We need to relearn listening and get Hifi back in our lifes!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoeTele

Re: We need to relearn listening and get Hifi back in our lifes!

Post by JoeTele »

This is a timely thread for me. At 40, and a lifelong music lover, I've just scratched the surface of hi-fi with a Mullard 3-3 build I got a good deal of help with here a few months back. I'm just running it with a $60.00 Fostex full range driver in a bass reflex bookshelf cabinet setup and it's just awesome. Before that I'd built 5 guitar amps and still love it, but I think hi-fi could become (if it hasn't already) the lion's share of my tube doings, which are increasing exponentially. In fact, I already have a matching driver and port tube to my Fostex box and am planning on going stereo early in the new year with a Dynaco ST-35 clone build. I've also been rediscovering listening to CD's on a standalone CD player, totally offline (much more relaxing to me). I had been looking at maybe picking up a particular Onkyo new for about $200 when that exact model popped up on Craigslist for $65 with 15-20 hours of use and while it's not the most high end, it sounds exceptional to me. In fact, it's easily the best player I've owned and my CD collection started in junior high in the early '90's. The whole configuration really brings the musicians into the room in a way I don't think I've ever experienced and I look forward to a good deal of chasing with different amps, speakers, formats and, absolutely, listening, with the music the primary focus of my attention. The setup I have now favors acoustic music and singer-songwriter type stuff and it will be nice to have a package that does a better job of delivering blues, classic rock, and on and on.

Joe
rp

Post by rp »

I'm relieved you are going stereo :lol: The future is now. But here's some mono in the mean time:

https://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Years-M ... o+atlantic

The Dynco ST35 is nice I wish I kept mine. Actually I butchered it before there was an internet and sold off the parts when too lazy to deal with it. Long ago there were problems with the ex-commie 7199s or 7247s and NOS got expensive, maybe that's resolved now. There are may boards and circuits to mod the ST35 so it's a small problem. A Mullard 5-10 with ST-35 Triode iron would be a fine amp too, maybe better.

I've no idea why everyone here isn't into tube stereo, great excuse to fill every room of the house with glowing DIY tube gear.

Really, 86 the CDs, all you need these days is a decent USB DAC for $100 and you can move your library to FLAC or ALAC. I use an old original version, of maybe this now, but not sure. But there are many. This was seamless plug and play with my mac stuff so I liked:

https://www.amazon.com/FireStone-Audio- ... 796&sr=8-8

http://fires-audio.eu/

my old Rega Planet CD was better but not by much. You can also run something like an Airport Express or PC equivalent to your stereo across the room. Sounds rather good considering.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

rp wrote:
I've no idea why everyone here isn't into tube stereo, great excuse to fill every room of the house with glowing DIY tube gear.
I'm a chicken when it comes to tube stereo hifi. Even thought I love acoustic jazz from the 50s and 60s, I'm a little afraid that tubes could be a little too polite and not really able to deliver modern blues and solid rock. When we tuned my buddy's Dynaco ST70 knock off (with improved front end instead of the 7199 tube), I think we ended up in a corner, where his setup got a little too EL34ish nice and mid focused.

However, I have bought two pairs of transformers for a couple of 2xKT88/6550 mono amps. Which I think will end up with a Williamson kind of design. With 560 volts on the plates it could be a potent amp for my ADS L810 speakers.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
bluesfendermanblues

JoeTele wrote:......The setup I have now favors acoustic music and singer-songwriter type stuff and it will be nice to have a package that does a better job of delivering blues, classic rock, and on and on.

Joe
I hear you. I also want both subtle and solid from my setup.
JoeTele

Post by JoeTele »

rp, (or anyone), can you recommend a DAC for about $100? I tried the Dragonfly, made sure it was the one designed for computers and not mobile devices, and it was literally like throwing a blanket over my speaker when compared with the stock sound card in my budget friendly office depot laptop. After that, I sort of wrote off the enterprise. As far as tubes, I'm going to do 6AV6/6C4 for each channel, the single triodes that constitute the 7247. More tubes, and I got a sleeve of 5 NIB Mullard 6AV6s for about $35. Paid bit more for the 6C4s ($32ish for 3 Mullards, NIB from the UK) but I'm curious to see how this works out. I even netted a nice stash of 20 NIB (and I mean NEW looking) but possibly untested Telefunken 6AV6s from the '50's for less then I might pay for a single Telefunken ECC83 in similar condition. Most of those may or may not get sold after I finish building my tube tester, we'll see.

Joe
bluesfendermanblues

JoeTele wrote:rp, (or anyone), can you recommend a DAC for about $100? I tried the Dragonfly, made sure it was the one designed for computers and not mobile devices, and it was literally like throwing a blanket over my speaker when compared with the stock sound card in my budget friendly office depot laptop. After that, I sort of wrote off the enterprise. As far as tubes, I'm going to do 6AV6/6C4 for each channel, the single triodes that constitute the 7247. More tubes, and I got a sleeve of 5 NIB Mullard 6AV6s for about $35. Paid bit more for the 6C4s ($32ish for 3 Mullards, NIB from the UK) but I'm curious to see how this works out. I even netted a nice stash of 20 NIB (and I mean NEW looking) but possibly untested Telefunken 6AV6s from the '50's for less then I might pay for a single Telefunken ECC83 in similar condition. Most of those may or may not get sold after I finish building my tube tester, we'll see.

