Known Problems with the Site

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Known Problems with the Site

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I have two major problems going on with the site, and have had people asking about it, so I wanted to document them here. I'll keep this first post updated when I know there are issues, so people can check here to see, if not please reply here so everyone can see the latest notes etc.

The current issues:

1. The PM's and Updates no longer send out email. It even seems that almost no email is working right now.
2. The Tapatalk plugin no longer works, I'm getting errors in the logs that make no sense. - Fixed

At this time, I suspect both are due to the hosting provider but I can't get support to work right now either, I spent 10 minutes in a 'support chat' with nobody actually saying anything.

I've talked with Allyn about 1. but have no clear path forward yet.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
frankdrebin

Re: Known Problems with the Site

Post by frankdrebin »

yes,cant login with tapatalk
didit

Post by didit »

Uncertain whether this was noted already. Regularly find certain internal links broken. Invariably these are in older posts, with the form "ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=######" where the number presumably is an file/object ID for photos or similar. The result of 'click-through' is the not so gratifying message <No route found for "GET /download/file.php"> Recent stumbled upon examples are in the following post from 2012 --- http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p219981. Perhaps simply the unsavoury byproduct of upgrading to get off the black list, or is there maybe some potential to repair this somewhat damaged history.

Best .. Ian
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Just a small one...

On the board index page, upper right is a statement that tells when you last visited the site. For me it always reads "Last visit was: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 am". Never changes.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

didit wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm Uncertain whether this was noted already. Regularly find certain internal links broken. Invariably these are in older posts, with the form "ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=######" where the number presumably is an file/object ID for photos or similar. The result of 'click-through' is the not so gratifying message <No route found for "GET /download/file.php"> Recent stumbled upon examples are in the following post from 2012 --- http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p219981. Perhaps simply the unsavoury byproduct of upgrading to get off the black list, or is there maybe some potential to repair this somewhat damaged history.

Best .. Ian
I think this is possibly that the old site had either some custom download tool, or the phpbb 2 version had a plugin, and it didn't get migrated over to 3 I think all the files still exist, but not sure how to find the path to all of those. I may have to look into that a bit. Maybe there's a new 'download' type replacement and the same 'id' will work, and it's just a matter of me updating all the db links to the old path into the new path. I'll tinker.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm Just a small one...

On the board index page, upper right is a statement that tells when you last visited the site. For me it always reads "Last visit was: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 am". Never changes.
That is an odd one, I think that several of the automated things on this site no longer work due to some change by the hosting provider. That's likely something that gets put in a batch job to be updated later and it never happens, like PM emails and updated thread emails. Just another problem that 'doesn't exist on other sites' that we have here, I think due to the hosting provider being crap.

I recently got onto one of their 'chat now' windows and waited for like 10 mins with not even a 'hello' from the support person that 'joined' in with me and gave up.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:31 pm
didit wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm Uncertain whether this was noted already. Regularly find certain internal links broken. Invariably these are in older posts, with the form "ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=######" where the number presumably is an file/object ID for photos or similar. The result of 'click-through' is the not so gratifying message <No route found for "GET /download/file.php"> Recent stumbled upon examples are in the following post from 2012 --- http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p219981. Perhaps simply the unsavoury byproduct of upgrading to get off the black list, or is there maybe some potential to repair this somewhat damaged history.

Best .. Ian
I think this is possibly that the old site had either some custom download tool, or the phpbb 2 version had a plugin, and it didn't get migrated over to 3 I think all the files still exist, but not sure how to find the path to all of those. I may have to look into that a bit. Maybe there's a new 'download' type replacement and the same 'id' will work, and it's just a matter of me updating all the db links to the old path into the new path. I'll tinker.

~Phil

I think I figured it out already. The new format is: http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14346 where the old is http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14346

I need to likely update all the db entries that have

download/file.php and change it to download/file.php and that should fix it. I hope :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Best .. Ian

~Phil

I think I figured it out already. The new format is: http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14346 where the old is http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14346

I need to likely update all the db entries that have

download/file.php and change it to download/file.php and that should fix it. I hope :)

~Phil
Okay I was able to fix this. SOme of the attachments were deleted, so you'll now get a 'the file doesn't exist anymore' type message, but on that link you gave, several now find the right link.
Thanks for reporting that!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:32 pm Okay I was able to fix this. SOme of the attachments were deleted, so you'll now get a 'the file doesn't exist anymore' type message, but on that link you gave, several now find the right link.
Thanks for reporting that!
Excellent, and ever so fast to patch.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Okay so I did fix tapatalk today, I looked into just reinstalling it, and that seems to have fixed it. Not sure what I did in the recent 'update' I tried, but that seems to have restored it. Now if I can just get email working.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
rooster

Post by rooster »

Phil, what does this time stamp actually mean: by pompeiisneaks » 18 72017v 6:12 -07:00Oct

Obviously I get the name part, but how do you read the time stamp?
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Odd I don't see that, could be a problem with your browser cache? try a different browser and see if you get the same behavior or try to clear cache (this sucks, I know, all saved data is lost and you get to re-login to everything again, but sometimes it fixes really weird stuff)

Here's mine:
datestamp.png
~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh I did some looking around, and found an area you can 'change' the format of the date, maybe for your user account that got 'corrupted' you can go to your name in the top right, go to User Control Panel, and then look at this shot, you can change it to what you want here. Saving that in a format that you like may 'fix' it for you.

settings.png
~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
rooster

Post by rooster »

Phil, Thank You for this last bit of info, it changed the date to something I can understand! You Rock!! :D
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
ChopSauce

Disconnected while editing

Post by ChopSauce »

I have been disconnected while editing my message and I lost its content, while attempting to preview it.

My fault maybe?

This is frustrating, anyway.

I can use a text editor prior to posting, but couldn't the time before disconnecting a user be changed to something longer - provided it is both easy enough to achieve and desirable?