Gregg Allman has passed

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telentubes

Re: Gregg Allman has passed

Post by telentubes »

Sorry to hear that news. Listened to Gregg as far back as I can remember.
DenDanger

Post by DenDanger »

Sorry to hear the news.
He was one of my heroes back in the day, such a soulful voice!
RIP Mr. Gregg Allman
gz34

Post by gz34 »

Rip Greg, always loved the music. Last saw him in London a few years ago, brilliant show.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One of the greats and sad to see these people leave. RIP
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

RIP

68strat

Post by 68strat »

Saw Allman Brothers Band with Berry Oakley playing bass without Duane, it was just Dickey on guitar.
10 rows back from stage this dumb punk kid i sat and watched Butch Trucks ( rip and sad just learned of from hearing about Greg ) so Butch is on stage first, my older friends yelling ' whares Dickey!!?? ' . The vibe in the place was unreal, such great positive energy. And so the fattys of puff are being lit and out walks Dickey squats down to front row and shares a couple hits of puff with a fan. Dickey so whaled on his
Les pauls that night with a huge smile and sweet tone. Huge impact on me and why i play guitar.
Greg lived a full life and sang and wrote and played great blues in his own way. Thank you Greg Allman for all the music you did. Ya done good brother
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Towards the end of my teen years, I learned that there are things that can't and shouldn't wait. I thought I'd get to see the original Allman Bros and then Duane died. I had tickets one time, but that show got cancelled ;-{. I feel fortunate to have been present at the Hofstra Playhouse where they filmed the first of a series of TV shows. This was the first time out with Chuck Levell and shortly before Berry died. It was, according to Dickey at the mic, the first live performance of Ramblin' Man. We got to see the sound check and the live take for TV. IIRC, they played 5 tunes and 3 were aired. I can't remember the name of the short-lived TV show. I was also there at Watkins Glen, an early performance with Lamar. I saw the band a few more times. I also saw Gregg with his new band about 2 years ago; his voice was still strong and the band was tight -- a great show. That last show, I remembered some things can't and shouldn't wait, and I thought, I don't know how much longer any of the older guys have.

I'm so glad I went to that last show and saddened that the end of an era is drawing much closer. I was a huge fan. IMO, Duane may have been the ramrod, but Gregg was the glue (songwriter and vocalist extraordinaire) that made the early Allman Bros what the were and what they were to become. RIP Gregg.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Eat a Peach is one of the first albums I remember as a kid,
it was one of my brothers and I liked the cover art work and I was allowed to hold it while it played. I was around 7 yrs old.
Duane Allman: "You can't help the revolution, because there's just evolution... Every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace... the two-legged Georgia variety».

Now both of the brothers are at rest.

D