Rick Beato interviews Robben Ford

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Rick Beato interviews Robben Ford

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Just started watching it myself, but due the the number of people here that might be interested, here you go:

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
telentubes

Re: Rick Beato interviews Robben Ford

Post by telentubes »

Yeah. That was good. Rick made a point of trying to ask questions that hadn't been asked before in your typical guitar hero interview. I think he did a good job with that in mind.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Nice. The interviewer asked the right questions... Robben is as animated as I've ever seen him in one of these things. Lots of musical leads to follow in there too!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Good chat...but how can you sit there with a guitar in your hand, and not play a note?!?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

martin manning wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:28 am Nice. The interviewer asked the right questions... Robben is as animated as I've ever seen him in one of these things. Lots of musical leads to follow in there too!
Yeah, this was one of the best interviews of Ford I've seen. Inspiring stuff. I really got a kick out of hearing Robben recount his experiences with Miles Davis. FWIW, there is a very good documentary on Miles Davis on Netflix streaming right now called "Birth Of The Cool". I was impressed with Rick Beato's line of questions too and it was fun to see him sitting there obviously thinking how cool it was to be interviewing one of his heroes. Some good insight about Ford's use of #102 throughout the years as well as (not) on Purple House.
drew

Post by drew »

xtian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:48 pm Good chat...but how can you sit there with a guitar in your hand, and not play a note?!?
I found myself wishing that Beato could have annotated the interview with played examples of the musical concepts that were discussed. Still, very interesting talk.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Rick Beato has good videos you should watch, he is a good interviewer.

Mark
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

I can't stand Beato. Ever read his video's comments when someone disagrees with him? His response basically is "and that's why you will always suck and never win a grammy like me." No thanks.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I too was lead to the Miles doc. Very good as well.
As far as the new Ford record, Purple House, I guess I'm stuck in the past and missed #102, and the plug in, hit record, and play that Robben's bands are so good at. Some of the production was really creative, but a lot of it had that "assembled" sound that prevails these days, and sounds contrived to me. I don't mean to be too critical, I'm still a big fan.
I heard another recent interview with Robbed where he mentions Blake Mills as producer he admires. I think Blake is brilliant and would love to hear what he could do with Robben's tunes. Robben seems to be thriving in Nashville.
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

It was interesting to hear how Robben describes the current state of the recording industry, and the regression of musicianship as the standard direction becomes more toward artist development. I personally like the majority of videos Beato does. He has some interesting topics. The one he did on string gauge was provoking.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I wonder who RF is referring to when he talks about players who are all technique with no feeling? ;^)
Doug R.

Post by Doug R. »

I'm not sure who RF was referring to, but I have a similar opinion of a lot of today' s players. I am very old school...started playing in bands in the 1960's. I was fortunate to learn at an early age that being able to express emotion into your solos is more important than playing a lot of notes really fast. I was pleasantly surprised by his response to this question.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Everything is relative. In a Guitar World mag (?) they used to do a thing where they would interview some *famous* guitar player and during the interview they would skip to a part where they played a record by another contemporary guitar player (they don't tell the person being interviewed who it is), maybe just a section of a guitar part in a song or two, and then asked the interviewee what he thought. Yep, this was a real thing but I can't wonder if this particular interview didn't stop the train.

OK, Jeff Healey is being interviewed. The interviewer gets to the part where he plays the song parts and then asks Jeff what he thinks about the guitar playing. Jeff comments, 'Well maybe the guy can play, but he has no feeling. It's like listening to a machine, I find it hard to listen to.'

Yep, it was Robben Ford.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

rooster wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:29 am
OK, Jeff Healey is being interviewed. The interviewer gets to the part where he plays the song parts and then asks Jeff what he thinks about the guitar playing. Jeff comments, 'Well maybe the guy can play, but he has no feeling. It's like listening to a machine, I find it hard to listen to.'

Yep, it was Robben Ford.
Old joke but very appropriate here...

How many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

13... one to actually do it and a dozen to sit around and say they could do it better.