Pots for strat

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Pots for strat

Post by JoshBernstein »

So ive put together a partscaster, and i need some suggestions for pots. I tried cts, but i absolutely hate them. The taper is ok, but theyjust feel disgusting. Im just looking for something that feels smooth to turn. Thanks!
Not really
sliberty

Re: Pots for strat

Post by sliberty »

I'm somewhat shocked to hear that CTS pots weren't smooth. I've used them in everything, and never had any complaints about feel. Sometimes I didn't like their taper, but they make so many types, that is why.

I suppose you could try Bourns.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

I was surprised as well, as ive only heard good things about cts. Maybe i just got a bad batch? But they just feel so rough to turn. I can even hear the wiper scraping when turning them. Maybe they're just extremely dirty or something. Is there a certain model of bournes that seems to turn smoothly? Thanks again
Not really
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

They provide more "friction" than the Asian made pots which are commonly used in some guitars. If that is what you are used to, it might explain. Some prefer a little more friction, others prefer a looser feel. I prefer the friction, as it gives me better control over where I want the pot to land. But, they may not be for everyone.

If you suspect that they are dirty, spray them with some Deoxit, and turn them vigorously back and forth a few times. But if they are new pots, that is unlikely to be the problem.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

That may be true, i could just not be used to them. Im reeeeaaaally used to the pots that came with my 2011 gibson sg standard, im not sure who makes them/where they are manufactured. The cts pots just seem to be loose and inexact to me, if that makes any sense. Plus they are rough, they feel like turning an l-pad, like the one i got from parts express. Maybe ill just give the bournes a try.
Not really
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Similar complaints have been registered from those who bought/installed the supposed "upgrade" versions of CTS pots marketed as "Emerson." OTOH there's plenty of folks who are perfectly satisfied, so that makes me wonder if there's good runs & bad runs at CTS? Maybe some of their machinery is out of whack? One would hope it's all positive reviews for pots that cost triple the rate for standard CTS but - not so.

I would try a shot of Caig D-5, and on the other side of pot looseness/resistance Caig also makes a goop-lube product L260NP you can use to dope up the pot for a more resistant feel. I got a little tube of it to try out but - haven't tried it out yet so can't report my findings, so sorry. FWIW I gather this stuff is supposed to replace the lube goop that gets washed out by solvent pot cleaners, including Caig's own products.
down technical blind alleys . . .
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah CTS, will make pots for anybody if they want to pay for custom specs.

So sometimes it is luck of the draw what a business sells.

Many choices on specs from taper to turning resistance.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Structo wrote:Yeah CTS, will make pots for anybody if they want to pay for custom specs.

So sometimes it is luck of the draw what a business sells.

Many choices on specs from taper to turning resistance.
Some laughable reviews on those Emerson CTS's from Stew-Mac.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... ml#reviews

You would think they'd cull the negative reviews, so I'll give Stew credit for being honest and publishing them.

What's the point of taper or turning resistance when you pay 2 - 3X the going rate and it's still a pig-in-a-poke. Put in your order, sit there & wait for delivery while tapping your foot and dream "I hope I get the good ones." :roll: I'll stick with the non-Emersons from Antique/CE. At least I'm not getting hosed on price.
down technical blind alleys . . .