phpbb3 move and themes

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

phpbb3 move and themes

Post by pompeiisneaks »

There may be other resources, but a quick search of the googles gave me:

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/

I kinda like this one:

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/we_universal

At any rate, this would be more of Allyn's final choice as the main site admin, but I figure people can throw out their preference here and let us know what seems like a better theme.

(I've had one complaint about the phpbb3 base theme already :D)
tUber Nerd!
rogb

Re: phpbb3 move and themes

Post by rogb »

Aero Blue is good, as well as your choice . Base one is fine too.
Hell it's all good :D
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Kind of a like the Oxygen theme :)
Niki
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

I'm partial to light text on dark backgrounds myself. Easier on the eyes.
drew

Post by drew »

Synchu wrote:Kind of a like the Oxygen theme :)
Niki
+1
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

I like this one. It's easy on the eyes

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/Hermes
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I was trying to install oxygen, and found that it's for version 3.0 only, so is that other one you're mentioning HeeBGB, Make sure it says 3.1 or later.

Here are more: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2

I uploaded one called 'digi' with many colors. The default 'new users' can get that theme, but you can set your own, you just have to go into your user control panel and set hte default one and choose one of many there, try out theones there, they look nice, for digi, but any others I'll be happy to try out there and see what's available etc. Again, I think Allyn will be fine, but we'll need his final okay for the end state of the pages there.
tUber Nerd!
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

The one I posted is called Hermes and it is for 3.0.13

Oxygen is for version 3.0.12 if that makes any difference to us
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Correction. From that last link you posted there is a version of Hermes listed for 3.0.14
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah and the current version I've got is 3.2 and doesn't support 3.0, only 3.1 and greater, I guess they changed how styles worked in 3.1.
tUber Nerd!
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I vote for phpBB SE Square Left or prosilver
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
jelle

Post by jelle »

Hi, thanks for posting this, much appreciated. Many themes to pick from. I like what we have now, easy to read. I will go over the options tonight and let you know my preference. Thanks again! :D
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

MakerDP wrote:I'm partial to light text on dark backgrounds myself. Easier on the eyes.
+1000!!! This makes a huge difference for those of us that stare at screens for long periods of time.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Cool, once I chat with Allyn, I may be able to install any number people want, because it looks like you can just choose the one you want.
tUber Nerd!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

vibratoking wrote:
MakerDP wrote:I'm partial to light text on dark backgrounds myself. Easier on the eyes.
+1000!!! This makes a huge difference for those of us that stare at screens for long periods of time.
I'm fairly certain the research has been done and that for computer screens, black text on white (just like the printed page) is actually easiest on the eyes. Respectfully, I am going to disagree and ask for black text on a white or light background. I prefer black text from experience and I am one of many who spend most of my day looking at a computer screen. When I encounter a page with light text, I usually either move on quickly or I have to figure out how to invert the text using the accessibility mode.

Who knows what is definitive when searching the internet, but here's what I found on the topic:
About 20% down the page, caption "Text Size and Color" https://www.wired.com/2013/09/flux-eyestrain/ This says to use black text.
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/5 ... r-the-eyes Go to "answers" about 20% down the page, it purports to cite research. This also suggests dark letters. Under caption "Further reading" link to https://blog.tatham.oddie.com.au/2008/1 ... -bad-idea/ Why light text on dark background is a bad idea, about 5% down the page:
However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

Ok, 26% improvement – but why?

People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the “deformed” lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.
There's more...

Thank you for considering the options.

Phil