Should we add a few more sub topics to the main areas?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Should we add a few more sub topics to the main areas?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'm making a poll here due to a suggestion of someone else. I think it may make things easier to find if we remove things that aren't quite 'right' to a specific area and create new areas for them. (I'll then have to take some time moving things around, but that's on me). Basically recall we have 3 sections not related to sales/swaps. They are:

Shop Talk - General build related and random stuff
Hot Rods - TW and Dumble related files, builds and discussion
Sleepers - The FMV group with related files, builds and discussion (all in one category here... does it need improving?)

So I'm asking the following question below. Should we add a couple new categories: 1. clone builds 2. custom tweaked schematics that aren't the originals so people can tell the difference between an original and a tweaked one.

I'm putting it as a 'you can vote on all of them' type vote.

One caveat. For the sleepers, we only have 'discussion' I'm adding a 'sleeper -like the rest' option too, so we will still vote for the additions that are being suggested, but also to make the FMV groups more like the TW/Dumble with the 'files/discussion' type thing.

Please vote and discuss! I'd like to make things easier to navigate here, and don't know if others think this is a good idea?

Please also let me know if I'm missing any other obvious topics/areas we should add!

Edit: I nuked the poll... seems pretty clear from comments that things are fine the way they are! :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Phil_S

Re: Should we add a few more sub topics to the main areas?

Post by Phil_S »

I think a sleepers file section is a good idea. The rest, I think they just go where they've been going now. I don't see much difference, for example, between a faithful TW replica build and a TW variant. Also, a clone is by my definition, the same as an original, just not built by the original builder. (Not looking for flames here ... I'm not saying a TW clone is fully equal to a KF built TW.) That just one person's opinion. I don't claim to know anything in particular, but I'm thinking all those selections will result in having too many rooms in the house.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I absolutely get what your'e saying, my thoughts on it were that the 'clones' section helps people understand what is an original TW/Dumble etc, vs what are identical clone pictures of builds etc. It took me a bit of reading over the things in the files section to realize that some of the schematics and pictures were clones and not originals, and there's nothing inherently wrong with the clones, just so people know 'this area is for the exact TW/Dumble amp schematics and pictures, and this area is for amazing clones of them' I don't know if that makes sense, just for quickly separating the 'I'm trying to understand the originals better' vs the 'I'm curious how others built these'?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I'm not a very frequent poster, but I think there are plenty of subforums. Adding more categories makes it seem more cumbersome to me... but, don't let me stand in the way of progress.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

brewdude wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm I'm not a very frequent poster, but I think there are plenty of subforums. Adding more categories makes it seem more cumbersome to me... but, don't let me stand in the way of progress.
Making things worse is the opposite of progress ;)

So far it sounds like 2 for 'leave it be' and me :)
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 pm So far it sounds like 2 for 'leave it be' and me :)
Add another .. Ian
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think we have enough categories already.

I would be totally confused as to where to post in those categories suggested.
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

I agree with Mark, and others
rp

Post by rp »

I'm for getting rid of the vox, fender, Marshall sub-forums and back to basics. The action's all on the tech forum anyway. What's unique to tag is that it's not an everything forum it's a tw and dumble forum with a general tech section. It was easier back when to check what was new. I just check my new posts bookmark anyway, I've rarely any idea what sub-forum I'm looking at.
Last edited by rp on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Leave it be sounds good to me.
I am digging through the Hiwatt builds lately and with a separate sub forum seems easier, as the search features of forum software are typically less than optimal.
Niki
drew

Post by drew »

I think the current structure is fine.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I suggest at least one more section for amps that are not the mainstream.... i.e. a sleeper section.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I like it as is.
There's enough variety to keep most of us learning new old tricks.
Why Aye Man
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I like it the way it is. The only thing that I would want to add is a sub for pedals... I can live without it though. It is that amp garage after all.

Maybe put a "Do Nothing" choice... or "Other", in the poll above.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

No I figure if we have very few votes (like we see so far) then not enough people are interested. I guess part of the idea for this was that I was asked by people to clean up the 'files' sections that were full of discussion topics, and saw a lot of build related stuff too, and those seemed to be less 'files about how they were built' and more 'proof that building them works' but that's fine to keep them in the same sub-forum. It seems like even the 3 votes for a sleeper 'files' section isn't enough yet to qualify it as urgently 'needed'. This thing's up for a week total and if I don't see more than a few votes total, it doesn't make enough sense to act on it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!