Amp tech pricing

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

Amp tech pricing

Post by Smokebreak »

Seems as though I've turned into the local repair dude. At first it was just friends, so I cut everyone a break. Now that strangers are calling me, I have a website, etc., I'm ready to charge some real fees.
I've haven't gone to the shop in so long I don't even know how much a cap job costs the rest of the world.
I'm curious to hear how you guys structure pricing. I've set a $65/hr bench rate for myself, with a 1 hr minimum, but I've always thought that was kinda BS because some work faster than others. The dude that did my porch quoted me for a porch, not by the hour.
Anyways, how do you do it? I've got a 2002 Deluxe RI in front of me that obviously needs PS caps a fresh set of 6V6s. Let's say I'm using F&Ts. Do you markup the cost of the parts? Charge by the hour? I mean, I'm gonna be done in 30 minutes!
How much would you charge for this job?
TUBEDUDE

Re: Amp tech pricing

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I charge 45/hr plus parts. But occasionally I charge less if the hours are excessive IMO.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

This is going to be regionally sensitive.

I as charging $80 / hr. plus parts. I didn't have a business, it was just word of mouth, and probably only did about 20 repairs / maintenance jobs. But noone ever questioned my rate.

Note, I live in NJ, and so NYC rates probably have an influence on what I can get away with.
drew

Post by drew »

Nothing wrong with buying parts at wholesale and charging customer retail prices. Also nothing wrong with one hour minimum, and I doubt if you really track all the time you spend in intake, documenting your work, yakking with customer, etc., that it comes in at much less than an hour, even if you're only handling tubes or soldering for 30 minutes.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I live in an economically depressed area, so I charge $25 an hour. I usually buy parts from Mouser, and sometimes CE Distribution. I take the total cost of parts, minus shipping and multiply that by 1.25, then add-in the actual cost of shipping. And like TUBEDUDE, if I rack up an unusually large number of hours, I subtract some time to keep it affordable, especially when the customer has brought me a low dollar piece of equipment. For example, I had one guy bring in a $100 guitar and wanted the four pots and jack replaced. It also needed a setup (and I had to reverse some of the bridge saddles because I could not get it to intonate), and a replacement pickup selector switch knob that had gone missing. Total parts cost (including my markup) was $24.41, and I had 2 hours, forty minutes into it, which would have put the bill at $91.08, including parts. I reduced the labor charge from $66.67 to $30, and charged him $54.51 total. But this was for a guy whom I had been in bands with, and is on a fixed income, so.....
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I charge $70 per hour with a half hour minimum... but I have come up with prices for stuff like guitar repair... Change pups $35+ parts... Hollowbodies are $70+. If I'm changing pups and it needs everything else I just go with $20 more labor + additional parts. Stuff like that with set prices seems to work for me.

I really never charge by the hour after a couple of hours... all on a bid beyond that. I call or contact the customer with an assessment after a half hour in on most everything. Parts charge is about the same as what was stated above. Gotta pay your overhead somehow.

With amps, I can usually figure it out in a half hour. Or I'll sit it to the side and do some quick research or post a query here. I test tubes fast so I don't charge for that... It is part of the $35 half hour. I put a tube in the tester and set a timer while I check the guts. Once I have a good idea of what it will take then I will charge for the time it takes for repair... Not what it took to learn. Sometimes this will bite you, but I keep the price down and customers return... And have told their friends. :) I can't tell you how many times I am glad to have my notes that were so hard to gather from before.

Once I got used to some of the "same old stuff, same old problem" amps, I began to make decent money. I also supplement this with amp builds, pedals and pickups... I'm tolexing a bunch of stuff right now, so whatever pays the bills.

I don't try to have a big head about it but it is also very cool to earn respect from the locals. If you are fair with your prices they will bring gear from everywhere. Be prepared for that. :wink:
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Smokebreak wrote:Seems as though I've turned into the local repair dude.
Remember, these are the side effects of being in on TAG. You signed up for it when you registered here. :P
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
andresound

Post by andresound »

It's starting to happen to me... But I am in no way confident enough yet. Problem solving is a looooong way off! :cry:

Because of the TAG team and their help, my few builds I have done so far are giving me credibility (underserved of course) :oops: I took my Bassman to Dumble ODS conversion to a local recording studio last week because the owner was curious to hear one. The owner/proprietor said its was the best, "biggest" sounding amp he has ever heard!!! :shock:

Then asked me to finish a old plexi refurb he had started and didn't have time to finish.

Great hobby :lol:
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
chief mushroom cloud

Post by chief mushroom cloud »

$75hr 1hr min no markup on parts+shipping...no ifs, ands, or buts regardless of what it bills out in the end...it cost what it cost, take it or leave it. Even for friends.
If you even have a hint of guilt about money....your only going to end up with a burning, internal, regretful frustration that will manifest itself in another part of your life.
Don't overthink it. Just drink it.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I've repaired almost 500 units over the past few years. Word of mouth, and an ongoing relationship with Guitar Center. I charge $60/hr, one hour minimum, retail for parts. Like most repair persons, I often discount my hours when I stumble around trying to find the issue--I charge what it "should" have cost, had I known exactly what to fix.

I've had two complete failures, where I had to buy a replacement PCB and eat some cost. I've had only one person (poor college student) decline to pay the bench fee after learning the repair would cost too much. All other repairs have been successful and ended with happy customers, which, after almost 500, gives one a fairly confident feeling!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I don't repair stuff. I'm in a "white collar" service business and, though I do it, I don't like hourly billing and never have. The best jobs I've worked have been on a fixed fee. If you are confident in yourself. You can value bill the work by the job and then you aren't watching the clock. It is better for both the customer and the person delivering the service. Sometimes you'll win and sometimes you'll lose. It will even out.

I the case of repair work, parts are extra and don't be bashful about marking them up to retail. This is how business is supposed to work!
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Thanks so much for all responses, guys!. This really helps put things in perspective. Here's how this last one went and the way I priced it:

2002 Deluxe RI that sounded horribly wrong, never serviced
Needed:
2x 6V6 @ 40
2x12ax7 @ 50
GZ34 @ 30
All Elytics, incl preamp @ 50
--------------------------------
$170 parts

Labor:
-Biased tubes, which required figuring out why no V was getting to grids
-Full cap job
-Clean all pots out(hell that took 15min with that PcB)
-Get microphonic pre tubes outta there
Took me 2+ hours @65/hr = $130 labor
-------------------------------------------

$300 total
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

A bargain for quality work!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

chief mushroom cloud wrote:$75hr 1hr min no markup on parts+shipping...no ifs, ands, or buts regardless of what it bills out in the end...it cost what it cost, take it or leave it. Even for friends.
If you even have a hint of guilt about money....your only going to end up with a burning, internal, regretful frustration that will manifest itself in another part of your life.
This, to the letter.

And no PCB board amps.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Dave,

Are you repairing full-time?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo