Notifications

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

amplifiednation

Notifications

Post by amplifiednation »

I can't seem to turn my notifications on?? Anyone else having the issue? I checked and my address is right, and I have it set to email me...but it's not working
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
RJ Guitars

Re: Notifications

Post by RJ Guitars »

I am having exactly the same problem... not sure what's up but hopefully if the WEB guru can see it enough times he will be able to fix it?? ALl efforts are greatly appreciated.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Yeah, it hasn't been working for quite a while...at least for me.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I have not been able to figure out why it doesn't work, I opened a help request to the phpbb people and never got a response... sorry :( I'm still not sure why email for some things work but not for notifications!

I may have to see if I can find some time to dig into the code that handles notification email and try to figure out what's up.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

I'm afraid I can't help (much)

Post by ChopSauce »

I think you can find procedures to troubleshoot the mailserver "part" of the forum software on some phpBB forum. Many problems already occured somewhere, before. Also, I know it is time consuming. so thank you for your involvement, and sorry: I am not competent in that area (either ;-)
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I know pretty well how to troubleshoot the mail part, I'm a systems engineer focused on email and messaging, but I have no ability to truly see what's going on with the host because it's hosted instead of being fully managed. They hide a lot of what's going on when a hosting provider manages the server. I can login, but only have user level access to the files etc. It's a tad frustrating, but it works. Another example of something I think is related to hosting. When I first installed the software, it would only hold your 'new posts' with the last day or two of posts, and I'd never have more than say 20 or 30 in that area (after I've viewed them that is), but now it sticks around for sometimes weeks and then suddenly cleans up... it's silly how things randomly just don't work like that.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I am not sure I caught all the details about the "new post" erratic behaviour. My understanding of english has much room for improvement.

Anyway, yet the web hosting does show an erratic behaviour in some areas, I can't understand how it would be able to handlie some messaging features and completely fail in others. Maybe my opinion is biased bymy ignorance about system networking but - as you suggested it: a phpBB issue seems as likely.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Basically, the email notifications from messages happen instantly based upon the messages being posted, but notifications on direct messages happen through a different subsystem in the code (I'm not sure why...) so the notifications on posts you've subscribed to work, but those on direct messages don't.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!