Rat and big muff in the same enclosure

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Rat and big muff in the same enclosure

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hi again everyone,
I'm considering putting my rat and big muff into one enclosure. I was considering running them in parallel, with a footswitch for each. My question is, what size enclosure would you guys recommend? I'm not super experienced in pedal building, and I don't want this thing to get too big. But at the same time it has to fit both boards in it. Thanks!
-josh
Not really
joeboo88

Re: Rat and big muff in the same enclosure

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Josh: are you looking to build these 2 pedals from scratch?
I have built numerous pedals and have combined a bunch of 2 in 1 pedal combo's
with care you can fit 2 pedals in any of the BB encloses no problem....here's a link to a site I have used when I was building pedals, never had a problem with them, I see they even have pedal kits now and you could probably buy 2 pcb's and parts for the Muff and Rat ( too bad you live so far away, I'm way up in Canada, would just give them to you - I don't use them much anymore). I have built both of these pedals on vero so I can make them fit to most enclosure sizes

https://www.mammothelectronics.com/coll ... enclosures
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

Im actually thinking of just transplanting the guts of my rat 2 and my nano big muff pi into one enclosure. So I'm restricted by the sizes of their pcbs and such.
Not really
brentm

Post by brentm »

If you just try to mash two pedal boards into one pedal, you'll run into all kinds of issues getting them to cohabitate. Unless you double the size of the case.

Since both of those schematics are available, you might consider making a custom PCB to fit your desired case size. I reworked a favorite pedal and ran a small run of 10 boards and the cost was minimal. pad2pad.com - they have the software that'll let you design the board and upload, pay, print, etc.

If you go that route, double/triple/quadruple check you work. I had one error on my board that went unnoticed for quite some time until I realized the sound wasn't 100 percent accurate to the pedal I cloned. It was an easy fix, but I had to use a wire where there was a missing trace.
dan.schumaker

Post by dan.schumaker »

If you are handy at soldering (and I assume you are since you are here), I would recommend getting both a Big Muff and Rat board from Brian at madbeanpedals.com.

The BMP (Mudbunny) and Slow Loris (Rat) would both fit very easily in a 1590BB enclosure. The boards all have board mounted pots, making wiring a breeze.

Here is a Tube Screamer and Rat I did for example:
Last edited by dan.schumaker on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roseblood11

Post by roseblood11 »

I wouldn't transplant two pcb's from original pedals into such a big enclosure. Why not sell them and build the clones on one piece of veroboard? That way, you could make some money instead of spending it and end up with a smaller enclosure.
For example, this is my TSD-91, a TS-9 and a SD-1 on one board, in a 1590b: