AX84 ending

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

AX84 ending

Post by Phil_S »

Chris is closing AX84. He says that he doesn't have the time needed to tend to the new Euro privacy requirements, so he's pulling the plug. What has happened in this world that things have become so complicated? Sad news, indeed. A great forum and a great library are mere days from their end.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: AX84 ending

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I think I offered to take the site over from him some time back and he replied he's rethinking things and then never replied back. He's had several other opportunities to pass the torch and seemed to not take them up. Oh well. Definitely a bummer that site's going away.

The new regulations in europe seem weird, not sure they'd apply to community forums like this, but then, hey, what do I know.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Lame. Phil! Grab those schematics for posterity, please.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

it's mad, everyone with a website, mailing list/forum etc is now having to describe the ways they hold on to any information of yours. It was put into place because of the recent Facebook/Zuckerberg debacle.

M
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I am resigned to the idea that the forum will be lost. There are some very knowledgeable people who post there who have generously shared their expertise. I expect they will find another venue. What is more distressing is the loss of the library. I wish that it would be possible for someone to house the resource catalog to make it available. The storage requirements are fairly small. I downloaded about 2 dozen PDFs yesterday. There just aren't that many. I skipped the sound clips.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

It's easy to copy an entire website to your HD. I used HTTrack to copy Schematic Heaven years ago when it was up/down almost daily.

http://www.httrack.com/
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

ax84.com wrote:AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:17 pm It's easy to copy an entire website to your HD. I used HTTrack to copy Schematic Heaven years ago when it was up/down almost daily.

http://www.httrack.com/
Yeah I'll get that done today, and think about how to host it for people. Maybe I'll just create a new subforum here called ax84 bones :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

I still plan to build the October Studio 2 watt amp, and I downloaded the PDFs. But as it stands now, I won't be able to go back and consult the numerous threads on this amp and related projects.

The plan documents are great, but a lot of good stuff never got added to the site as plan documents. For example the Jalapeno tone stack.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

But as it stands now, I won't be able to go back and consult the numerous threads on this amp and related projects.
Why not?
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Hmm, I now see what you mean, there is a statement in red letters "AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future! "

But I also see Chris's recent thread titled "Discussion Forum Closing Down" started about 9 days ago, which states the forum is being shut down

I think the red letter text wording is left over from about a year ago when Chris stated his intent to end the forum, and then on 6/5/17 announced he was keeping it open. The wording is very similar to the red text. http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=499490

So, I could be wrong but it looks like, contrary to the red text, it really is going away this time, although he posted there may be something in the works for someone else to make it available.

I hope it does happen that someone else makes the forum contents accessible, or that the site is kept open.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

pullshocks wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:59 am Hmm, I now see what you mean, there is a statement in red letters "AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future! "

But I also see Chris's recent thread titled "Discussion Forum Closing Down" started about 9 days ago, which states the forum is being shut down

I think the red letter text wording is left over from about a year ago when Chris stated his intent to end the forum, and then on 6/5/17 announced he was keeping it open. The wording is very similar to the red text. http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=499490

So, I could be wrong but it looks like, contrary to the red text, it really is going away this time, although he posted there may be something in the works for someone else to make it available.

I hope it does happen that someone else makes the forum contents accessible, or that the site is kept open.
That 'staying here for the foreseeable future' quote was from like 8 months ago when he indicated he wanted to shut it down or pass it off. I offered to take it on but he declined and then posted that. The concern is from what you saw in the more recent post about it being 'hard' to deal with the new EU regulations, but I don't think it is as much for free forums like this one. The only data it 'may' store is what you decide to put in it, and if you don't want that data you can remove it. That and I don't see any forums so far datamining people's likely fake info on their profile a la facebook to cause issues :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

When I saw this original thread posted on May 24 I immediately went to ax84.com. My thinking was just like most people, better get what I want before it disappears. So, I saved all the project files that I thought I may ever be interested in. I visited numerous pages that day. I never noticed any "AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future. Game on!" notice on any pages. I revisited the next day and that notice was very apparent on EVERY page. So, based on that I 'assumed' something had changed in 24 hours and now the site really was gonna be around.

So, I guess I should ask, "Does anyone really know the status of ax84.com's future?"
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I don't know the answer to that question, but the wayback machine's archive of the page from 2017 shows that "AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future. Game on!" see here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171120084 ... /ax84.com/

You may have missed it, but that was a big thing back around that time last year. the latest comment thread reads as follows:
Discussion Forum Closing Down
Author: Chris Hurley (moderator: 7856 posts )
Date: Wed, May 23rd, 2018 @ 14:01 (9 days ago)
With heavy heart I must announce that we are shutting down the AX84 discussion forum in a few days.

With the looming impact of new EU regulations on personal data and being able to remove anything you've ever posted, I just have no energy to make sure that AX84 isn't running afoul of these things in some way.

In the past, people have volunteered to start forums and the like. Hopefully, someone will announce that they have a forum available that can be the new home for these discussions.

I expect to keep the main project documents online for a while but I would recommend making personal copies of these things for future use.

Its been a great ride. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Best regards,

Chris
tUber Nerd!
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

Several of the AX84 pages have "Site Update" entries dated June 1 2018 at 09:54 or so indication the site is staying up....

Updates: Fri, Jun 01st, 2018 @ 09:54:09

Updates to pages about
'fxprojects'
have been completed.

Site News

AX84 is staying put right here for the foreseeable future!

Bob
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max