Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Could you copy the exact error message or take a screenshot and such?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Will do. It will have to wait until​morning though.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Another update about the 'search' feature. I was finally able to finish a script to fix what was 'broken'. First an explanation of the problem, they 'why' and then finally the fix:

Problem: searches were showing no clickable 'link' to the comments that had no 'subject'.

Why: Apparently in the older phpbb when you hit 'reply' the subject was empty. all searches then showed no linkable 'subject' for those that were replies and couldn't be used. In the new version you can edit your reply 'subject' but if you don't it defaults to: "Re: original thread subject here" i.e. it adds just an "Re: " to the start of the original subject. (See this thread as an example).

The fix: I wrote a script (in Perl) to connect to the db, get a unique topic with no subject, and then take that topic ID and recheck what the original one subject was. next I updated that topic for ALL empty subjects to be the "Re: " plus the original topic subject.

I tested it slowly so i didn't mangle anything, that's why it took me a bit to get it right. I tried it first only on one topic, and made sure it worked, then moved to a few more 10 at a time,and validated those, etc. Once that looked good, I jumped to 100, and to 1000 and got timings. I found all still good, so I ran 10,000 rows at a time and after 3 runs had completed updating all the topics. '

Now all searches will return with topics so you can easily click them and go right to that specific comment.

Hope that helps the search be more useful. Also I would recommend using google's site search feature, if you want, they're indexing us again now that we're 'clean' so you can find data (they can't see the files etc, that's only for members, but they see the text content') If you do a google search and append the search with:

site:ampgarage.com it restricts the search to Only that site (this one). Ex:

dumble ods schematic site:ampgarage.com

will return data based on that search through google's search algorithm. It's probably better than the built in search

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Ok, here you go. Don't know why it worked here... obviously a lot smaller.
Error Message.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've checked everything I can, and I can't find a cause, many people seem to have this 'problem' but it seems sporadic. The php settings say it handles up to 64Mb files, the forum says it limits them to 10M, but these are smaller. Some protection is in place to validate that a 'jpg' is indeed a jpg, so if it thinks you're changing a virus' extension from say .zip to .jpg it blocks it, etc. I'm really not sure why you're having that problem, can you try looking at the file properties and see what it says the file 'is', instead of the extension? I'm definitely at a loss. Maybe it's a gif you renamed to .jpg on accident or something? just throwing out guesses at this point.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

No gifs...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

weird, grasping at straws, try removing the spaces, either replace with hyphens or just collapse them? Maybe it doens't like that? Otherwise, I've seen quite a few threads on people seeing this error, with no real good 'fix' for the problem. It seems like a rare, known issue that nobody's gotten to the bottom of. Maybe you can email me the file and I can test out some? My email address I think is linked here?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Sorry Phil, I don't see your email address. Maybe you can pm me with it and I will send a few to you.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I sent you an email...
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Good news, or a start, I've got a dev version of the forum on my own server and I can reproduce the issue, now I'll see if I can debug it :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Just a WAG...

Is it possible that particular jpg file has a type encoding that the board is not expecting? JPGs can be created with normal encoding, progressive encoding, or lossless encoding. If you have a graphics program that can save the jpg with each of these, maybe save the offensive file with each encoding and see if the board will accept one of those.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Site changes - Spam Reports, Etc Please use this thread

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote:Just a WAG...

Is it possible that particular jpg file has a type encoding that the board is not expecting? JPGs can be created with normal encoding, progressive encoding, or lossless encoding. If you have a graphics program that can save the jpg with each of these, maybe save the offensive file with each encoding and see if the board will accept one of those.
possible. I'm just writing some code debug statements and seeing what is failing now, I may try that too.

Phil

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Controls left 80pc.jpg
Figured it out. I've edited the code for the uploads. You should be able to upload them now.

For the nerds: There is a built in php method called 'getimagesize' it returns a few values width, height, and file type. For these files, it was returing a valid width, and type "jpeg" but the height was 0. this seems like a bug in the core php function, but it also seems like a bug in the phpbb code. They're checking a value called 'empty' against these results. Empty is true if the value is '0' or isn't set. I had to change it to a different check called 'isset' which means 'is the variable set to some value' which '0' is a value. that seems to have solved it, but now I'll hve to remember that every update or see if I can figure out how to submit the bug to the phpbb people.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Awesome! Thanks Phil!! :D
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

NP :)
tUber Nerd!