Robben Ford at 20thCentury Theatre Wed 6/7/17

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

a j shaner

Robben Ford at 20thCentury Theatre Wed 6/7/17

Post by a j shaner »

Went to see Robben Ford Wednesday evening. Outstanding show.
Played as a trio.
Used what appeared to be a 52 Les Paul with the trapeze bridge and the Blonde ODS.

A master of tone and dynamics.
DenDanger

Re: Robben Ford at 20thCentury Theatre Wed 6/7/17

Post by DenDanger »

Great that you got to see a good show.
I passed by the theater numerous times in past week, thinking yeah I need to go check it out.
But I kinda hee-hawed around and never went.
It may be that the last time I went to see a show there, I had to wear earplugs and some of the
people around me were commenting how unbearably loud it was.
Just because the operator has this gargantuan JBL system, does he really have to push it?

Denny
drew

Post by drew »

^ I recently went to see Robin Trower at a venue that has a lot of rap and reggae shows. And the sound mix sounded like, take a friggin' guess :evil:
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I saw RF at the 20th C a couple of years back. It's a nice room, and it was a good show. The volume was reasonable even from the front row.
RustyChops

Post by RustyChops »

Saw Robben at the City Winery in N'ville last Monday 6/5/17. He was with The Big Blue Band. About a 15pc+ band with some very good players . The show was kind of a bluesy swing affair. He had a gold top Les Paul with the trapese tailpiece and "I think" P90 pups.
We sat about 20 feet straight back from the tan Dumble - which was pointed perpendicular to the stage and speaker faced backwards away from the brass section & towards the side curtains . ON the floor he had some kind of of midi pedal that when engaged gave him a synth sound (???). He used it a few times for solo stuff. A guy sitting next to me said there was a Zendrive & maybe the vertex boost (??) too.
It was not very loud & actually about just right for the room. I thought his tone was a bit woody, not a lot of bite and not what I was expecting. He played well and seemed to be having a lot fun running thru charts with the band and a lot of trading licks with the horn players. They played an hour set.
All in all a very nice evening but not the usual Robben Ford thang. Tickets were about 30 bucks so no complaints !!!