the Ibanez model 1727-2 in stock, the Johnson Munumpten Signature Model in Chinese Take-Out Green. The one with By DiMarzio pickups and 25 frets.

100 seperate calls in a half hour...
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

GC is the McDonalds of the music industry. And yes, the shake machine is almost always out of order.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

After checking out around 20 Fender American (and Mexican) Jazz basses in 2004 I found "the one" at GC. A Crimson Red Highway Series Jazz MiUSA. Fortunately back then there was an employee who I had talked to previously so he knew I wasn't just a tire-kicker. He spent quite a bit of time with me and when I purchased the one I did, he even set up the neck, intonation and action before I left the store to make sure it was right. I think he moved on a couple of years after that but I haven't been in there in many years.
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

gui_tarzan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:55 pm After checking out around 20 Fender American (and Mexican) Jazz basses in 2004 I found "the one" at GC. A Crimson Red Highway Series Jazz MiUSA. Fortunately back then there was an employee who I had talked to previously so he knew I wasn't just a tire-kicker. He spent quite a bit of time with me and when I purchased the one I did, he even set up the neck, intonation and action before I left the store to make sure it was right. I think he moved on a couple of years after that but I haven't been in there in many years.
Likely fired for being competent.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I don't believe I've ever been to a guitar center. Probably never will the closest one is 3 or 4 hours away. Sounds like it's just being run like every other corporation.Milk every last cent out then go bankrupt.