looking for feedback, suggestions, recomm, do's dont's...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donzoid

looking for feedback, suggestions, recomm, do's dont's...

Post by donzoid »

So along comes career change number five (last October) and I and 30,000 others got RIF'd. My little corner of the world was as a software business analyst for this multinational behemoth, specifically in the medicare/medicaid realm. Project related work.

I wasn't all that heartbroken as it was time to move on - the older I get I am less and less tolerant of the bureaucracy; and the yuppie takeover. Yeah finances are a "trainwreck" (LOL) but that's part of livin'. Soooo.

Come to find out I and many of those other 30K folks qualify for retraining through the TRA TAA program (when your jobs are getting outsourced over the borders, you can retrain, draw extended unenjoyment, become someone new, etc).

I'm down to a few choices and being 56 even though I love the idea of construction contracting - I've done lots of it and most of it is too much to physically keep up with day in day out, so looking for feedback on these - but want to keep it a short training period (6 months preferably, not two more years, for shit's sake, I already HAVE an MBA....and the bill for it)

1. Electronics repair technician - WELL,
:roll:
it WOULD make me a smarter amp builder, heheh! In today's disposable society though I wonder if it would generate enough work to break even (similar to repairing and building tube amps)
2. Precision calibration technician (the certification for this one is probably titled - engineering tech or lab calibration...)
3. Technical writer ;
...mostly freelance but I have a lot of experience with it already. Doesn't seem to pay very well, but solid growth projected (and flexible).
4. Home inspection / Construction inspection / Real Estate appraisal - or Home Energy Auditing . Transferable skills /experience would make these pretty easy for me.

and bringing up the rear...
SEO consultant (search engine optimization, yep there is actually a cert for this, wow)

and "Other" (example: Import/Export) consultant...

If any of you are doing these, or are real familiar with, reply or send me a PM and give me the lowdown, likes / dislikes.... Whatever I end up doing, I want to make sure that if a business "goes away" (say the owner retires, for example) I want to be able to keep doing it freelance on my own. Then I have no one to blame...but me self! Thanks in advance.
https://www.facebook.com/trialbyfirerocks

Be sure your tinfoil hat has a good low impedance ground.
Phil_S

Re: looking for feedback, suggestions, recomm, do's dont's...

Post by Phil_S »

Given your stated age, I suggest you want this to be your last career change. On that note, it is important to find something that is somewhat recession proof. While there is no sure thing, some jobs carry through the economic downturns better than others. There are labor market studies that will suggest the stronger sectors. You'll have to seek them out. Bureau of Labor Statistics is a good place to start. You might be able to get in touch with someone who can help with this, like a career counselor.

Since you are eligible for some sort of assistance, see if you can get interest and aptitude testing. You should be able to ask for this. Often, this type of "inventory" test is self-administered and self-scored, so you just have to get hold of the instruments. These things will help steer you into something you can be good at, learn quickly, and that you want to be doing. Don't skip this step as it may reveal to you other avenues. Right now, I suspect your list is based on those things that are familiar to you.

Sorry to hear of your situation. If you do this right, you can end up better off than you were. You've got a long and stable work history. I'm fond of saying, people who know how to get things done don't have difficulty finding work. Focusing on that when you talk to people will advance you quickly to the finish line.

Wishing you the very best.

Phil
donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Thanks Phil, I've done Myers-Briggs a couple of times...and perhaps my biggest problem is just not being real excited about another change. I have done several interest profiles. My State of Oregon case worker career counselor doesn't really get "right brain visual spacial" people like me...last week he suggested a CDL / truck driver. Really? I'd rather repair them (diesel mechanic) than drive them...heheh!

On the other hand, I believe everything happens for a reason, corporate existential hell was not my paradise and sometimes it takes a while to figure it all out. My primary motivation is "less stress"...

Bob Simpson

my .02...

Post by Bob Simpson »

Hi Donzoid.
I'm in a similar situation.
62 years old, software developer for the last 35 years.
Came back to work from open heart surgery, and a couple of
months later, was laid off with the rest of the company.
Seems developers in the Ukraine will work for 2 rubles and a
bowl of fish eye soup a day.
Anyway, Colorado has a retraining program as well.
No extended unemployment, ( you'll have to tell me about that one ).
I got the training grant after jumping through many flaming hoops.
I'm thinking about locksmith training.
Easy work, good money, and if the boss dies, I get my own insurance
and strike out on my own. And best thing, they can't ( yet ) take it offshore.
Best wishes.
Let me know if I can help.
Bob Simpson
Last edited by Bob Simpson on Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I like this one best:

2. Precision calibration technician (the certification for this one is probably titled - engineering tech or lab calibration...)

The others are tied to things that I don't have faith in being as productive for you. That sounds like a service that can't be wiped away by a single tech breakthrough that tosses you another bowling ball. It also sounds spendy for the customer, so immediate respect, attention.. so on..

I wish you the absolute best of luck no matter what you choose.

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

My brother is a home inspector here in Texas. I believe the training varies from state to state. He loves it, but he is wired a bit different from me. Here are some things to consider:

Starting out, the biggest challenge is sales and marketing. My brother cleans up well and was able to work himself into a few of the local real estate offices. Being able to relate to the real estate agents is important.

You will drive your own vehicle a lot

Since you will be self employed, there are no paid vacations, holidays or benefits. You have to have enough self discipline to not spend the half of your pay that the government wants.

You are dealing with the general public and people are nuts.

The plus is that you get to make your own schedule, business comes to you after you are established and if someone is too nuts for you to handle, you can tell them to hire someone else. The pay seems to be pretty decent, but it takes a lot of effort in the beginning to fill the pipeline.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Reeltarded wrote:I like this one best:
2. Precision calibration technician
This got me to thinking...looks like there is plenty of opportunity and quite a few of them. I think I'd steer clear of any direct oil-related work. I imagine there's a lot of it in your neck of the woods.
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Calibratio ... an&l=Texas
donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Well thanks all! I checked with the community college today and the calibration tech is part of the Electronics section (woot!) and the actual title of the certification is "Process Control" (FWIW)

PLUS

At least one and prolly all of these will accept all of my credits for the general ed stuff.

Bob, I will PM you with some suggestions I think are good for CO as well.

donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Miles,

Thanks! I was leaning this way because "everywhere" I look, something is getting measured, tracked and calibrated...and yes as you say one tech disruption won't make it all go away.

I don't foresee them being able to offshore all of it either....same with home inspection.

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My former young Tai Kwan Do instructor years ago entered the Marines and his MOS was in calibration. After his enlistment he started his own calibration business because there was no one providing this type of service in the area. That business today has evolved into a larger business. No idea what he takes home but by the looks of his work trucks and increased personnel he is doing well.

Best of luck to you.

Mark