Spectraflex Cable Review

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Spectraflex Cable Review

Post by Littlewyan »

I thought I'd write a quick review on the cable I just bought. A Spectraflex Vintage Series 5.5M GCV18Q-A.

Cable is nice and flexible, doesn't tangle up and is just the right weight so it drags on the floor behind you. I'm used to a Bullet Coily Cable and going from that to this wasn't too bad. I've tried other normal cables but just can't get on with them. I usually end up treading on them or they just get tangled.

It sounds good as well, doesn't lose too much high end, at the same time it doesn't have too much. Just the right amount of capacitance for me. I would definitely recommend this.

I should add, the Bullet cable isn't bad, I just managed to break mine thats all!
norburybrook

Re: Spectraflex Cable Review

Post by norburybrook »

I'll add that anyone here who can build an amp should never buy a pre made cable unless in an emergency.

Or, if in the UK buying Van Dammed/Neutrik from a known maker who can sell them cheaper than buying one off parts.

Marcus
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

norburybrook wrote:I'll add that anyone here who can build an amp should never buy a pre made cable unless in an emergency.

Or, if in the UK buying Van Dammed/Neutrik from a known maker who can sell them cheaper than buying one off parts.

Marcus
Or unless you're REALLY REALLY lazy like me!
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Jesus, I feel like I've been accused of murder :|
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Thanks for the review Ryan.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I used to use the Spetraflex cables that have the cloth on them.

Seemed alright but when I tried a lower cap. cable, I liked what I heard so I have been using a couple different ones of varying length.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Littlewyan wrote:Jesus, I feel like I've been accused of murder :|

LOL

Just seems crazy when you're all so competent with a soldering iron not to make your own cables. :D

I even made all the short cables for my pedal board.

M
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

I bought my last few, so don't feel too bad Ryan, I have more important things to solder up right now. But when I am gigging allot I prefer to make my own and prefer to use 2 core + shield mic cable and use both cores for the tip, never had a failure of one of these. :wink:
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I just wanted to make sure the cable I bought was very flexible and wouldn't catch on anything. I looked at Van Damme and George L but they both looked quite stiff. Considering this cable was only £29 it made sense to go for it as I had a good idea that it'd be alright.

This will only be my main cable until Bullet Cables come back in stock though. I prefer coily cables. Show me how you make one of those ;).
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Van Dammed is as flexible a cable as you'll ever find. That's the reason all top studios in the UK were wired with it, it has to be flexible when your routing cables through trucking, conduit , through walls, roofs, etc etc when building a studio. Think of all the cabling that goes into the back of the patch bays and then out to all the outboard gear.

Also the head of Van Damme in the UK is a guitar player :D

Marcus.

p.s. I wouldn't touch George L cable with a barge pole.....
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

norburybrook wrote:
he is great in the volvo truck commercial too.....

.....sorry, leaving now
rogb

Post by rogb »

norburybrook wrote:Van Dammed is as flexible a cable as you'll ever find. That's the reason all top studios in the UK were wired with it, it has to be flexible when your routing cables through trucking, conduit , through walls, roofs, etc etc when building a studio. Think of all the cabling that goes into the back of the patch bays and then out to all the outboard gear.

Marcus.

p.s. I wouldn't touch George L cable with a barge pole.....
Well I have been using George L .155 for quite some time now from guitar to board and board to amp, it has been fine, with my own soldered Amphenol or Neutrik/Silent plugs. I did have one break at the plug but I think I cut it badly at the time of assembly.
For a change, I have ordered 4m of VanDamme Silver Series MidCap 90pF from Farnells, it's pretty cheap from them so I will see how it goes :-)
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Van Damme studio cables are great, but their instrument cables all seem to have rather high capacitance, the only exception being the massive >8mm od £10/metre which I've just used (my friend has VDC account so he likes me to get stuff from them even at their crazy prices).

And it's rather more unwieldy, and still a higher capacitance, than my (pre-made) >12 year old GeorgeL 155, which has never let me down.

I find it a hassle to source suitable lengths of high quality instrument cable in the EU, and buying pre-made may work out a similar cost.
The problem with pre-made being that the capacitance spec is rarely published; endless text of marketing BS snakeoil, no hard info.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I think its difficult to source a lot of guitar/amp parts in the EU.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

As soon as you have one buffered pedal in you board then the capacitance doesn't make any audible difference.

Most guitarists I know use an EP booster or something similar like a Klon (if they don't use a dedicated buffer) in their chain which negates any real capacitance issues.

I seriously doubt anyone could hear a difference between the studio line cable and regular cable in these instances.

Each to his own though, there's no right or wrong with any of this stuff, the is however a lot of BS/Snake oil around when it comes to cables.

MC