Lace sensor opinions

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Lace sensor opinions

Post by JoshBernstein »

For all you single coil players out there, what are your opinions on lace sensors? They seem to get lots of not that great reviews, as well as some glowing ones. As a long time humbucker user, I actually really love them. They have that single coil sound but don't sound quite so thin to me. I have a silver in the neck and purple in the bridge of my strat build. I like that they're pretty compressed as I have a pretty hard pick attack usually and they handle it pretty well without flubbing out. I just wanted to hear some thoughts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JoshBernstein on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Not really
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Lace sensor opinions

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've had a strat Ultra from the 90's for that long, I was the second owner but bought it like 2 years old. It's got 3 lace sensor golds in it and I've always loved it. To me, since this is my only strat, it seems 'right' to me, and I really love the tone, that kinda jangly strat sound, but like you said a touch less high end maybe. But nowhere near like a humbucker. I love them, but also wonder what a Strat with the more standard pickups would sound like to me, as I've not played one in my rig (I've played them at stores etc, but with the usual crap amps and at low volumes).

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
brentm

Post by brentm »

I had a strat plus with lace sensors. they definitely embodied that hallmark strat sound, and the noise (60 cycle hum) while using a single coil was substantially less than your average strat single coil.

I loved them!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

When they first came out I tried a silver based on the description. Meh. Ripped it out and replaced with a SSL1, much better.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

I bought a beautiful Strat around 20 years ago with them in there. Couldn't get them out fast enough. Just didn't sound like a strat should. I tried texas specials but finally ended up with a set of Vintage Noiseless. I eventually traded it for an acoustic. I still have the originals and the texas specials around here somewhere.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I bought a Strat Plus with Lace Sensors new in the mid 80s and used it in bands for a number of years. Nice sounding guitar, but nothing extraordinary. Kinda sounded like a Strat from the 80s. Think Hall n Oats.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I do like the later "noiseless" pickups for strats. Lace are up there too.
Why Aye Man
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Always loved the sound of a vintage Stratocaster. Tried EMG, Duncan rails & stacks, Dimarzio noiseless, Lace sensors going for less noise. Dimarzio & Duncans were the most tolerable for me - Lace sensors the least. Granted , that was a long time ago and they likely are much improved. Last 15 years mostly back to living with noise and a Strat that sounds like a Strat. One of mine still has Dimarzios. But, if your guitar sounds good - it is good. :wink: