Purpose of this forum

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: Purpose of this forum

Post by norburybrook »

I have to agree the with majority here. I'm a new builder and I came here with very little knowledge about amp building but with the help of people here I've build half a dozen great sounding amps and have learned an enormous amount on the way. I've actually been able to chip in and offer advice to others recently which has been a nice feeling.

the actual forums are generally very civil places and barring a few incidents I've found TAG to be a great place to hang out and interact with people.

most internet forums I'm or have been involved in have their various issues so here is no exception, however I have found it one of the better forums and as I've already said, people here seem generally nice folk.

I personally don't see any issues, but then again I'm a new member so don't have anything to judge on regarding the past.

Marcus
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

FWIW, this is the amp forum that I keep coming back to. I also think the traffic is picking up as well. Trainwrecks and Dumbles still appear to be the primary focus of the forum judging by the number of posts in each section. Change is inevitable, but I think it's great to hear from new people with new ideas. Thanks to everyone for your contributions.
drew

Post by drew »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 pm MakerDP that was pretty much the point of my comment on the other thread, if you aren't interested in a thread, ignore it. But it seemed at least on that thread that people felt the Ceriatone users were akin to spam and they were a huge waste of time on the forums.
Again, it was not about Ceriatone customers, it was about Ceriatone's business practices. The original forum members who had seen the Dumble information they were exchanging here sucked up and commercialized by someone who contributed none of it were not willing to allow the injury to be compounded by letting TAG become a place where Ceriatone buyers could come for help. It wasn't, "don't come here and waste our time with your newbie questions about how to set up a ground buss or whatever;" it was "oh, you bought one of Nik's kits and now you have questions? You know what, go ask Nik." This attitude was expressed, years later and in a very mild form, in Structo's announcement here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18953

This was 10 years ago, and most of the guys who seemed to feel strongly about it are no longer active here, so I think this is mostly a moot point now. I would suggest that anyone who is still encouraging the withholding of responses to Ceriatone-related queries should at least do so in a manner which explains the position clearly, rather than in the form of a brief comment which could be seen as unnecessarily cryptic and/or hostile by a newcomer unfamiliar with the back-story.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Cool thanks drew, that also helps with more context. I also agree that some of the comments have been cryptic and could be taken very poorly by new members. Thus why I've started up the discussion.

Thanks.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

RJ Guitars wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 pm 6) Then as number of builds and posts were already going down, we had the malware issue which went unexplained and unaddressed for a very long time and sent us into a slow steady death spiral. Vendors lost business, builders quit posting, and new comers had no help.
7) New folks that did join in often took a scolding for asking the same questions already answered before and were simply told to learn how to use the search function.
During that awful period when TAG was under the unfortunate influence of Google :evil: malware warning, these two points worked as a vicious cycle to eliminate those who sought answers here whether thru search or becoming members and asking in the forum. Anyone who googled for an answer was directed AWAY from here, though there really was no malware and perfectly good answers were to be found. Also, Google's search engine often worked better than TAG's but the answers were blocked by Google's dodgy malware block. Now that awful period is over it's taking some time but TAG is rebuilding nicely and I'm once again a satisfied participant. As far as I'm concerned TAG's reputation is fine, Google not so much. "Don't be evil" yeh, check yourselves out Googs.

AND thanks once again pompeii Phil for sorting us out ! ! !
down technical blind alleys . . .
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Leo_Gnardo wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:23 am
RJ Guitars wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 pm 6) Then as number of builds and posts were already going down, we had the malware issue which went unexplained and unaddressed for a very long time and sent us into a slow steady death spiral. Vendors lost business, builders quit posting, and new comers had no help.
7) New folks that did join in often took a scolding for asking the same questions already answered before and were simply told to learn how to use the search function.
During that awful period when TAG was under the unfortunate influence of Google :evil: malware warning, these two points worked as a vicious cycle to eliminate those who sought answers here whether thru search or becoming members and asking in the forum. Anyone who googled for an answer was directed AWAY from here, though there really was no malware and perfectly good answers were to be found. Also, Google's search engine often worked better than TAG's but the answers were blocked by Google's dodgy malware block. Now that awful period is over it's taking some time but TAG is rebuilding nicely and I'm once again a satisfied participant. As far as I'm concerned TAG's reputation is fine, Google not so much. "Don't be evil" yeh, check yourselves out Googs.

AND thanks once again pompeii Phil for sorting us out ! ! !
thanks! :) It is my pleasure.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

Malware thing was a real bummer. Glad we are back, I learned a TON through this forum when I first started. I've built quite a few amps since back then. :D . Appreciate all the help and friends I've met here. Thanks guys. Now go build something.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
tubeswell

Post by tubeswell »

We were all newbs once upon a time. Today is some other newbie's once upon a time.

Besides, succession planning of some sort will help keep the art of tube amp tinkering alive across generations.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins
deeder

Post by deeder »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pmOn the other hand, if it seems that most people that regularly frequent this forum think it's not for teaching new builders, we could likely post a sticky on the main section that tells people to look to other forums like el34world.com etc, that are great for new builders.
~Phil
There's a basic rule which runs through all kinds of music, kind of an unwritten rule. I don't know what it is, but I've got it ;^)

After all building amps it's only to play them. An amp that lets you stop fighting your guitar. A good amp makes your fingerboard feel better - it makes your string feel lighter... A good amp lets all that happen.

Reason why I knocked here on that door to build my 1987, that I converted recently into 2204 (new thread coming soon with pictures). I'm not a builder just a musician who had to know how to do it. Sometimes when I read you it's like rocket science for me but I'm working hard to understand the whole thing, I have fun with that... No drama ;^)

And you guys are awesome, really ;^)

++
deeder
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb
Rockwell666

Post by Rockwell666 »

its almost been 9 years for me and I started on the vintage amp forum learning and asking silly questions. I found the knowledge of complicated circuit designs and implementations very limited in other forums but as you progress you still have questions and TAG has increased my knowledge even further. Thanks Guys! you gotta keep pushing :-)
I am no smarty pants, I learned EVERYTHING from forums and hands on experience (some good and some bad haha). The love for tubes amps is something that brings us all together.