70s Peavey Sleeper

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

MeanMrMustard

70s Peavey Sleeper

Post by MeanMrMustard »

I’m sure some of you guys will be slightly offended but I don’t care. This thing is actually kinda badass IMO and they can be had cheap as shit, and one might think they are garbage, but this unit walking in the door recently offers the contrary. Nearly 100% original except someone de soldered the DIN socket pins at some point. Other than missing speakers first and foremost, I noticed the reverb plug was backwards and of course a burst reservoir cap, that was it for maladies. Replaced the 1000uf 35v pair too because I want it good for another 20 yrs. original Sylvania 6L6s and in terrific shape. Still kicking. Peavey ain’t all bad. Peavey USA anyway. This amp has a cool overdrive. Ultra linear output with 560v on the plates. Interesting tranny setup too at the output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xtian

Re: 70s Peavey Sleeper

Post by xtian »

I've been buying old Peaveys to convert. Good iron, good cabinets!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

xtian wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm I've been buying old Peaveys to convert. Good iron, good cabinets!
Absolutely :D

I was really impressed when I dismantlement the first one I bought. 30 odd years old and everything was still great. Really well put together amp, i can see why they lasted on the road.

M
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It's my understanding Lynyrd Skynyrd used Peavey stuff. It was the local manufacturer of stuff they could afford back in the day. I think folks can agree they had plenty of tone.
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

I thought the OT looked more than adequate and it sounds good! I don’t know why I’m so amused by the Saturation control.. probably because I’ve been reading and studying SS lately. Wanna build a pedal. Like really heavy.

Measured the output yesterday and almost 55w clean. Not bad at all for being so original. I’m sure those Sylvanias play a part in this thing sounding nice. Speakers too. Didn’t like the creams much before but they sit very nicely in there.
didit

Post by didit »

Yes .. But please keep it down. They go for around $150-200 right now. One cannot get a decent set of transformers for that.

Best .. Ian
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

didit wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:30 pm Yes .. But please keep it down. They go for around $150-200 right now. One cannot get a decent set of transformers for that.

Best .. Ian
LOL you’re right, much like them 5v4/5R4s.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

That Peavey will be making noise long after we're gone. If it's a good racket, all the better!

No Peavey hate here....
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

Actually my customer’s description of it coming in was “sounds like a pack of cats” or something along those lines :lol:
ampmike

Post by ampmike »

Peavey Mace was the skynyrd amp.Every now an then Ill do a search for one.They are still around. :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
xtian

Post by xtian »

ampmike wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:55 pm Peavey Mace was the skynyrd amp.Every now an then Ill do a search for one.They are still around. :D
I repaired one this week. Its 400R/10W power resistor was burning the PCB. Six 6L6GCs for 150 watts. Was loaded with two EVM 12Ls. Whole packaged weighed 3.7 tonnes, and broke three of my plate glass windows when I turned it up to 1.5 on the dial. Owner was happy.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

xtian wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 pm
ampmike wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:55 pm Peavey Mace was the skynyrd amp.Every now an then Ill do a search for one.They are still around. :D
I repaired one this week. Its 400R/10W power resistor was burning the PCB. Six 6L6GCs for 150 watts. Was loaded with two EVM 12Ls. Whole packaged weighed 3.7 tonnes, and broke three of my plate glass windows when I turned it up to 1.5 on the dial. Owner was happy.
This made me rofl ;D HAHAHA

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Sounds like the same output section as my old Alphabass. Maybe mine has a bigger Xfmr for bass use (as it is a full 4 tons).
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

xtian wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:28 pm I repaired one this week. Its 400R/10W power resistor was burning the PCB. Six 6L6GCs for 150 watts. Was loaded with two EVM 12Ls. Whole packaged weighed 3.7 tonnes, and broke three of my plate glass windows when I turned it up to 1.5 on the dial. Owner was happy.
Coffee came out my nose on that one. What is the equivalent of 3.7 in f%(k tons??? Is there a conversion calculator on the interwebs?