Home Baked Real Bread!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Home Baked Real Bread!

Post by David Root »

Anyone else doing this? When we lived in Salt Lake and then Tucson I did quite a lot of it, but not for the last several years until just recently.

This is loaf #2, just out of a 475 deg F oven. Looks good enough to eat, I think.

If anyone would like the recipe, it's pretty straightforward, I can post it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Phil_S

Re: Home Baked Real Bread!

Post by Phil_S »

It's amazing, isn't it? Easy enough to do, too. Looks great. Bet it tasted even better.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Just got back in to it. We haven't bought a loaf in the store since last September. I'll get a pic up next batch. Been using a real simple flour water salt and a pinch of yeast recipe.
Back in the day (70s), I had a batch of sourdough that I used and kept alive for 17 years. Then a house guest threw it away, thinking they were doing me a favor by cleaning up the refrigerator. Rumor was, it was 100 years old when I got it from a friend in Colorado. Never tasted a sourdough that good since.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Yup, bread flour, water, yeast and salt, that's all you need.

"Wonder Bread" is called that because after you try some good home baked bread, you'll wonder why anyone would eat that crap.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Years ago I baked regularly, and my favorite thing was French Pain au Levain. A friend of mine gave me the culture, which supposedly came from a famous Parisian bakery. I kept it active for quite a few years, but eventually I let it go.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

My girlfriend loves to make bread. She's honestly thought of trying to open a shop here in town. Unfortunately, our oven is on the fritz currently, so no fresh baked bread for a bit. :cry:
Ken Moon

Post by Ken Moon »

I'd love to see the recipe and give it a try :)

I had a bread machine for many years, and my favorite recipe was a honey wheat that was included in the user manual.

I love sourdough too, having lived for a couple of years in NoCal long ago, when we got it at Boudin's at Fisherman's Wharf. Yum...
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The oven is important to getting the desired result... Thermal mass (baking stone), adding steam, and electric vs gas. David's loaf looks like it's got it going on, judging from the crust. For sourdough, there is a guy in Idaho "Sourdoughs International" who has a number of different cultures, including San Francisco.
David Root

Post by David Root »

We have a gas stove so the oven has lots of moisture/steam I would imagine, compared with an electric oven.

I used to use a clay baker--pad with a domed lid, which does work well in an electric oven.

This particular loaf was baked in a ceramic cast iron pot, 30 minutes with the lid on then another 15 uncovered.

Recipe attached. I have done it as per the recipe ie 3 or 4 risings, and with just the first 18 hour rising and the one hour rising in the cloth wrap. I think I prefer it with the single long rising, a better taste and softer texture for my old teeth.. the crust is.. well, crusty!

Other tips: use a full envelope of yeast 8 gm, not the 0.9 gm 1/4 tsp. I have found that long and multiple risings work better with more yeast up front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Mmmmmmm, fresh bread. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
cbass

Post by cbass »

Looks good . I miss fresh bread and meals
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I use the big green egg. Gets a nice smoky flavor profile.better than a brick oven.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Sorry, double post.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

When I was young, my father and grandfather owned a bakery on Staten Island. I was too young to really remember the process but my brother used to help out once in a while. We were discussing it not too long ago. The bakery was a brick oven. Small hand made batches. My brother said the thing that is really hard to duplicate is the moisture they had water in or at the oven and would steam up the oven. He said that is really the trick to making great Italian bread.

maybe my wife won't mind me bringing the hose into the kitchen to spray a bit into the oven LOL
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Try setting a shallow pan of water on the tray underneath the bread. It's a common enough baker's trick. Hoses are a bit much. :D

Say, how's it going with the new-install image on that captive server?