phpbb3 move and themes

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: phpbb3 move and themes

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Great info Phil, and the good thing that I've found is that it seems I can install a plethora of styles and you can set your own, so it reads the way you like it. I may take some time after chatting with Allyn and just install a metric ton :P
tUber Nerd!
jelle

Post by jelle »

Oooh, I was already hoping we could do end user adjustable Themes...very cool, this would make most people happy.
Last edited by jelle on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

That's interesting stuff Phil. I wonder what a more recent study would show. Displays are completely different animals today than they were in 1980. CRT displays in general were always hard to look at for long periods.

Probably all moot anyways if he can do user selectable themes.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

User selectable sounds perfect because the color scheme is a rather large can of worms.

I don't have data on a large sample of users. I only have my own personal data. My concern isn't the sharpness of focus. Mine is related to too many photons arriving at my eyeball for too long. I don't want my monitor 'shouting' at me. I like to think of the sound analogy. Too loud for too long has negative effects.

I use Solarized as much as possible. It has consistently been the most popular color scheme since about 2010 or so for coders. YMMV.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I will go for any of them as long as the site is stable, and the malware warning goes away...

So pencil on used cardboard would be good enough!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Someone good at html/css? let's get on that for Dorissant lol. I'm hoping that one of the big concerns with the site is the ancient 2005 software running phpbb2.0 right now. Thus the push to get to the latest 3.2 and that test seems a success. I have also found a few other things that may have contributed and improved/removed them but only time will tell. I'm just waiting for some word back from Allyn on when to do the final move. He was available quite a bit over the weekend but has something taking up time now, so I'm hoping to get word back shortly.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

MakerDP wrote:That's interesting stuff Phil. I wonder what a more recent study would show. Displays are completely different animals today than they were in 1980. CRT displays in general were always hard to look at for long periods.

Probably all moot anyways if he can do user selectable themes.
I wasn't paying attention...1980...too much hurry. Sorry. Here is something more current, July 2013, from the same biblio: http://jov.arvojournals.org/article.asp ... id=2143264
Opposite performance pattern was observed between TSSLI and NSWSC...With TSSLI on positive polarity (a single small back letter on a huge white space), the bright background likely caused pupillary constriction, reduced peripheral optical aberration, and resulted in clearer retinal image for better identification (pinhole effect) but also induced stronger sense of glare. In contrast, negative polarity enlarged the pupil and caused blurry text. The vast dark background likely manifested specular reflection and reduced letter clarity. With NSWSC, however, text form was clearly visible regardless of display polarity but dark background was less stimulating and more comfortable for viewing. Overall, subjects preferred display that is less stimulating to the eyes (i.e., negative polarity and black text on gray).
whatever that means...it's enough to drive a person nuts! User selected sounds like the ultimate solution!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've chatted with Allyn and we're good to have several options there, I've picked a few and will likely add the others people have mentioned that support version 3.2. The site will be updated tomorrow night. I'm also going to add tapatalk support for you mobile users :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Terayon 4 is nice