Joe
A good DAC for $100? My VDAC II from Musical Fidelity is really transparent and detailed. Not as dynamic in the bass as some of the more expensive ones, but quite decent at the price. I payed a little more than 100, but thats 4 years ago, som its probably 100 at ebay now.
rp

Post by rp »

I'm a chicken when it comes to tube stereo hifi. Even thought I love acoustic jazz from the 50s and 60s, I'm a little afraid that tubes could be a little too polite and not really able to deliver modern blues and solid rock. When we tuned my buddy's Dynaco ST70 knock off (with improved front end instead of the 7199 tube), I think we ended up in a corner, where his setup got a little too EL34ish nice and mid focused
True and I use ss too. But first chance I get I build a triode Williamson to play with. Only thing to fear is the money involved, at least for a bigger pair of tube amps. You're certainly not forced to get rid of your ss gear. Too tubey for when you want too tubey in the master bedroom or man cave and ss for when you want to rock in the living room. You can always make your tube amp more ss sounding by moving through the ages, one mod at a time till you can take no more: UL, ss rectifier, ever bigger filter caps, regulated screens, dc heaters, regulated B+, feedback on every stage - presto change-o - a tube amp that sounds like bad solid state. Or maybe clone a Harman Kardon Citation II - an over-designed tube amp that sounded like great solid state. Heyboer made the original iron. All the feedback everywhere might make it a master class to clone.

Here's the GEC KT-88 UL. You could probably use MC/Triode Dynaco MK3 iron and keep the cost reasonable. I'd certainly up the filtering, but not so much as to loose the bloom. With a traditional triode strapped Williamson if I understand it right the instability is in the low end so changing the power string requires some knowledge. I think the UL versions aren't as troublesome.

http://www.tubebooks.org/books/gec_approach.pdf

This might be a nice balance btwn tubes and ss. The recommended exotic OT iron is pretty cheap and there's a USA retailer somewhere. There are special cool/odd tranny cans available.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upload ... _30wpp.pdf
rp

Post by rp »

I never tried those mini dacs that get power off the USB, only with wall warts or a nice discreet ps. The dinky 5V supply might be the limiting factor? I wanted to build a discreet robust 12V for my Fubar for kicks, bet it would help a bit. Most dacs of whatever price range have the same chip inside, like the same Burr-Brown of the moment. And some expensive ones will even have a the same chip as a cheap dac - haha. I googled Dragonfly - Audioquest? All I know about Audioquest is that I worked for a dealer and kept taking home loose cables to try and each one was like a different filter - each made the sound cloudier in some way - WTF? Talk about audio jewelry. Maybe their schtick was catering to people with badly put together systems that unknowingly needed a filter???

I'm too far removed from this stuff now to recommend things, I don't even know who bought who, what's turned to crap, what is Made in China good what is MIC bad. Rega is my favorite honest hifi company without doctor/lawyer/investment banker prices. Musical Fidelity and Cambridge are probably still honest. If I had to get a DAC now I'd have to google too.

Only two companies make DA chips, or used to, so on the low end just check what's inside. Some let you roll the OP amps. Quality hi-end hifi stuff should be bought used, most is well build and made to last, and hifi nuts just change stuff all the time, and once it changes hands 2-3 times people let it go really cheap as they bought it cheap - rich guy bought it second hand out of curiosity and couldn't care if he looses a few hundred to move it fast to free up cash for next fetish item. You can find some real bargains that way.

BTW there's a world of Asian/Hong Kong DAC kits on ebay and the web that look amazing at all prices, again it's just some mix of the same 2-3 DA chips with ever more complex ps's and op amps. You might google that universe and check DIYaudio forum. For like $150-250 there are some really slick looking kits.
bluesfendermanblues

rp wrote:
I'm a chicken when it comes to tube stereo hifi. Even thought I love acoustic jazz from the 50s and 60s, I'm a little afraid that tubes could be a little too polite and not really able to deliver modern blues and solid rock. When we tuned my buddy's Dynaco ST70 knock off (with improved front end instead of the 7199 tube), I think we ended up in a corner, where his setup got a little too EL34ish nice and mid focused
True and I use ss too. But first chance I get I build a triode Williamson to play with. Only thing to fear is the money involved, at least for a bigger pair of tube amps. You're certainly not forced to get rid of your ss gear. Too tubey for when you want too tubey in the master bedroom or man cave and ss for when you want to rock in the living room. You can always make your tube amp more ss sounding by moving through the ages, one mod at a time till you can take no more: UL, ss rectifier, ever bigger filter caps, regulated screens, dc heaters, regulated B+, feedback on every stage - presto change-o - a tube amp that sounds like bad solid state. Or maybe clone a Harman Kardon Citation II - an over-designed tube amp that sounded like great solid state. Heyboer made the original iron. All the feedback everywhere might make it a master class to clone.

