The slow death of the electric guitar

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drew

The slow death of the electric guitar

Post by drew »

The slow, secret death of the electric guitar. And why you should care.
http://wapo.st/2rGOr3k

Discuss . . .
MakerDP

Re: The slow death of the electric guitar

Post by MakerDP »

I see it every day at work.... I'm a middle school teacher....

These are the days of instant gratification.... YouTube, Google, video games, parents who give them whatever they want the moment they want it and let them move from thing to thing on a whim... everything a kid could want is at their fingertips instantly. They are addicted to technology and can not put it away! (So are many parents BTW.) If it takes work or, God forbid, actual DISCIPLINE to achieve something, kids are not interested as much as they were before the days of the Internet.

Also, parents over-scheduling their kids' lives is becoming an epidemic. Three or four youth sports per year, travelling teams, tutoring... kids don't have TIME to sit down and be curious, inquisitive, persistent... all things you need to master an instrument, or at least explore it even.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

drew wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:02 am The slow, secret death of the electric guitar. And why you should care.
http://wapo.st/2rGOr3k

Discuss . . .
That article was in my local paper a few days ago.

I ran across this awhile back, it is good reading about GC, but one man's opinion so take it for what's It's worth.

http://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

MakerDP wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:08 pm I see it every day at work.... I'm a middle school teacher....

These are the days of instant gratification.... YouTube, Google, video games, parents who give them whatever they want the moment they want it and let them move from thing to thing on a whim... everything a kid could want is at their fingertips instantly. They are addicted to technology and can not put it away! (So are many parents BTW.) If it takes work or, God forbid, actual DISCIPLINE to achieve something, kids are not interested as much as they were before the days of the Internet.

Also, parents over-scheduling their kids' lives is becoming an epidemic. Three or four youth sports per year, travelling teams, tutoring... kids don't have TIME to sit down and be curious, inquisitive, persistent... all things you need to master an instrument, or at least explore it even.
Not just kids, adults as well!

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah the day I realized that kids and adults thought is was OK to answer and talk on there cell phones during a lesson was the day I quit teaching guitar.
CW
ChopSauce

Re-centering the market of electric guitar

Post by ChopSauce »

ToneMerc wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:05 am I ran across this awhile back, it is good reading about GC, but one man's opinion so take it for what's It's worth.

http://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/

TM
You"re way to kind. I find that Mr Garland deserves far less credits than he seem to have. He claims this paper supports a thesis but the fundation for his opinions are non named sources and assertions. That's an imposture, from my point of view.

Did he stated that the online business (roughly) and the growing specialization in -every- sector of human activity is slowly eroding this niche market?

Of course too many people are specializing as brainless customers - possibly screwed to their phones...

(such as the clients of Mr Garland.... :mrgreen: )

... but I can't both watch so able young talents on Youtube vids and think that the title of this thread really is :|
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Good read. Thanks for posting.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
drew

Post by drew »