Macbook guitar interface

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Macbook guitar interface

Post by angelodp »

Hi, nice to have TAG back up, thanks to all that worked behind the scenes to clean things up. I need some recommendations for a good system to play and record via my Macbook Pro. I am doing some recording with my brother in another state.
My MacBook Pro is a 17" mid 2010 model. I would like to keep things simple and use garage band. I have a basic IRig, but that does not produce very good results. I reckon I need some preamp system. I would like to be able to hear the guitar either from the laptop speakers or through headphones. Any suggestions for a good setup would be appreciated.

Cheers and welcome back

Ange
wyatt

Re: Macbook guitar interface

Post by wyatt »

Are you using software amp sims?

For a 2010 Macbook, I would consider a used 1st gen Apogee Duet. It was the go-to for Logic and Garage Band for a while. I see the the 1st gen go for~ $100 including all the cables on ebay (originally $600). The caveats are that it is is Mac only and Firewire (IIRC, they eventually went Thunderbolt, then USB 2.0 as Apple keeps changing the MBP inputs).

If you need something compatible with Mac and PC, then maybe the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Presonus Audiobox?

One thing to note, the recording interfaces include their own internal soundcard. You can use them as both recording interface and headphone amp at the same time, but you can't usually use them with the laptop speakers.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

wyatt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 pm Are you using software amp sims?

For a 2010 Macbook, I would consider a used 1st gen Apogee Duet. It was the go-to for Logic and Garage Band for a while. I see the the 1st gen go for~ $100 including all the cables on ebay (originally $600). The caveats are that it is is Mac only and Firewire (IIRC, they eventually went Thunderbolt, then USB 2.0 as Apple keeps changing the MBP inputs).

If you need something compatible with Mac and PC, then maybe the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Presonus Audiobox?

One thing to note, the recording interfaces include their own internal soundcard. You can use them as both recording interface and headphone amp at the same time, but you can't usually use them with the laptop speakers.
Hi Wyatt, I have an old Native Instruments Guitar Rig that I have not used in years, I'll have to dig it out. I f that does not work out I'll look for the Apogee Duet. Thanks

A
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've got a scarlett 8 channel and love it (focusrite) I'd suggest one of those too if you've got the cash for the 2 porter, I don't recall the price, but the preamps sound pretty nice imo.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I've got an Apogee Duet USB2.0/3.0 running on a Mac. Trouble free and plug and play.
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

I have Focusrite Saffire Pro 14* (firewire) that I use with either my mid-2011 iMac or my mid-2012 Macbook Pro, and I love it.

*2 pre-mic channels and 2 channel inserts (giving 4ch simultaneous) and a bunch of other stuff that enable the unit to be paired with other interfaces.

I can use my 18ch desk for micing all the drums into one input channel (through one of the sub out buses on the desk) and three other channels from direct inserts from individual desk channels, and - hey presto - I have 4 inputs into the DAW, which makes it quite easy to mix live band demos for my 4-piece surf instro band. (The only hassle is getting the drum mics all approximately balanced to begin with, but hey, its el-cheapo DYI!)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I use a Steinberg UR12 with my Mac Mini. I bought it because it also supports the iPad, which many other interfaces do not. One interface for two computing devices is a real plus for a cheapskate like me. And the bonus is that it is a nice, good sounding interface.

Worth checking out.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Colossal, so it's doing everything, acts as a preamp and interface.

A
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

angelodp wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:09 am Colossal, so it's doing everything, acts as a preamp and interface.

A
Yes, it has two XLR / 1/4" inputs (mic and instrument), selectable volume control for each, and master volume control for headphones and stereo outs.