Amplitube Max sacrilege

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Amplitube Max sacrilege

Post by vibratoking »

Got a very reasonably priced version of Amplitube Max and an iRig HD 2 interface. I've been using it for a few weeks. It's installed on an I5 based PC. There is A LOT of bang for the buck! Works very nicely and models many amps, stomp boxes, rack effects, cabs, mics, etc... This thing is fun to play through. I used it to rehearse with my band a few times. Took my laptop, guitar and a few cables to rehearsal and fed it into the PA. You can make it sound good, once you know how to tweak it. Getting pretty close to the feel of playing into a real amp. It's not perfect, but it saves me hauling a bunch of gear. I have used Axe-FX and Kemper in the past. It is every bit as good as those for my use and I have less than $300 invested.

And it says tube right in the name. :P Let the disapproval begin.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Phil_S

Re: Amplitube Max sacrilege

Post by Phil_S »

If you play the geezer card, you get a free pass on not having to haul stuff. No disapproval here. My back hurts just thinking about it!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Coinkkydentally, I just enjoyed this demo by Greg Koch on the IK stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Da5ldpwZ7M

I'd love to have Greg as an instructor...but do you think he could ever shut up for a moment? Prob not.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ole "shorty" as I called him at a workshop is a lot of fun to talk to and Greg puts on a great instructional workshop. See him if you can.

Mark
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Last edited by mhartman on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

xtian wrote:Coinkkydentally, I just enjoyed this demo by Greg Koch on the IK stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Da5ldpwZ7M

I'd love to have Greg as an instructor...but do you think he could ever shut up for a moment? Prob not.
He does Skype lesson for $100/hour if you're really interested.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

No disapproval from me.

I've been using Amplitube for a few years and am now on version 4. It's very good and a significant improvement over version 3. I use an Apogee Duet interface into an iMac and back out to a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

My virtual Allan Holdsworth tone would otherwise cost many thousands to assemble and probably wouldn't sound any better at the end of the day. I've got a few stereo cleans and leads set up. The cleans are based on the licensed Fender Twin and my leads are based on Boogies. The nice thing is you can add virtual rack gear after the amp and speakers (which is what Holdsworth does).

My only minor gripe is that I wish they would do a little more work on the noise gate function.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

If you like software amp sims I'd say give S-Gear a go.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

Best software guitar amp sim I've ever used. You can add your own speaker impulses as well. I've got a selection from ownhammer that are excellent

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/

the key to getting a good sound from a 'computer' is to make sure you have a proper high impedance input (1M) into your audio interface so your Guitar is seeing the correct load. Sometime just putting a pedal in front of you interface will be all you need to do.

Marcus
xtian

Post by xtian »

norburybrook wrote:the key to getting a good sound from a 'computer' is to make sure you have a proper high impedance input (1M) into your audio interface so your Guitar is seeing the correct load. Sometime just putting a pedal in front of you interface will be all you need to do.
Was about to ask about this. Because I downloaded the IK demo, and my guitar was sounding unreasonably trebly.

So, is a buffer or clean boost pedal a good choice for this purpose?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote:
norburybrook wrote:the key to getting a good sound from a 'computer' is to make sure you have a proper high impedance input (1M) into your audio interface so your Guitar is seeing the correct load. Sometime just putting a pedal in front of you interface will be all you need to do.
Was about to ask about this. Because I downloaded the IK demo, and my guitar was sounding unreasonably trebly.

So, is a buffer or clean boost pedal a good choice for this purpose?
Xtian,

A while back I tried an Overatded Special set to pretty much clean boost into an Apogee Duet and it did not go well. The Apogee is great on its own, I have found.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

you'll have to try various things to see what works with your interface.

If your interface has a proper high impedance input then you'll be fine going straight in. Just adjust your levels so they're 'correct' and you'll be fine.

I have a Kemper now so don't use the computer much unless I'm away traveling light :D

M
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have plugged Strats, Teles, and LPs directly into a Mackie board, an iRig HD 2, and an ART MPA Gold preamp with good results.

Xtian, what are you plugging into, if I may ask?

I am still new at this, but I have used Amplitude to 'match' some of my favorite guitar tones. While listening to everything through a PA, I can pretty much match anything. It is interesting to tweak while listening. I found that choosing the right guitar amp won't get the sound completely right. The right speaker cabs and mic position and level make a big difference. In fact, many of the presets have mic levels that are too high and cause unpleasant artifacts. Then adding some post effects, especially compression, seem to allow me to dial things very close. This makes sense, since we all know that the sound in the final mix is not what the amp sounded like in the room. I'm having some fun with it.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I'm using a MOTU 828mk3. Had better luck dialing the signal down, as you said. The software is pretty astounding. I was considering getting a Helix for recording. Forget it. This will do.

It's awesome to lay down a track, loop playback, then browse the presets.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The software is sensitive to levels everywhere. Overloading the inputs in digital-land sounds terrible. Patches sound incredibly good once I get the gain staging set correctly. I had an issue with latency on several PCs running Windows 10. I had to disable many things including Bluetooth, wifi, background apps like java update, acrobat updates, all updates, in fact. After working through those issues, I am able to run with a buffer of 64 for which I cannot detect the latency. I want low latency because I want to use it 'live'. Rehearsal for now, but I am toying with the idea of doing a gig with it.

I had been considering getting a Helix as well, but Amplitube solved my problem.
tony hunt

Post by tony hunt »

Sometimes I ask myself why so many of these systems model so much 50/60 Hz ripple too.

Do you think they will let us do virtual reservoir and filter cap jobs one day soon?