100 watt heaven

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

100 watt heaven

Post by xtian »

Recently I joined a second classic rock cover band (two bands now share guitarist and bassist), expanded my reportiore to about 100 songs total, and started playing gigs with the new band. The two bands have different approaches to sound.

Band 1 includes a full time engineer, a digital mixer (Behringer X32), IEMs, and controlled stage volume. I have been playing my 30 watt 6G6B inspired combo, but monitor my guitar mostly through my IEMs.

Band 2 is just four guys, no dedicated engineer, wedge monitors, and a set-it-and-forget-it PA system. Much louder stage volume. I tried using the same amp for our first gig, and it was overwhelmed. Found myself thinking something had broken, because I had no clean headroom left. Nope, just exceeded the ability of the amp to cope with the volume.

So for the next gig I got my Marshall JCM 800 2203 out of the closet—it hasn’t seen an audience since my AC/DC tribute band retired. THAT’s the ticket! What fun to feel the chug of rhythm guitar slap you in the ass.

And the next gig I brought my 100 watt ODS build. Also great! And more flexible than the Marshall with the channel switching. Same cab for both gigs: Avatar 2x12 with 80s Marshall Celestion G12K 85s.

I have one more amp to try: 1971 Fender Twin Reverb. What fun. Now if only I could get a roadie to carry these damned things.

AA4F6B52-8BA6-465F-B068-18DAE1D792D0.jpeg
8D390012-CC18-4AD7-8259-C85B207D9248.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
xtian

Re: 100 watt heaven

Post by xtian »

Oh, and did I say I LOVE my Carvins? Holy shit.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Be careful with the dB's! I can tell you from experience that tinnitus and hearing loss is no day in the park. I had a set of musician's earplugs molded for my ears, and fitted with 15dB filters. I carried them around for years. Tried to use them a handful of times and felt so disconnected from my guitar that I stopped trying. 30 years later, I am finally using them all the time. Been doing so for about a year now. Of course, the damage is already done, and as I am sure you know, is irreversible. They do take some getting used to, but I'm here to tell you it can be done. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than the inevitable alternative.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 am Oh, and did I say I LOVE my Carvins? Holy shit.
Yeah, your Carvins are killer. I have three Carvin/Kiesel Holdsworth HH1Xs. Best guitars I've ever owned or played.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:44 am Be careful with the dB's! I can tell you from experience that tinnitus and hearing loss is no day in the park. I had a set of musician's earplugs molded for my ears, and fitted with 15dB filters. I carried them around for years. Tried to use them a handful of times and felt so disconnected from my guitar that I stopped trying. 30 years later, I am finally using them all the time. Been doing so for about a year now. Of course, the damage is already done, and as I am sure you know, is irreversible. They do take some getting used to, but I'm here to tell you it can be done. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than the inevitable alternative.

Wise words, the older guys I work with all have permanent quite severe hearing damage/problems. I've been using protection for 10-15 years now and was an early adopter, I have friends now my age (50) who are wearing hearing aids. I agree it's not as fulfilling when you use plugs/IEM's but you do get used to it and NOT going deaf or having tinnitus is a price worth paying I'd say.

Enjoy your music :D

M
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice gear for sure.

I used to live near the original Carvin plant in California so have been using their guitars and amps since 1975 great guitars.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Nice Carvins... I've loved them from the first time I played one.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Sounds like a lot of fun!

I hope that you do care for your ears too.
xtian

Post by xtian »

All right, y'all are super sweet, but you can stop worrying about my hearing. :D :roll:

ears.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

That Carvin semi hollow makes me firm. I whittled down to 9 instruments but i might have to make an exception. I did a few builds with Carvin necks, and my fretless is a Carvin LB76F. They are some of the best instruments made IMHO.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Deleted, double poet.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.