New guy from Dallas

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JCF

New guy from Dallas

Post by JCF »

Hello all! First time poster here. I'm JC from Dallas. Been mostly a Marshall guy my whole life but, recently very intrigued by the Trainwreck stuff. A lot of the discussions are a bit over my head so far but, I'm tryin! LOL. I guess I'll start off by asking the big noob question. Who builds a great TW amp these days? The JM stuff is a bit out of my price range. Should I look at Ceriatone, Kane, or someone on this forum perhaps? Thanks in advance for any help on my journey!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: New guy from Dallas

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Welcome!

There are quite a few great builders on this forum, but as for price, they're all likely to be more than the JM one you're referring to, as those are more 'mass produced' and not 100% hand built, or likely a bit 'less' hand built. The rest here would build them from scratch. This means they require a lot more time, and therefore cost a lot more. Most well built hand wired amps go between 2500 and 5000$ due to the effort required. Ceriatone's prices may be reasonable, because they're made in china, and also somewhat to a price, but are well built from what I've heard. If you buy the kits they're not too expensive either, but their end user support has been less than stellar.

Getting a hand built clone is really worth it, and an investment in an amp that will last a LONG time, but, understandably, it can be out of reach for many. Save up that hard earned cash and hopefully you'll be able to get one. Or if you really feel courageous you could build your own :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
lumox0013

Post by lumox0013 »

Welcome , there is a wealth of knowledge here for research and many of us build for fun and extra money on the side. I would check the for sale section on this site if I were you but I would do your research first because the three different trainwreck amps have different dynamics. good luck to you, bye the way I have been playing through my rocket clone for about a decade they are hard to beat. cheers
Live , Love , Learn
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Hi!

Phil amost said it all. Let me add a few notes about building the amp yourself, which is most members of the forum are doing. You might understand why the price asked from small amp builders, as a sequel.

So, you won't built an amp to spare money - except if you are a worthy tech with low labour wage and parts at hand. You'll do that because it's a rewarding process and because you will learn how to fine tune it in the same time. Note that the outcome might be both sounding awesome and cosmetically perfectible - because the finishing also costs and doesn't sound either :wink:

As usual in the DIY world: you'll end up paying x times the price for the parts you'll be using, when compared to a company.

Welcome to the garage, anyway -
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

ChopSauce wrote:Hi!
So, you won't built an amp to spare money - except if you are a worthy tech with low labour wage and parts at hand. You'll do that because it's a rewarding process and because you will learn how to fine tune it in the same time. Note that the outcome might be both sounding awesome and cosmetically perfectible - because the finishing also costs and doesn't sound either :wink:

As usual in the DIY world: you'll end up paying x times the price for the parts you'll be using, when compared to a company.

Welcome to the garage, anyway -
JCF I did start my first build in May last year and I am still in the middle of it. I am not a professional builder, nor am I trained in electronics. I do have a regular 9to5 job, wife and kids and a guitar to play!

All this to say, building is a labor of love and patience. I have learned a lot on setting the amp as well (finally got to understand how the Presence knob works ). The experts on this forum are exceptionally helpful and passionate!

And the more you get into it, the more you want it!

Humble and Dumble,

Fred.
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Welcome buddy,Great forumn here,Everybody is very easy going and kind.Ive met some good friends here and there are really talented people here that share their knowledge no matter what level of skills you have.I allways need help,Im good with wood and cabs but thats about it.Its just a great group of people and you dont allways see that on line.Great sources here for parts and kits from rj.I built three TW circuits from getting kits from him.Getting ready to finish my 50 what marshall that was givin to me by a man who passed away last year.He gave me everthing I need to build this and I need a little help.Great to have you aboaed,Mikey :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Garthhog

Post by Garthhog »

JCF, welcome. I am just north of you in McKinney.

The wealth of information on this forum is amazing. I am an electrical engineer, so one would think I'd have more of the answers when it comes to building these fantastic machines, yet I refer to this site all of the time when I am running into problems... an education is no replacement for experience. There are some VERY smart, VERY helpful builders here and it is a great place to start getting your feet wet.

-Ryan
Ryan Brown
Brown Amplification LLC
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

JCF,

I'm also a fellow DFW'er, just east in Rockwall! I used to post here under "beasleybodyshop" but lost access to that account :(

If your looking for an Express type build, send me a PM - I have one in a nice Paduak headcab for sale. Love to meet fellow amp enthusiasts, especially local ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

xtian

Post by xtian »

dbeasley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 am JCF,

I'm also a fellow DFW'er, just east in Rockwall! I used to post here under "beasleybodyshop" but lost access to that account :(

If your looking for an Express type build, send me a PM - I have one in a nice Paduak headcab for sale. Love to meet fellow amp enthusiasts, especially local ones.

Welcome back, Beez!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

xtian wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 am
dbeasley wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 am JCF,

Welcome back, Beez!
I was wondering where you went Mr. Beasley. Good to see you here! LG
down technical blind alleys . . .