Bourns 95 guitar pot question

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

Bourns 95 guitar pot question

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hi all,
I have myself an epiphone sheraton ii pro that im in the process of upgrading. Ive got some lindy fralin p92s in it, and im about to install some bourns 95 pots and tropical fish tone caps.

My question is, is there any reason to ground the bushing/shaft of the pot with the supplied grounding washer? The guitar is unsheilded and im not sure if theres any real purpose to grounding this, so any answers would be wonderful. Thanks!
Not really
JazzGuitarGimp

Re: Bourns 95 guitar pot question

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

If you're using all metal knobs, you might notice some hum when you touch the knobs if the pots are not grounded. But if you're using plastic or wood knobs, no problem. My opinion....
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
bancika

Re: Bourns 95 guitar pot question

Post by bancika »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:12 am If you're using all metal knobs, you might notice some hum when you touch the knobs if the pots are not grounded. But if you're using plastic or wood knobs, no problem. My opinion....
Yes. I have bourns 95s in my ibanez that has metal knobs and there's some noise if I touch the knob without having my other hand on the strings. But I think I grounded the tab. Was long time ago :)
Check out my site with DIY gutars, amps and pedals http://diy-fever.com