Big new toy

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Big new toy

Post by HeeBGB »

3 phase is not needed. I am going to run the head offf of a VFD and the controls are 120VAC

For the move I have a 4000# engine hoist. I will have to dis-assemble the unit and then my nephew has an F350 with enough payload to carry each piece. Either that or I pay a rigger
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Cantplay wrote: You'll also need 3 phase to run it.

John C.
I was thinking the same thing, if his shop was setup for 3 phase or whether he would need a converter.

TM
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

My brother (the one giving me the CNC-I have two brothers) has been running a Bridgeport with DRO in his garage for the last 20 years. He does not have 3 phase. He is using a 1hp motor to set phase for the 3/4hp head. He has a toggle switch wired up so he rolls the 1hp motor shaft with his foot then flips the toggle switch and it runs the head. The 1hp provides phase for the head. Works like a charm but I will be purchasing a 5hp vfd with single phase primary.
drew

Post by drew »

How much would something like this cost if you didn't have a nice brother to give it to you?
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

drew wrote:How much would something like this cost if you didn't have a nice brother to give it to you?
I really couldn't venture a guess. There is one of the same brand on eBay but it looks larger and newer with a starting bid of $8500. No bids yet. Who knows. Not looking to sell it anyway
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

I am well and truly jealous. I make do with a mini drill mill and a harbor freight mini-lathe, which together is just enough to make me appreciate what real machines would do.

Enjoy it and make LOTS of swarf.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

HeeBGB wrote:My brother (the one giving me the CNC-I have two brothers) has been running a Bridgeport with DRO in his garage for the last 20 years. He does not have 3 phase. He is using a 1hp motor to set phase for the 3/4hp head. He has a toggle switch wired up so he rolls the 1hp motor shaft with his foot then flips the toggle switch and it runs the head. The 1hp provides phase for the head. Works like a charm but I will be purchasing a 5hp vfd with single phase primary.
Any way to expound on this... It is very interesting to me. Pics? Further explanation?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

dorrisant wrote:
HeeBGB wrote:My brother (the one giving me the CNC-I have two brothers) has been running a Bridgeport with DRO in his garage for the last 20 years. He does not have 3 phase. He is using a 1hp motor to set phase for the 3/4hp head. He has a toggle switch wired up so he rolls the 1hp motor shaft with his foot then flips the toggle switch and it runs the head. The 1hp provides phase for the head. Works like a charm but I will be purchasing a 5hp vfd with single phase primary.
Any way to expound on this... It is very interesting to me. Pics? Further explanation?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e6eKDsDpup8
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

dorrisant wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e6eKDsDpup8
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Update! Working on getting it ready to move. Powered up the control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Getting close to moving day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Sweet!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
jelle

Post by jelle »

Yer cray!!!
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Are you throwing any chips yet?

TM
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Unfortunately no! So, instead of paying someone to move the unit for me (cost about $2000) my brothers and I are going to move it ourselves. Getting all the equipment together and all the brothers is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. Tentatively this Wednesday or Thursday. If it doesn't happen this week I might just pay someone to do it. Well see