Ten months on the attack site list for TAG

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Re: Ten months on the attack site list for TAG

Post by xtian »

Phil, the site cannot be "cloned", meaning to make a perfectly functioning copy, by using the kind of software RG is employing. He can only make a static "photocopy" of what it looks like today. This static copy will not function like the current board (none of the threads can be replied to, for example) but it could serve as a searchable archive of comments and files.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Right. It's a static copy of where it is when the picture is taken.

That's why I was droning on about HTTRACK - it goes and constructs an html index of what it downloads, so the snapshot acts like a web page, but only for the content as of the snapshot. So the snapshot can actually be stuck in an appendage to a live website somewhere and the content is not lost, which is what I thought the big exposure was.

The Scrapbook utility does much the same, but concocts its own internal index, which does act like the original, but is not suitable for sticking somewhere as a picture.

It appears the reason that Scrapbook works and HTTRACK doesn't is that I open the web page from my member signin, and after that Scrapbook acts like me visiting every page, and doing a "save web page" on each one.

In any case, it looks like the content can be saved. The functioning web site, I have dim hopes for. All that has to happen is for the autopilot to run it into an iceberg or a reef, or for pirates to board, (which is more likely), and then... oops...
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Alright.

It is a bit more complicated than it has to be.

I can program a software that will automatically trace the forum and collect the posts data, links and attached files and further can store this in whatever format is needed.

The issue is that the forum is now (I don't know whether it used to be) protected by Incapsula service that detects standard techniques for obtaining a web page via means other than a web browser software (btw, it is a good thing for protection:) Not sure whether it was installed a year ago).

I don't want to persevere in bypassing it. Besides that it will usually lead to blacklisting the offensive IP address (also a good thing) its installed for a reason.
There's of course a white list within Incapsula configuration of IPs, i.e. IPs that are excluded from the detection process. However, I am not sure if somebody would care changing it.

The alternative would be doing a browser plugin... similar to Scrapbook, I guess.

Niki
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Synchu wrote:The issue is that the forum is now protected by Incapsula service that detects standard techniques for obtaining a web page via means other than a web browser software
Yep. I got down to there. I haven't yet figured out a way to get Httrack to let me get past that and then go on with the scraping.

The IP I was working from was blacklisted a few times, but the IP I appear to be from varies, a normal part of my shields structure.
There's of course a white list within Incapsula configuration of IPs, i.e. IPs that are excluded from the detection process. However, I am not sure if somebody would care changing it.
Yep. I thought about that, but if the owner of the server/website passwords has spent a year not fixing this (for what are probably good and valid reasons to them ) then I doubt they will be able to or have time to set a copying IP up on the whitelist.

I think if it's going to be saved, it will be by gingerly copying whatever can be gleaned from accessing each page in turn in a manner that doesn't wake up the guard dog.

I had another ideal last night. Scrapbook sets up a copy with its own internal format of index, but the file://website.copy.here it makes is accessible by a standard browser. It may be possible to make a scrapbook copy, then "scrape" that with Httrack to build a standard html index.

All of this presupposes that a simple copy of where the site is will be OK for the user's needs, and that not having any of the underlying works will not harm things.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

OK, this is odd.

The site has not been displaying the warning page since some time yesterday. Generally once I ignore the warning, it stays ignored until I restart my browser. This instance of the missing warning has survived two machine reboots and several browser restarts.

I suppose it is always possible that the maintenance got done and all is now sunlight, daisies, and unicorns.

In any case, I have a saved scrapbook version that goes back to the site start in 2005.

I think. :D
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

@ Site Admin:

I got an error message when posting this message. I tried reposting, got the same error message, and I assumed the post had failed. However, both posts showed up.

I've edited this message to contain the error message I received:

Code: Select all

Failed sending email :: PHP ::
DEBUG MODE
Line : 234
File : emailer.php
Apparently php was trying to send an email upon processing my attempt at posting. It completed the post and failed on the email.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I still see the malware warning. :(

Edit: AND I also see the error:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Weird.

Ah, well. I was hoping that maybe our conversations had stirred something.

I guess not.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I just tried and got the malware warning from Chrome. I have surmised that I've "trained" Firefox to ignore the warning, probably because I stop by here pretty regularly.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

It's bizzarre. I'm still not getting the red screen.

I wonder if sites expire off the attack site list after a year. The timing is suspiciously right.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Which browser? Version?

I'm using Chrome Version 51.0.2704.103 m and have never stopped getting the red screen warning. If you are using Chrome Maybe you have disabled protection in advanced settings?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Safari is letting me through with fraudulent site warning turned off on my MacBook, but flags the site on my iPhone.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

... and now it's back. This is not the first time this has happened.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

Never mind.

I accidentally turned off the "block attack sites" setting in Firefox. The warning was probably never really gone; I just didn't see it.

Maintaining your shields is a never-ending process.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Weel I, for one, am at peace with this situation. I know there is nothing I can do to fix it. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, especially on my iPad, but I am able to participate and get to the wealth of knowlege thar is here. It would be a different story if I had to pay for access to the site, but since it is free, I take solice in the old saying "you can't get something for nothing", and I appreciate the fact that it's even here at all. As far as I am concerned, I have nothing to bitch about.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture