Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

So Allyn has asked me to keep things going in a 'better' direction, any spammers/ problems, etc please post data here, so we can keep a location for all requests that are more 'admin' related. I'm not a moderator, and those guys know better than I what is 'normal' for the site etc, but I'm definitely able to nuke obvious spammers asap, etc.

One other note, I'm trying to figure out something to setup SSL so we have encrypted sessions, but having issues, over the next hour or so, you may see a very brief "site unavailable' message, that's just me trying various settings to make a hidden folder available for a one time setup for the ssl.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Added another feature, external links open in a new window/tab so you don't lose the thread location you were on. Was driving me nuts ;)

Any other known addons or features I'm open to research them.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Would really enjoy a "Like" function. Easier than replying with "+1, like the man said", and also keeps a list of what you've liked, which is cool when you're looking back for something you liked a year ago.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I did see that, I've been perusing some options, but so far nothing seems bullet proof. I'll keep looking.
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've got one working, but I"m not sure what it 'offers' other than I can see if I 'liked' a post or not. heh, I liked your request for likes.
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Added another feature, I've setup youtube embedding directly in the posts with bcode. You just click the 'youtube' link at the top when editing or wrap the text in [youtube]youtubeStringHere[/youtube]

Where you replace the 'youtubeStringHere' with the last part of the Youtube URL like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8E-oJm_8vc

that ones just : G8E-oJm_8vc

Then you can enjoy the video embedded right here in the fourms.
tUber Nerd!
rogb

Post by rogb »

Wow the YouTube embedding is great stuff!
Any further news on the SSL?
I find I am only staying logged in for a minute or two due to the security issues.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

rogb wrote:Wow the YouTube embedding is great stuff!
I find I am only staying logged in for a minute or two due to the security issues.
The hosting provider makes it really hard to setup. I spent over an hour fighting it and gave up. I'll try again. Logging out due to security? Does your work force that somehow?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I had to delete a bunch of messages that should have already been deleted and one new message in hold status?
rogb

Post by rogb »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm
The hosting provider makes it really hard to setup. I spent over an hour fighting it and gave up. I'll try again. Logging out due to security? Does your work force that somehow?

No my sense of internet insecurity does. Fear of a drive-by log in grab, I guess :)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm I had to delete a bunch of messages that should have already been deleted and one new message in hold status?
Are you talking about private messages? I think someone else said they had several like that in the old site that were 'stuck' and now the new updated one allows you to clean them up?

I'm not sure though.

Also remember the Outbox is where messages 'stay' until the recipient views them, then they go into the sent folder I believe. Or if I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, please clarify.

Thanks,

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

rogb wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 pm

No my sense of internet insecurity does. Fear of a drive-by log in grab, I guess :)
Gotcha, and understood. I'll talk with Allyn, maybe I'll donate the funds for the first year of the paid SSL cert the hosting provider seems to steer you towards.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
rogb

Post by rogb »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:37 pm
rogb wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Gotcha, and understood. I'll talk with Allyn, maybe I'll donate the funds for the first year of the paid SSL cert the hosting provider seems to steer you towards.

~Phil
Like I said earlier, I'm sure some folks on here would throw $5 each at securing the site, helping to prevent future log in hijack catastrophes .
You have done so much to get this site out of the weeds, no need for you to be out of pocket Phil. If it costs something let me know your Paypal and I'll gladly chip in.
We have had a lot of value out of this site, time to pay it back, I'd say mate.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Well Allyn is the one that has the account setup for the site, so I can't take the money and then actually use it to do that, maybe PM allyn and offer, the price seems to be 4.17 a month for the basic certs. (50.00 a year)

This really sucks, because if I could get it working, I have access to generate free certs. oh well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
drew

Post by drew »

Is the Greg D. Clark Debacle thread going to stay at the top of Garage Talk in perpetuity?