Amplitube Max sacrilege

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: Amplitube Max sacrilege

Post by vibratoking »

The concept of noise in the models seems quite controversial judging from posts on IK's forum. One camp thinks that the model should be true to the amp being modeled, warts and all. If the noise isn't accurate, then the model isn't either. Others think filtering and noise reduction should be introduced as an improvement. Yes, there are purists who want an exact replica of the real amp. For instance, a modeled Tweed Deluxe should sound and behave exactly like the real thing. In spite of the fact that the whole system is based on software. The arguments quickly descend into an esoteric rabbit hole.

IK states that they do not model noise or something to that effect. They state that the models behave normally in that they amplify any noise that is input into the system. So, the models behave like a real amp - jacking the gain amplifies the noise. Of course, there are quite a few additional potential sources of noise given that there is a computer involved and some sort of sound system in some configurations. I would guess that the potential for ground loops is higher in most situations. I have been banging my head on the noise problem. I haven't found a configuration that I am enamored with. This noise is a show stopper for me as far as using it for live performance. I haven't used it in conjunction with my DAW, but I anticipate a similar issue.

All that said, I feel the noise amplification through the software chain is unacceptably high. The noise is much higher than when using a real amp with comparable gain. I have contacted IK support. They seem to value quick responses. Unfortunately, those responses haven't contained useful information thus far.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Do you use the noise gate? Without it, pretty much any of the medium to high gain amps are unusable. I am using a Boogie model for a base lead sound with rack effects after the speaker cab and have the gate set to -68 to -72dB, depending on the guitar. I have an Apogee Duet which I find to be very good.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I think we can offer some 60 cycle hum tracks for the vintage purists. There's a mint to be made.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Ahh but modern hum just doesn't sound the same as hum from the golden age; due to all those nasty odd harmonics.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I just don't get on with noise gates. There never seems to be one good setting. Just a bunch of late starts and early endings to my notes. I have tried believe me, but noise gates suck.

I agree. All of the medium to high gain models are high noise.

That juicy noise is the first thing that I think of when I think of an iconic amp. More buzz, hum, and hiss please. The modelers at Amplitube have dropped the ball on this and the 'purists' are thanking them for it. Imagine the outrage if Fender, Marshall, or anyone for that matter introduced a noise free amp. :roll:
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Malcolm Irving

Post by Malcolm Irving »

Would be nice if they included an ‘age’ knob too. Could range from ‘brand new’ to ’70 years old’ and would model low emission tubes, leaky coupling caps, drifted resistor values, etc.

I’m talking about the age of the amp by the way, not the player! :)