For Your Viewing/Listening Pleasure

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

For Your Viewing/Listening Pleasure

Post by dorrisant »

I found myself a bit absorbed. I feel like I need to go back to episode 1 and see if I missed anything.

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-6fCd ... e=youtu.be
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Colossal

Re: For Your Viewing/Listening Pleasure

Post by Colossal »

Really no revelations regarding the whole is-it-stock discussion, but interesting nonetheless. I've built a '68 to the Dave Friedman stated values and it was a pretty killer sounding amp. There were slight differences in the '68 preamp bias and bypass cap values, depending on when they were made. '67, '68, and '69s are all great amps!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Dave, what is your favorite Marshall circuit?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

dorrisant wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm Dave, what is your favorite Marshall circuit?
Jeez Tony, that's a hard one. I have to say, a '68 with soft filtering and 820R on Bright, Normal stages and 820R on V2a is pretty amazing. Plenty of gain too. I love the elasticity of it. It has the classic woody/clanky Marshall sound that feels good under the fingers. Beautifully organic with a Les Paul. The ones I've built responded particularly well to the (Rich) Master Volume Mod (variant on the Lar/Mar PPIMV). I've also added variable NFB as well as a switchable tap for the NFB source just for some flexibility. That really has an effect on the tightness/looseness of the sound and feel. To just do a stock '68 would be fine too. I've heard particularly heavy sounding '67s. Then there's the '69s with their stiffer filtering and 2k7/0.68uF/0.0022uF bright channel. All are great sounding amps. For me, I find I like a little more give under the fingers maybe, so I don't like stiff amps that make you feel like you have to wring the notes out to get something going.

Also, the 18W Lite IIb version of the 1974 is pretty fantastic! Can't forget that one :)

Have a listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxEDx-68xOo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

4 hour 44 mins? wow that's kinda long :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:42 pm 4 hour 44 mins? wow that's kinda long :P

~Phil
The Van Halen discussion is all on the front end, so if you're interested in that, it's all in the first twenty minutes or so (well, at least the part that I watched).
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've watched all the Tone Talk videos but I'm retired and tired so watching videos passes my time.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Colossal wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 pm
dorrisant wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm Dave, what is your favorite Marshall circuit?
Jeez Tony, that's a hard one. I have to say, a '68 with soft filtering and 820R on Bright, Normal stages and 820R on V2a is pretty amazing. Plenty of gain too. I love the elasticity of it. It has the classic woody/clanky Marshall sound that feels good under the fingers. Beautifully organic with a Les Paul. The ones I've built responded particularly well to the (Rich) Master Volume Mod (variant on the Lar/Mar PPIMV). I've also added variable NFB as well as a switchable tap for the NFB source just for some flexibility. That really has an effect on the tightness/looseness of the sound and feel. To just do a stock '68 would be fine too. I've heard particularly heavy sounding '67s. Then there's the '69s with their stiffer filtering and 2k7/0.68uF/0.0022uF bright channel. All are great sounding amps. For me, I find I like a little more give under the fingers maybe, so I don't like stiff amps that make you feel like you have to wring the notes out to get something going.

Also, the 18W Lite IIb version of the 1974 is pretty fantastic! Can't forget that one :)

Have a listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxEDx-68xOo
Ok that Super Lead in the video sounds really amazing! Thanks for sharing Dave. If I was to only have 1 Marshall amp this would be the one. Only worry would be that my neighbors would be knocking at my door LOL.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks for posting that clip, Dave. Some of his other videos look interesting too.

The Tone Talk video is pretty cool even though it is long... There are some interesting stories in there that reveal some history about amp builders. Some mention of HAD in there too. Good to listen to while building. 😊