Here's the GEC KT-88 UL. You could probably use MC/Triode Dynaco MK3 iron and keep the cost reasonable. I'd certainly up the filtering, but not so much as to loose the bloom. With a traditional triode strapped Williamson if I understand it right the instability is in the low end so changing the power string requires some knowledge. I think the UL versions aren't as troublesome.

http://www.tubebooks.org/books/gec_approach.pdf

This might be a nice balance btwn tubes and ss. The recommended exotic OT iron is pretty cheap and there's a USA retailer somewhere. There are special cool/odd tranny cans available.

http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/upload ... _30wpp.pdf
Thanks for the tip on the Harman Kardon Citation II - sounds like a plan to start in the Williamson corner and work from there towards the HK CII design.
rp

Post by rp »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:Thanks for the tip on the Harman Kardon Citation II - sounds like a plan to start in the Williamson corner and work from there towards the HK CII design.
Good luck, hell of an undertaking. Go here first:

http://www.mcshanedesign.net/

It might compel original style OTs to work out. That could cost, maybe Heyboer could still make? One problem with cloning a very particular circuit is that it might not allow much reworking if it doesn't work out right. The old simple vintage stuff published by tube companies allows for a whole lot of redesign and modding.

I just realized this post had a page 1. I wish I had an Oracle TT. Nice man toy.
rp

Post by rp »

I got curious about DACs again and did some googling.

Here's an option, made in USA, 15 day return. Of the cheaper ones I'd opt for one with the wall wart not the 5V USB supply.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

this was one of the Asian DACs I remembered, but not a kit:

http://www.poppulse.com.hk/product.php? ... 0113154811

no first hand listening experience just pointing stuff out.

Also check used/closeout audiogon.com -> DA converters, brands like Cambridge, NAD, Musicale Fidelity make inexpensive stuff and are righteous manufactures (UK design Chinese production) not fly-by-night internet stuff.

Also Audio Engine makes a DAC, I own, have used various, of their powered speakers, cheap an good - not great but good for the money.

http://shorelinemusic.com/ has gotten into digital music, checkout their options.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... NALOG.html
roberto

Post by roberto »

I highly recommend to build this phono preamp with positive feedback design:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/indiscreet.html
Scooter Thomas

Post by Scooter Thomas »

Cool thread. A few years back I realized I was sick to death of playback through my 90s receiver/bookshelf, computer speakers, low end m-audio monitors... I was sick of all of it. So over some months I put a low budget system together piecemeal. I looked at a lot of 60s/70s gear, I thought I wanted something like Dynaco. I ended up with a Yamaha M-50 (1983), Kenwood Basic C-1 preamp (1984), ADS L710 speakers (1977), Pioneer PL-450 and Hitachi HT-L303 turntables. The Kenwood only supports one turntable, so I use this cool little preamp: https://www.amazon.com/TC-750LC-BLACK-P ... s=tc-750lc I need to get back to trying to find a tuner.

So there's nothing special here, not remotely audiophile, but respectable. I felt fortunate to put it together for under $800 sans cartridges. The speakers and preamp are actually pretty special sounding. Suffice to say this rig is lightyears more revealing and just plain gratifying to listen to. It blows my mind that folks are listening to music through stuff like home theatre surround systems and... subwoofers... yuck. A computer or surround system won't accurately present a 60's Sarah Vaughan album (stereo), for example.
bluesfendermanblues

L710. Great set of speakers you've got!

I've got a pair of (Braun =ADS) L810 speakers. IMO they are pretty audiophile. Especially after upgrading the crossover capacitors - in line with respectively the treble tweeter and the mid dome - with Jantzen Superior Z caps (http://www.parts-express.com/brand/jant ... Selected=t)- same values as in crossover. After proper burn in time (100-200 hours) these speakers are killer. I'm planning the same upgrade on a pair of Yamaha NS1000 I've got in another room.

My sound source is a CAPS ver3 server. (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... v3-carbon/)

On my bench I have a Hiraga 20w Class A, (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hiraga-super-30 ... 1554546439). I'm going to use +/-21volt for 20w. Gonna be great. BTW Jean Hiraga is a French/Japanese Gentleman like Ken Shindo is on par with Mr. D in terms of being able to tweak for sound.

There's a lot of great hifi to be had /build on a small budget.
Scooter Thomas

Post by Scooter Thomas »

bluesfendermanblues wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 pm L710. Great set of speakers you've got!
Thanks, you too. I really scored on 'em, perfect metal grills, pretty wood and cloth driver surrounds. Funny thing, I thought I wanted "big box" sound, like early Advents, but the L710s sound pretty big, way more detailed. I've thought about doing the caps but they sound so good, I don't know. I'll be honest, I've never heard of a dedicated audio server and I'm fascinated, but it would have to be linux. My sources are vinyl, cassette and computer. I just have an iMac so, iTunes, Grarage Band, Logic, VLC, Spotify; mp3, AAC and flac.

I don't follow on the Hiraga, mono right?, what's the application? Through-hole PCB is about my speed for assembly, lol!